iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw safety pants...how much kevlar is enough?

Started by zackman1801, March 25, 2008, 09:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman1801

hey guys, im looking for a pair of chainsaw pants. ive used chaps enough already to know i dont like the way they fit, wear, or move around while walking or cutting. So im looking into pants. I was recently (about 5 mins ago) looking at some pants on Baileys website and saw that they had a pair for about $75 which is about my price range. but these pants said "2 layers of kevlar material, and 2 layers of polyester felt" now i know that kevlar is good and can bind up saws but is 2 layers really safe enough especially for professional logging use? i know when guys talk about nicking the chaps they say it gets down 2-3 layers, on these pants that third layer would be your skin! Should i be worried about using these if i do buy them or should i just look else were and get my self a safer pair of pants?

Also If not these pants does anyone know whre i can get a pair of pants for $75-$80 with a waist of around 40-42" (im not a small guy!) I really need to get some since im going to be starting up soon when the snow goes down and i cant go in the woods without being properly dressed. ( you wouldent go to the office in your underpants now would you?)
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

sawguy21

The pants should be rated by chain threshold speed, the maximum chain speed that they will resist before tender flesh is reached. Here the minimum for WCB coverage is 3600fpm which provides good protection. There are pants rated for 3900 and 4100 but they tend to be bulky and hot in the summer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

arojay

Not sure which pants you are looking at but I bought a pair from Baileys last year.  They are green and have zippers on the lower leg.  They are rated for wcb and the big bonus,  they fit over my winter caulks.  Husqvarna and other 'brand' names I tried don't.  My take is that when they added the protection at the calf and back of the leg, they just added it inside the pantsleg and lost the space that used to be there for boots.  At any rate they are pretty decent for winter.  Thin at the backside but snow doesn't stick the them too much.  I got some small cuts in thehell from sharp limbs and one from a saw tooth, not running.  I sewed the cut in the shell and glued over.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

thecfarm

Check out Labonville in Rumford or Farmington.They should have them too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roger 4400

Hi   !   My pants are 1/4 to 3/8 inches thick kevlar (Husqvarna) and Hot ..hot    hot... but yerterday I was VERY LUCKY I had them. I,ll tell you HOW STUPID I WAS..... I have a big pile of firewood (maple, beech..) to cut in 16 in. The logs are frozen (?) together. I cut a big log ,over my 16 in blade ,and instead of cutting the rest from my SAFE position, I STUPIDELY put my right leg between the log I was cutting and the big pile AND IT HAPPENED...... a 14 in.maple log over 16 ft long with two smaller logs over it rolled on my leg compressing it on the **runner log on the ground * so my ankle is trapped on the runner and a big not from the rolling log is compressing my calf and pants. I had +- 1,000 pounds compressing my leg. I could not free myself. It was very painfull.I tried in pulling the pants...impossible. After 5 minutes I tought of carefully cut the lower log but I was affraid that the other two would roll on my back and breaking me in two. I could not see any neighbor ( over 500 ft) I thought I would wait for my wife to come back from work........in an hour or so...and then my pants were so thight over my SAFETY HUSQVARNA FELLER BOOTS I felt I had no more blood going to my foot and the foot felt dizzy...I was desperate.SO i put my other calf under the firts log and with the 2 legs I put as much energy I could and with both hands I pulled on the pants to tear them or free myself............luckily I got free..........those pants do not tear.  Today I can barely walk, my leg is one and a half bigger than normal but nothin is broken ONLY compressed muscle and blood came to the skin surface in FRONT of the leg du to the terrific pression of the pants on the skin etc....I AM SURE THAT WITHOUT MY PANTS AND WITHOUT THAT TICKNESS IT WOULD BEEN BROKEN.. I WAS VERY    VERY    VERY   STUPID  to put my leg between those logs.....but WISE ENOUGH to put safety PANTS..BOOTH...AND EVEN I HAD MY SAFETY HAT..........so be safe    SAFE    SAFE  and remember that safety equipment do not replace a S A F E    B E H A V I O R............................Humbly                 Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Ron Scott

Lucky! ;) We work around log decks all the time and need to be careful when doing so.
~Ron

thecfarm

Stupid would be not learning from your mistake and doing it again.We all get careless at time.Glad you are OK.There a husband and wife in NH that get trapped by a big piece of ice that slid off the wood pile.She was able to get herself free but had to get the fire dept to free her husband.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhog

This wood cutting is so dangerous...

Everyone should have a fully charged cell phone with them at all times...you cant think of all the crazy things that can happen when doing logging type activities, if you are alone you have no way of getting help.

On the pants, I wear chaps because the pants get so rank after a while that you dont like to stop in a store on the way home or even sit in the truck, with the chaps you can quickly take them off and throw them in the back, your underneath pants are (well) better for the general public.

StorminN

Zackman,

Anyone that has hit their chaps or pants will tell you it's pretty easy to go through two layers of Kevlar without even knowing it... I did it one day with a winding-down saw (not really moving that fast) when I was really tired (don't accidents always seem to happen then?). Luckily my chaps have seven layers of Kevlar, so I wasn't hurt.

If I were you, I would keep shopping and find a pair of thicker pants... you'll probably have to increase your budget, but just think how much it would cost you to get stitched up / lose work time if you happened to nick yourself through thin pants...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

snowman

I had some of those baileys winter chap pants once, very nice until I stood to close to landing mans fire one day, boy do they melt fast!  :D I switched back to chaps though, they absorb the pitch, bar oil etc and keep your pants clean as a whistle, not to mention dry in wet conditions. In summer, forget it, your legs are going to cook and I dont wear chaps of anykind. I'm very experienced ya know and noooo way I will ever cut my leg! :D

tomtrees

Well you've gone and done it now snow man "never say never" even if you think it.
I managed to find some Stil chainsaw summer pants with less layers but the same chain stopping power they are a lot cooler.

I have never done it my self but have seen others spend hours pulling that stuf out of the chainsaw after a near one it gose every where. :'(

arojay

Yep, the Bailey's pants are too sweaty for warm weather so far as I am concerned.  I don't like the fit etc. of chaps either.  I have some old style Husqvarna pants with the same kevlar as wcb rating but they are obsolete because it doesn't reach around the back.  They are reasonably cool and that's what I wear when I log in summer, which isn't very often.  Cut pants or chaps are pretty much garbage in my experience.  A guy really should pack it in for the day when you are tired, but I too,have talked myself into keeping on and made mistakes.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Dale Hatfield

Make sure you keep the chaps/saw pant washed. All the oil they soak up Matts the fibers together  and keeps them from working as they should.......................
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

zackman1801

yeah we had a saw a little while back that someone cut the chaps with and they didnt even know. (because the chaps already had a hole in them but only the outer fabric was ripped none of the kevlar) the next few days his saw got slower and slower untill it finally stopped working. we took the thing completely apart and found out that the kevlar had actually melted inside of the clutch and bound it up. so now we have to get a new clutch for the saw. and if we can find the pair that was cut a new pair of chaps.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

snowman

Quote from: tomtrees on March 27, 2008, 01:59:47 PM
Well you've gone and done it now snow man "never say never" even if you think it.
I managed to find some Stil chainsaw summer pants with less layers but the same chain stopping power they are a lot cooler.

I have never done it my self but have seen others spend hours pulling that stuf out of the chainsaw after a near one it gose every where. :'(

Hey tomtrees. I never thought of loggers when I thought of france. Orvwa or however you say it. I think that means hello ???

timberfaller390

Zack I use chaps to me the are a lot more comfortable than pants. I had a coasting chain hit my chaps once if they hadn't been there it would have gotten the femoral artery would've bled out before i got out of the woods. When I was on a fire detail 2 seasons ago I had forgotton my fire pants, I was running the dozer so Ijust used a pair of over pants they are only 1 layer of cotton and I cooked for hours but after the fire jumped the line and we had to start rakeing I hit the ground fast. It gets hot here in the summer. I'd stick with chaps.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

probably have to. I dont see any places i can get pants for a decent price and most of the ones i find are winter pants or some are over $200. i know its worth the money to protect myself but i think that might be getting too excessive.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

tomtrees

Well Snowman, I'm realy a tree surgoen but the weather is warm and wet here (good for tree growth) so I do get a few forestry jobs. We have beach Ash Oak and lots of pine and fir, I have never seen hickory and a few other trees mentioned here on the forum.

timberfaller390

They sell chaps that wrap around your calf for 100 bucks or less  and they offer almost as much coverage as pants.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

In my opinion, after what happened to my friend- you can never have enough protection.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

roger 4400

Zackman.........believe me they worth EVERY penny......for winter good heavy kevlar pants (often we see less our legs in snow...if you have snow)and for warm weather lighter chaps that cover also the rear of your calf....a leg or any part of your body ...( no mather what it looks like  ......Hahaha) is priceless..... but we are all the same ,we wait till it happen....then it is to late..use other,s experience ,it is also priceless.....
     Today I can walk with some **ease.**...........from knee to the toes I,m blue,,,violet,,,,greenish-yellow......what a mix....but feel LUCKY ??? that my kevlar pants were THICK and covered all around my calf. MAKE YOURSELF A GIFT, Y O U    W O R T H    I T .................Have a nice day.                                Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

zackman1801

yeah i think if decided on getting some husky pants i found down at my local saw shop. for $50 bucks its worth it.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

roger 4400

GOOD   !!!!!!!! now your next step is ....W E A R     T H E M   ........ Have fun , I told you my story so you learn before getting hurt.......and because all members of the forum care for the other........ Now get some wood to cut  HAHAHA      Roger

Ed_K

The fully charged cell phone is a good idea,but I've found they don't work (no service) when you need them the most. Another good idea is to wear a whistle on you belt loop or spenders,and their cheap. I wear chaps in summer if it get so hot you can't stand them,its time to quit as you are probably close to dehydration. This winter I tried something new, got some carhart bib overhalls and installed snaps inside to snap my kevlar inserts into. Don't know if they protected me as I got lucky and didn't saw into them. The whistle works when moma is looking for you with coffee  8) .
Ed K

snowman

Whistles suck! :D I layed under a tree once for 3 hours with my lower left leg sticking out at a 90 degree angle blowing my whistle till I was blue in the face. My so called partner was cutting a spur road to a landing while I was falling main right of way. At the end of the day when he finally came looking for me I said, "didn't you hear my whistle????????" He said," I thought it was a bird". After that I started keeping one of those air hornes taped to my suspenders.Fortunately I never had to use it, YET! :D

Thank You Sponsors!