iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geomagnetic Reversal

Started by Ron Scott, March 25, 2008, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Geomagnetic Reversal Due – watch your compass!

There's still a thing or two we don't understand about planet Earth. One of them is what causes the periodic reversal of its magnetic poles. Scientists are pretty sure it has something to do with the molten iron core 1,800 miles below the surface. The geological record shows that these reversals have occurred at intervals ranging from 50,000 to tens of millions of years. It has been 800,000 years since the last one, so we can expect a reversal any time now. That would be a bad time to get caught in the woods.

Natural History
~Ron

Riles

I blame it on global warming. Or maybe it's the cause of global warming. At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the auroras in NC soon.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Sprucegum

Tha Aztecs and the ancient Chinese both have predicted this may happen Dec. 21, 2012  :o Get ready to hang on to something  ???

How? - the sun and the earth will both line up with the center of the galaxy. Don't ask me how they figured that out.

Modat22

There are a few scientists that have shown that it has been happening for a long time. There isn't any estimates on how long the process would take.
remember man that thy are dust.

Riles

Nova did an episode on this last year. The movement of the magnetic north pole is accelerating and the aurora borealis has already been seen at record southern latitudes.

This was another show I couldn't get my science-minded 9 year old to watch. (Seems every time he watched Nova, he found out we're all going to die. Asteroid collisions, global warming, supervolcanoes, megafloods, etc.) The problem with pole reversal is that it opens up the surface of the earth to cosmic radiation.

We're all going to die.

TexasTimbers

I love these kinds of posts!

Sprucegum are you sure it wasn't the Mayans? They were the ones absolutley fascinated with time remember.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Sprucegum

TT when the Mayans realized what was going to happen they all became Aztecs and fought long wars with flowers  ???  8)  ::)

TexasTimbers

Oh yeah I forgot about that.  Some of their descendents lived in the Asbury Park district in the late 60s and were responsible for the revival of some of those ancient ways, flowers and all. Except instead of making war they preached "Make love not war." ::)

The Incas were an interesting lot as well.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawdust

The Aurora was spectacular last week. It was in a complete circle with the hole at the top WAY south of us.
Aurora is an interaction involving the magnetic field, my question is does the top moving south have anything to do with the poles shifting?
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Riles

Yep. If you remember those school diagrams about magnetic fields and iron filings, the lines of force run from one pole to the other. The Auroras are formed by the interaction of the solar wind's charged particles and the magnetic fields, with the light "falling out" at the poles. When the magnetic poles move south, so do the lights.

sawdust

By my reckoning Santa just moved to somewhere near Great Falls Montana.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Greg Cook

Somebody should call "Spotted Al" Gore and see if he won't jump right in and fix this reversal thing?  He took care of those owls in the Northwest, and should have this global warming whipped here any day now.  He could use something to stay focused on.  Keeps him out of Tipper's hair too!
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

Left Coast Chris

Riles,  would'nt we all be o.k. if we put aluminum foil on our heads? ;D

You did mention it protects against lightning while on your tractor in an electrical storm.  The pole reversal should be no problem. ;)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Riles

No, the aluminum foil hats were to keep the CIA from reading my thoughts.  Oops, did I think that out loud?  :D

My concern is if the magnetic north pole is moving southwest, won't all the migratory birds with built in compasses end up in the pacific ocean?

grassy

They Say when it happens, to hang on!!!!. You will be pinned to the floor until its over, by the force of gravity!  That may take 3 days.  We have had the worst winter on record. I am looking forward to living in a warm climate. 2012? Bring it on! cindy

SwampDonkey

Well when I was in the BC woods on the Queen Charlottes, we had this big knobby hill in the middle of a harvest block, trees were still standing and only road we had was ribbon trail. We had to run deflection lines up and down slope across the block using compass. Every time you got near that cursed knob the needle on the compass tracked the knob as you walked. We had to give up with the compass and eyeball it by the knob for a few lines. We also had to cruise that block with tight chain and compass to each point while tying flagging tape. Those lines actually get checked for accuracy, but we had to protest it on any check cruising with DNR. It wasn't rocket science or anything, but a pain. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Just think,  Canada would be Up South and Florida would be Down North. ::)

I wonder what this will do for anything that migrates by magnetics?
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Quote from: farmerdoug on March 31, 2008, 11:59:05 PM

I wonder what this will do for anything that migrates by magnetics?

Shouldn't be a problem as they will already be at their destination before they leave.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DKinWA

I guess this means I better buy a new compass :D

Furby

Why not just do a swap with someone currently living in the Southern Hemisphere ???
;)

SwampDonkey

Come on now Furb, that's like getting a Floridian to live in the UP. ;D

I do know one who thought he was Floridian, but left too big a piece of himself back in Maine. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 02, 2008, 09:43:28 PM
Come on now Furb, that's like getting a Floridian to live in the UP. ;D

I do know one who thought he was Floridian, but left too big a piece of himself back in Maine. ;)
But that is a subject for another day. :D  The title will read, "Am I a Southerner or a Northerner." ;D

OneWithWood

Well just one more reason to be thankful I live where I live  :)

A reversal of the poles or even a 90° realignment should not effect me much.  For that matter the rising sea levels won't effect me much - other than having to fight off those coasters who manage to swim inland a ways  :D

Maybe all those leaners will straighten up  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Modat22

Well one thing you can say about pole reversal. Its not caused by global warming.
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

Quote from: Modat22 on April 03, 2008, 02:11:44 PM
Well one thing you can say about pole reversal. Its not caused by global warming.

The connection just hasn't been made yet.  Give them time and somebody will make it Global Warming's fault. :D

We might have to ask our cohorts in Australia and New Zealand, "If you go to the equator, are you travelling UP, or do you associate North and South with UP and Down.   

I was always taught to orient a map with North at the top.  I figure that is where traveling UP and Down came from.  Does anybody know? :P

Thank You Sponsors!