iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Irving launches constitutional challenge of migratory birds act

Started by SwampDonkey, March 25, 2008, 06:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

In the summer of 2006, J.D. Irving Ltd. built a new logging road on company-owned land that destroyed an area containing heron nests.

Estimates previously suggested between 12 and 20 nests in the area were destroyed when the wide track was put through the company property.

The company announced that it would be taking steps to avoid further damage, including not harvesting in the area for one year, establishing a 400-metre permanent buffer around the area and decommissioning the road.

The incident sparked a Canadian Wildlife Service investigation.

Court documents now filed by the company say the bird act should be declared unconstitutional. The documents allege the act is unnecessarily broad and lacking in precision.

The act was established in 1916 as part of a treaty between Canada, the United States and Mexico.

[source: CBC-News ]
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dancan

Woodhog

I would put my money on the Irvings winning.... something must have stirred them up on this one.

They have beat the government so many times on court cases... the one they didnt win KC just moved out to to Bermuda.

They are even threatening to move the   Saint John newsprint mill to Quebec if the power rate is not lowered.

I would not put it past them to move the mill... When I worked for them many years it was the "Irving Way" or the Highway!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!