iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Halupkies (cabbage rolls)

Started by ohsoloco, March 24, 2008, 09:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I grew up on halupkies (I don't really know how to spell it, but we pronounce it ha-loop-keys) from my dad's side of the family.  I finally decided to try my hand at making a batch, with really good results  :)

Chop a medium onion and sweat it in a large pan with a little bit of oil (I used maybe two tablespoons of olive oil).  Add a pound of ground beef, brown, and drain the fat.  Salt and pepper to taste, then add a cup of rice.  Pour in two cups of tomato juice.  I used a 28 oz. tin of whole peeled tomatoes.  I poured the juice in a measuring cup, and squeezed the tomatoes a little bit to get some more juice out of them.  Set tomatoes aside for later.  I had to top off the juice with water to get my two cups.  Simmer for about fifteen minutes. 

Meanwhile put on some water to boil.  Start taking the leaves off of a head of cabbage, keeping them intact.  The batch I made yielded about a dozen or so rolls, and I got all the leaves I needed off of a kinda small head of cabbage.  If there is a really thick stem any of the leaves, just cut them off in a little "V". 

When the filling is done, drop the leaves in the boiling (or very hot) water for a minute or so to soften them up so they don't break when you roll them.  Take a leaf out of the water, drop a spoonful of filling onto the middle of a leaf, and then roll it up starting at the stem end.  Tuck the sides in as you go, making something like a little cabbage burrito.  Place each completed halupki into a pot (this is if you are going to finish them on the stove...I put mine in the crockpot).  When all of your halupkies are in the pot, top with a sliced meduim onion, and the tomatoes that were set aside earlier.  I just squish the tomatoes up real good with my fist as I add them to the crock.  I also put some water and tomato paste in the crock to mostly cover the halupkies since they would burn to the sides otherwise.  Fresh coarse cracked black pepper is a nice touch too.

Simmer on the stove (or on low in the crockpot) for a few hours, or until you can't fight the urge to eat them any longer  :D

This is one of my favorite dishes.  Enjoy  :)  I'd share, but I ate them all  ;D

Dave Shepard

Those sound really good. They're called galumpkys (sp  :D ) around here. A friend of the families used to bring us all kinds of different foods, and they were one of the things he would make. He is German and his wife Polish, so lot's of good food. food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

We call them "Pig in a Blanket" ;D

WDH

Wow, I would like to try those.  Maybe tonight ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

ohsoloco
Those sure sound great....just might try rounding some up... :) :)

Just googled and found

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726,155185-241196,00.html

for halupki (cabbage roll)

I had a Russian friend (escaped Russia after Revolutionary War and fled to Poland, and then before WWII broke out, was chased out and imprisoned in Germany. Made it to the US after WWII.)  Great man, and I first had these cabbage rolls at their home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

You won't regret it, beenthere.  I always do a little halupkie dance when I smell them  :D

When I was in Russia they called them galuptsi  :P

Fla._Deadheader

"Stuffed Cabbage". Throw some baby Carrots and cubes of taters in the pot, being sure to barely cover everything. Now THAT'S good eatin.  8) 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Yeah, Stuffed Cabbage!  I know what that is.  ;D   I can pronounce it too. :D

ohsoloco

How do you stuff a cabbage....take out the core first I guess  ???  :D

Tom

Just like they wrapped those leaves.   If you stuff (wrap) grape leaves, you get a lot of money for them in a snooty restaurant. :D

Dave Shepard

This sounds a lot like the stuffing for stuffed peppers. Note to self: grow lots of peppers! food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

asy

Quote from: ohsoloco on March 24, 2008, 09:58:16 PM
When I was in Russia they called them galuptsi  :P

Yup, that's what they're called in Russia. Pronounced Haloobtsi. In Polish they're Gowompki or Golubki.

I have a funny feeling there's a thread on here somewhere talking about them....  From a year or two ago (maybe longer).

With the Cabbage, what we do is cut the core out, and put the whole thing in a BIG pot of hot water, and boil the WHOLE cabbage. That makes the leaves REALLY Tender.

Your meat to rice ratio should be about 1:1 (cooked rice). Also, the tomato doesn't go inside them, they're baked in a tomato sauce (like a bolognese sauce without the mince).

Hope this helps. I can get full proper recipe tomorrow, if you need it, I'll ring mum.  ;)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Corley5

I like em too but I can't bring myself to eat cabbage in any form  :(  The filling's where it's at  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

That's how I used to eat em (and stuffed peppers too), just eat the middle and leave the rest  :D  Now I love cabbage.  In fact, I was just saying the other night how my tastes have changed since I was younger, and I really like "earthy" tastes that come from veggies, like beets. 

Shredded cabbage makes an excellent addition to a sandwich rather than lettuce  :)

Coon

I love halobtsi too, but the wife refuses to make them for me. ;)  She claims the after effects keep her up all night.   :D  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

submarinesailor

Quote from: Coon on June 08, 2008, 12:11:58 AM
I love halobtsi too, but the wife refuses to make them for me. ;)  She claims the after effects keep her up all night.   :D  :D 

Coon - the wife hands me a "BeanO" before we starting just for that reason.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Some of the folks here fry cabbage. I think they boil it first in the fry pan to soften it and later fry it as the water boils off. I would think a little onion would be in order and a dob of oil, maybe even a red bell pepper diced in there to. Cabbage alone, blah.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

olyman

boiled, fryed, or cabbage cooked  in milk--bring it on----yum---and no stuffing needed---

olyman

Quote from: olyman on November 18, 2008, 08:12:46 PM
boiled, fryed, or cabbage cooked  in milk--bring it on----yum---and no stuffing needed---  and yes--i like sauerkraut also-----must be the german in me-- ;D ;D

ohsoloco

Just made another batch the other week.  Got some real nice heads of cabbage out of the garden this year.  Dad was pretty consistent with malathion applications, and I left the hose and sprinkler hooked up all the time so he could water them often  ;)

Got a little over two dozen cabbage rolls before the leaves were too hard to take off the head.  Put half of them in the slow cooker, and put the rest in a foodsaver bag, froze stiff, then vacuum sealed.  We'll see how they cook up sometime  :)

Still had a nice little head of cabbage left, so I made haluski-capusta (haluski are noodles, capusta is cabbage) out of it.  The first time I made it, I sweated some diced onion in 6 tablespoons of butter, added sliced parboiled cabbage, and sauted until soft.  Add some cooked noodles and cook just a hair longer. 

This time I didn't bother to parboil the cabbage, it's just a hassle  ;)  Sliced the cabbage and cooked it in some butter with a heavy pinch of salt.  I forgot about the onion  ::) so I didn't bother with it.  While the cabbage was cooking down I cooked the noodles and set them aside to drain.  When the cabbage was soft I added the noodles and cooked for a little while longer.  I actually liked it better without the onion, which is weird since I love onion. 

Haven't made my own noodles yet, but plan to in the future.  I've been using noodles from the grocery store called "kluski."  They remind me of homemade...I like to use them in chicken soup too.

RynSmith

Ohsoloco, do you use pre-cooked rice  ???

SwampDonkey

Well, I'm not making cabbage roles, but in the process of frying up some cabbage and onion for suppa.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Quote from: RynSmith on November 19, 2008, 01:47:25 PM
Ohsoloco, do you use pre-cooked rice  ???

No, I just use plain 'ol (store brand  ;D ) uncooked rice.  After sweating the onion, then adding the beef and browning that, I drain the fat, add the rice and a combination of tomato juice (from the canned tomatoes) and water to make 2 cups of liquid for every cup of uncooked rice.  I typically pull it from the stove before all of the liquid is absorbed (so the rice is a little "al dente") since I'll simmer them in the crock pot for a few hours  :)

RynSmith

I'm going to try it tonight - wish me luck  ;D

ohsoloco

Good luck, and happy eating  8)

ohsoloco

RynSmith...how was suppah  ???  :)

RynSmith

Well, after a late afternoon trip to the transfer station and a subsequent jeans-soaking dog walk in the pitch black I decided that Halupkies sounded like a great weekend meal  ::)

I'm thinking the kitchen will be smelling pretty good tomorrow afternoon  :)

Tam-i-am

Call them what you want my mother who is russian calls them one thing and my polish dad calls them something else.  The truth is there is nothing better.

For the meat part  I use have ground beef and half ground pork and mix that with the rice.

Yum Yum Yum!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Norm

This recipe reminded me of something my late Mom would make, they were similar but not wrapped in cabbage. Half ground pork and half ground beef with cooked rice made into meatballs.

She called them tongue in cheek... porcupine balls.  :D

SwampDonkey

Norm, I thought that was what you got when you mixed sawdust, fryer grease, and molasses to feed the bears. :D  ;)

WDH

Norm,

We do porcupine balls, too ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Wow, collecting enough of those for a mess aughta be some fun... ::) :o :o :o

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I will contract that out to SwampDonkey :D

SwampDonkey

Seen lots of bear sign today to in the beech, it was a good beech nut year. All kinds of limbs broken in the tops where the bears where reaching the nuts. The only branches left with dead leaves on them. Never seen no tracks so maybe they are denning. I was working in bear den country on hardwood ridge, but never saw any dens. I'm sure one is up there someplace. I did see some deer tracks though, the first I seen all fall. They were traveling along the streams down below the hardwood, in the softwood stand.

Well that's your update for today. :D

Oh, sorry about messing with the cabbage rolls. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!