iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Softwood blades

Started by Lance in Ontario, March 24, 2008, 05:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance in Ontario

I have about 15000 bdft of white pine to saw this spring,right now all the logs are frozen and by the time I am finished they will have thawed out.I have 9&10 degree woodmizer blades because I normaly saw hardwood.Should I get softwood blades (13 degree)for this amount of logs?Would I notice a big difference or would it be a waste of money? I run a Lt40hd25
Lance

MartyParsons

I am not sure you have enough hp to run 13's. Unless you have 25 hp Electric. Your 9 and10 degree will work fine. If your pine is clear no knots then you may want to try the 13. How wide of cuts are you making?
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

beav39

those blades will do fine in pine!no sense in buying new if you have enough to do the job          scot
sawdust in the blood

jackpine

I saw a lot of white pine and all I have ever used are 9° & 10° blades. In the frozen pine the 9° seems to work a little better  but both will do the job very well. I do have to admit I've never tried the 13°, primarily because I don't need another profile to keep track of. ;D

Bill

woodmills1

make sure to give them more set than you do for hardwood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

the plain old 10 degree blade will do just fine.  I created 13 degree blades for myself and ran them on a 24 horse LT40 for years, cutting SYP and Cypress.  You will notice a difference and 24 horse is enough to show it, but it really makes a difference when you get up in the 40 horse class.

This is one of the things that makes sharpening one's own blades nice.  You can make one and try it.  :)

Tom Sawyer

I'm with Tom (wait, I am Tom ???).  Take one of your 10 degree blades and regrind the angle.  I made a bunch of mine into 12.5 degrees (the template for that angle comes with the sharpener) to cut a bunch of spruce.  There was definitely a difference in how fast I could cut, but then again I have the 51hp Cat diesel on my mill.  I say try it with one blade and see how it works.

Tom

pineywoods

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 24, 2008, 03:01:08 PM
I'm with Tom (wait, I am Tom ???).  Take one of your 10 degree blades and regrind the angle.  I made a bunch of mine into 12.5 degrees (the template for that angle comes with the sharpener) to cut a bunch of spruce.  There was definitely a difference in how fast I could cut, but then again I have the 51hp Cat diesel on my mill.  I say try it with one blade and see how it works.

Tom

I agree with Tom (er Tom also). I'm as much a tinkerer as a sawyer. I set up my WM sharpener to do some 15 deg blades. Too much for the 18 hp briggs on my LT40, but then I installed a 25 hp kawasaki. Now they cut just fine on everything except dry hardwood. Only downside I see is I can push the 15 deg blade hard enough to cause sawdust to fill the gullet and spill over the back of the blade. Leaves a lot of sawdust in the kerf and tends to gum up the blade worse than normal. I cut mostly southern yellow pine and I do use a bunch of set.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

Lance if you get me your customer # I will get you a 13 to try. I have not run many 13 my self looks like Tom x 2 have used them. If you grind a 10 degree to 13 it may work. The 13 has a fish hook gullet compared to the other profiles. This helps to carry away the dust chip.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Lance in Ontario

Thanks for the help guys I will try my bands that I have.I brought home 2 loads yesterday,they are alot bigger looking when they are beside my mill.I only scaled 5 16'logs and I had over 1600bdft.
Lance

Thank You Sponsors!