iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

did enybody go to bangor

Started by duke401, May 21, 2003, 07:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke401

i would like to know if enybody seen the DL  TS  30  run?
  duke

Fla._Deadheader

Well, SUMBUDY musta went !!!  Where's all the Maininites ??  :o ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

bull

I went to Bangor... good show.....

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Vermonter

Quite a show.  The shootout was designed not for speed, but as you can guess, everyone always wants to know who finished first.  I haven't seen any official reports yet, but it looked like the swingers were at the top.  Lucas brought in a ringer from NZ, he is a professional lumberjack, he holds the 20" pine Hotsaw record, and he's been on ESPN.  He did a great job under the stress.  They were out for a good finish.
Baker had a mill in both days, I wasn't really paying attention to the Woodmizer guys... :D
The Granberg folks had chain saw troubles, nice little mill though.  
Huge show, I didn't even make  it all the way around, but  I was also hanging out at the Peterson Booth with Carl and Chris Browne.
New homestead

Bibbyman

I seen some numbers but I don't know what it all means as I don't recognize all the mills and what class they ran.  Looks to me like there will be a lot of bragging going on by everyone.

The Wood-Mizer LT40HD completed in 38 minutes and 47 seconds with no time outs.  Their log scale was 545 and their lumber tally was 576 for a recovery of 1.06.  Their bf/hr was 891.  

The DL TS 30 had a time of 70 minutes and 13 seconds and on time outs.  Their log scale was 545 and their lumber scale was 446 for a recovery of .82.   Their bf/hr was 381.  They had 85 miscuts that probably accounts for their low recovery.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

duke401

i guess i might have bough the wrong saw, it should be here on monday,
what do you mean by a miscut?
duke

Bibbyman

The contestants saw away and when they are done,  the lumber is measured by some umpire to see if it falls within spec. Anything not within spec is called a miscut and not counted - thus reducing the recovery.  

It will could be the miscuts were not the fault of the machine.  

Haste makes waste. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

duke401

are they cutting 1x8 or just board feet out of the log eny size.that would make a lot of diffrence the way the DL is set up to cut boards.
like lucas i bet wood miser had some one that knew what they were doing i know i couldnt saw that many board feet in 38 min. that is out standing i hope i can saw that much a day.

duke

Frank_Pender

I heard  today that Mobile Dimension had drawn some logs that had quite a bit of sweep to them.  The contest logs were 8 and 12 feet in length. The did not count of the their 1" materials if I am not mistaken. Like 1 x 2s.  We sometimes cut them to get into the log further to not waste good wood.  I use them for stickers, often times.
Frank Pender

see_saw

I was there, sawing for MD.I wish i had some pics from a didgital camera, two of the logs had pretty good sweep inem.Im not complaning,gust wishing i would got a little more. Waa.  44 min 43 Sec. scale 429 lumber scale 360 24bf miscuts. 483bf/hr.

bull

Time for a day long shootout, to show what can be done in a day in real time, and what really happens in one full day of sawing..... Time for sawmill and woodlot to get into the reality shows or the Mill guys to realize the fear factor !!!!  Racing with sawmills is not a true test of the real machines. Quality and real production rates are the true test......

Vermonter

Bull, I think you're right, but the speed seems to be what most people are interested in.
I just got back some more info, Lucas sawmills ran an 8" 27hp, and sawed 922 board feet per hour with a 106% overrun, and Peterson's 10" 24hp sawed 905 bd ft per hour with a  95% recovery factor.  Lucas had a slightly larger log draw and more hp.  Chris had 11bd feet of miscuts, which would have helped.   He was a bit disappointed, but it's tough to do that two years in  a row, not to mention the sheer size of his competitor.  I guess if they were just in search of speed, they should have run the 27hp 8", but the 10" sure is a nice mill.  
Peterson's were also passing out flyers on their new automated mill, I noticed today they have video on their website.  They're producing them for NZ customers, they're talking about bringing one to the US later this year.

New homestead

ARKANSAWYER

Bull is right!  What we need is a huge pile of logs and a 8 hour time limit to saw all you can and give them a house pattern to cut out.  It needs to be set up in a cow pasture on the side of a hill in mid July down South somewhere on a sunnyday.  Need a good wind and some very dry logs.  Needs to be a few nails spiked into some logs and a few hickory as well. ;D
   Why do they always do this stuff way up North any way?  I bet it was a good show and I would like to have been able to get a travel visa so I could have gone.

ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

I wonder how the swingers would do, if they had to saw all day?  They are using professional athletes, not your average guy trying to make a living. I can pull the handle on my MD all day long. How long can they push?
Another good contest would be one-man sawing. That'd probably seperate the sheep from the goats, too. ;D

I got a pile of logs at my place, Arkey, and I'm definitely in the South. Pick a weekend and bring it on.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

Hey, sign me up for the all day, wind in your face, nails in the pile reality show.  I don't even want a senior division. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Vermonter

I can assure you that Chris Browne from Peterson is not a professional athlete.  He is the production super. there, not a lumberjack.
New homestead

DanG

Sorry Woodsy.  Senior is the only division we got. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmill_john

Any time you try to set up competion there are factors that benifit some one else more than others.  There is enough differences in the way that all of the portable mills work that trying to make it fair for every one is almost impossible.  Then you throw in logs into the equation, I would hope that the quaility of logs wouldn't have been such a factor, but it does seem like there were several bad lots of logs, I didn't see them first hand but from what Steve and Don said they were pretty bad.

Have you guys seen the new sawmill & woodlot Mag. check out page 5.

john

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot fire, Arky. When wuz you at my sawin site?? That's eggzackly what the scenario is :o ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ElectricAl

WoodMills1,

Great Idea.

We need a "Real Sawyers' " division.

20 years ago when I was drag racing, there was a class called, "Run what ya brung"

Bet we could get Arkansawyer and Wanda entered in the
Big Gas class.

Give them boys a stack of logs and 8 hours.

A cut list for the Pine, and 4/4 NHLA grade hardwoods.
Anyone can make a square then saw down through the heart.
The real test is to saw 1 1/8" ,then edge and endtrim correctly. :o

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

KiwiJake

Just some thing little to think about regarding the question about the swingers motoring as per the shoot out all day. I don't know about sprinting up and down the log all day but you would easily be able to produce a good productive amount of board foot.

One thing I know is if you take all the advantages of the Peterson WPF and automate it you would have a kick as production mill able to sprint up and down those logs all day with hardly any limitations eg 10x20" boards, infinate length logs capabillity, huge log size limitation, blade flip at the flick of a switch, electronic set works, board return to the operator end OR tayler end while it's cutting the next board in the same run, the whole mill will sit on your ute and be set up in 15-30mins almost any where.   8) I'm all for seeing this mill at the next shootout pullin off an 8hr stint!

Jeff

QuoteBig Gas class.

Hee hee! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Vermonter and Kiwi, I don't mean to be disparaging of the swing mills. They have a definite place in the market. But, I don't think a 2 man team can keep up the pace for a full day of sawing. Take away one of the team members and what happens to your production?  A LT-15 can keep up with a LT-40 for a few minutes, or until you have to turn the log, but automation is going to win in the long haul.
Put power drive and dragback on a swinger, and what do you have? MD.  The principle is the same, and either could modify to match the other's strong points, while giving up some of it's own strengths. I'm glad there are differences. It gives me more options, in the future. I may buy a swinger, or a bandmill, or both, someday, just to do things I can't do now. I wouldn't buy an automated swinger, because it would have the same limitations I have now. It would give up the ability to climb on top of a huge log, deep in the woods, and that is its strongest point. The bandmill would be for cutting wide stuff, and other specialty cuts. Mine would be homebuilt, on a mobile home frame, at least 60' long. Just think, I could corner my county's entire market for 60' tomato stakes! 8)

KiwiJake

Do you feel that a swingers main feature is it's abillity to be carried into the bush and tackle big logs? Is that all? What about blade life, wide boards, production, simplicity, recovery, flexibillity etc. etc. based on previous posts all over the internet forums, not trying to start an arguement, maybe this will start a good debate.  :P  

This years shoot out results will be awesome, TWIN BLADES, BAND MILLS (did some of them have edgers?), CHAINSAW MILLS AND SWINGERS all competing, a great variety.

Thank You Sponsors!