iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader won't start-need help

Started by oakiemac, March 23, 2008, 04:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

have a Bobcat 873 skidsteer, 1997 with about 2500 hours on it. It has a 73hp duetz oil cooled diesel engine. I have had a small steel hyd. line with a leak for months now which has gotten worse so I was going to take it in to the shop this week but we had a foot of snow fall on friday so I was using the bobcat to clean up snow when it ran out of fuel. This happens from time to time because my fuel gauge does not work. I put some more fuel in the machine and vented the air through the fuel filter. I have done this numerous times in the past with no problems.
Well I start the bobcat up and it runs fine-for about 15minutes. Then it dies, I restart it and it immedieately dies again and then it will not restart. Engine cranks over just fine and we pulled the oulet fuel line the fuel pump and fuel is coming out. It doesn't seem to have a lot of pressure but it does spurge out. We then cracked a fitting at bottom of the fuel inj. rack and have fuel there as well. But if you crack a fitting up by injectors then there seem to be no fuel. The timing belt seems intact although it is hard to see.

Anyone know if these machines can be towed somehow? Any ideas on what to check next or how to fix would be appreciated.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawguy21

Have you changed the filter recently? There also may be an air leak between the tank and the pump
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Is that a mechanical injector pump, or are the injectors fed from a common rail?  The way I was taught to bleed them is to loosen the line at one or two injectors and keep cranking over until she fires off, then tighten them with it running.  Sometimes it takes a while.  The cold may not be in your favor there, either.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beav39

sawdust in the blood

jamesamd

Maybe a fuel solenoid between supply line and injector distributer.

Sorry,I have not seen that engine before.
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Dale Hatfield

Im with James  sounds like fuel solenoid. We have a bobcat track hoe that has bad  solenoid.
Its a mechanical linkage attached to a electric magnet. Power  comes from  starter to solenoid if the solenoid doesn't lift then it will crank but wont fire. as its not allowing fuel  to get past that point. It should be close to the Injector pump. Small  cylinder  with wire attached with linkage at the bottom.
Turn the key on, push linkage up into cylinder and it should fire ,if thats the trouble. Sometimes my old dodge  solenoid will hang and i have to do like wise with it.
Dale
As for towing IM sure their will be a release  of some sorts to allow wheels to turn without pump pressure. I dont know where or how its done  but most hydraulic  equipment has some sort of relief  to allow towing. Call bobcat tell em problem  ask what needs to be done to drag the machine  inside to repair. 
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

redprospector

I'm no mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt.
I have an 98 model 863 with the same engine. If you're getting fuel from the pump, and at the rack, but not at the injector's it sounds like there's air in the system. That being said, I don't know how it would have ran for 15 minute's with air in the system.
I'd try changing out the fuel filter, and if that doesn't work check the screen in the tank. It's hard to get too, but when it's plugged the machine won't run.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

oakiemac

Thanks for the replies. I agree with the solenoid diagnosis. I talked with the deal today and they said same thing. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get that to work. I didn't see any mechanical linkage on the solenoid itself but I'll look closer in the morning.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

jesse

might also check to see if there is power going to soleniod with key on

oakiemac

Well I went out to the mud pit where the bobcat is stuck and tapped the solenoid with a hammer and had wife crank engine. She fired right up-bobcat that is. ;D  I then made a bee-line into shop where I could work on her (bobcat that is) in the warmth. I took the solenoid apart and found it looking good so I connected it up and turned the key and it activated like it should but I found that by wiggling the connector it would cut in and out. So I took the connector apart and found the contacts corroded and oily. I'll replace the connector tomorrow but I'm failry certain that this was the problem.
Thanks for the help.

Dave Shepard

Don't you like a cheap fix? 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bottlefed89

Sorry to dig up an OLD post here guys, but I'm having the same problem here.  anyone care to tell me where this fuel solenoid is located??  Looks to me as though its all mechanical. . .

ely

my 773 had a fuel line pick up tube in the tank that broke off. a very common problem from what i hear.
it would run out of fuel when it had a half tank of diesel if you filled it up it ran great.
i just pulled the line out of the tank, it goes in through a rubber grommet. you could see it was terribly short i added a piece of hose to it and bam it was fixed.

bottlefed89

yeah, that fuel suction tube is a VERY common problem. . . . .

Woodchuck53

Morning guys, not sure if it is relevant but all my diesel equipment is at least as old or older than I am. Went the fuel filter direction a couple times. As it often does unit would stop when I needed it to work. Made a commitment to pull all fuel tanks and boy were they fouled up. While the tank was off the knuckle boom I washed it out and welded a pickup tube to the side a couple inches off bottom. Haven't done it to the big tractor yet but this spring will removed the brush guard and remove the tank. Most of my gear sits 14/14 so has time to settle trash out. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Most problems with machinery are simple,they want air ,fuel ,compression,at the right time,check the basics.Most folks start at the most expensive unit and work twords the cheapest.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

oakiemac

bottlefed89,

Do you have a Bobcat machine? If so the fuel cutoff solenoid-at least on my 873- is mounted directly on the engine block and kind of over by the altenator. Just open the back door and you will see it on the  upper right side. The solenoid operates a mechanical lever that lets fuel into the injectors. At first I thought he solenoid unit was bad and I called for a replacement part and what they quoted me was very expensive. I can't remember the price but it was off the charts. Turned out the only problem I had was a corroded connector so I'd check that first.

Thank You Sponsors!