iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Katrina cottage plans

Started by ljmathias, March 23, 2008, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

For a couple of reasons, I'm very interested in building some Katrina cottages or similar designs.  I was intrigued by the plans that came out some time after Katrina- the idea being that low cost homes could be used temporarily or as starter modules for bigger homes to jump start the rebuilding effort on the MS-LA-TX Gulf Coast areas hit by recent hurricanes.  Lowes actually had a contest (I believe) and came up with a set of plans (search the lowes.com site for "Katrina Cottages" to find them) but they all sell for $700 a set.  This seems outrageously high for plans for houses in the sub-1000 sq ft category, with some at less than 400 sq ft.  In fact, I would guess most people in need of the plans can't afford to buy them.

So, here's my question: anyone have or seen plans that could be used to build such structures (small houses for low income and/or emergence use) that are either free or at a low price?  I certainly don't begrudge an architect or plan company their livelihood but it seems that such should be reasonably priced so the target audience can actually afford to buy and use them.  Anyone have any ideas?

My goal is this: to cut the wood to build the smaller size versions that could be on skids for example, or in kit form, to sell to those people who have the land but who's only option right now is a mobile home.  Start with the small version and live it in while accumulating the capital or materials to expand into the size needed.  Seems like this was the way it was done years ago (anyone else remember the Sears catalog homes that could be purchased mail-order?).  Thanks all, and have a great and meaningful Easter.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Don P

I looked at their Katrina cottage plans and thought they were nuts myself.

I think we're talking kit form or prefab panels rather than a prebuilt modular for most sizes. Unless you are required to have engineering for everything there's nothing wrong with kicking a design around ourselves if you want.

sawdust

I have a real pretty book called Small Log Homes by Robbin Obomsawin. She has a series of plans in the back ranging in size from 625 up to 12oo plus.
Though the pictures all of log buildings they could be constructed any way you want.\

isbn 1-58685-043-1 there is phone nunber to order the book as well 1 800 748 5439

Nice pictures!
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Radar67

LJ, I built my 16 x 24 barn shed/cabin from all store bought material (I needed it now, couldn't cut it myself) for $3200. That is just the framing and exterior sheeting and the roof. I think it could easily be converted into a nice one bedroom, living area, 1 bath, and kitchenette type dwelling. And for not that much more money. Without doing all the calculations, I would figure for under $10,000 a family could build their own. Add in labor for someone else to build it and you'll be looking at $30,000.

I'd be happy to work with you and Don on a plan.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

I can't help with designing, but this sounds like a really great idea! Are most of the people that would build one of these small houses going to be rebuilding on their own lots, where their old houses were? Already owning the land will be a big plus. What are the native lumber law down there? Can you use lumber right off the mill, or would you have to get it stamped? I am sure establishing reliable housing will help people recover from this. It must be tough to try and rebuild not knowing where or for how long you will be living somewhere.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Using a small "house" as a module got me curious. I tried to see how small I could get what I consider the essentials for one or 2 into, this footprint is 16x20'. Later it could be remodeled to make a master wing. It would be an easy floor system, although 2x12's, could be on 6 piers. Foundation codes down there are another thing that should be thought about early. No interior walls should be load bearing would be one rule I think, just to make it where it can be stripped back to 4 walls easily.

Clockwise from the kitchen is a 8x10 bedroom, then a 5x7 bath... that's about minimum for a tub, lav and john. The closet is washer/dryer sized and the round thing is a 4' dia table in a roughly 8x8 area. I think all doors would need to be pockets or sliders. At 320 sf I wouldn't want to be stuck in there too long.

As they get bigger you might be able to make a core module that remains unremodeled that rooms attach to  ???

ljmathias

Don P: neat approach.  Hadn't really gone that far in my own thinking on this project but had earlier when my sons and I were brainstorming small cabins on skids.  Having an interior that is easily redone or re-allocated makes sense- as you add modules, you might want to enlarge some previous components or change their function to fit in better with the now-bigger house.  We envisioned some kind of hook-and-rail system that would look alright and allow items such as tables, benches, beds and cabinets to be moved around as needed.  Put the whole module on a pair of treated 6X6s or 8X8s with a couple of lift points or bolted on metal eyes and you can hook and move it around as needed for temporary use.  When ready to put on a raised foundation, simply use embedded metal straps (maybe or something else?) to tie it down.

Our idea was to use the module approach inside each unit as well as in coupling them together.  This might give some individualization or customization to the whole thing and allow for growth as a family expands or resources become available.

I'd like to pursue this some, at least on the forum, and see where it goes.  Thanks, all.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

karl

this is a subject that has been of interest to me for long before katrina.
We have had the opportunity to build several tiny homes over the years. The smallest having a 14x20 footprint with 4x14 of that a porch. The bath is 6x6 and includes shower, toilet and a storage area with water pump and hw heater. Partitions are 3/4 thick tongue and groove boards set into rabbeted 2x3s, doors are the same material hung from the same shoe and plate stock. The rest of the space is one room with a vaulted drywall ceiling.
There is room for a 20" range and undercounter ref beside the single bowl sink.
The whole thing is on 3 8x8x20 skids on a "foundation" of RR ties with a poly vapor barrier.
The framing is standard practice stick frame with osb sheathing and vertical shiplap siding/asphalt shingle roofing. Insulation is a combination of fiberglass and foam board.

We live in paradise compared to some areas and do not need to bow to the lumber stamp Gods or deal with tornados and hurricanes or severe earth quakes (yet).

Excluding power and septic, heater and by recycling pump, hw heater, sink range, ref. we built this one for $5000. including (reduced) labor for a friend in need.

If you want REALLY tiny houses for huge prices (or some good ideas) Google tiny houses- there is a company building 70' and up  houses on flatbed trailers for more than the cost of a motor home, but they are interesting.

Park homes are another source of ideas for layout- they are usually 10'x36' if memory serves me correctly and have seperate bedrooms and even a loft area.

There is also a manufacturer of Shelter Kit in New England that has used the simple module aproach to building for years- they are a post and beam unit and based on a 10 or 12' square I think- haven't seen their stuff for years....kinda forget.

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Larry

The Amish in Atchison Kansas are building storage sheds?  There well made but as cheap as possible.  Most are 12' wide and about any length.  People are buying them for use as vacation homes, hunting cabins, or a workshop out back.  Since it is a storage shed not much problem with codes.  Funny how many have electrical, water, and a bathroom now.  There even selling them on a rent to own basis.  The price can't be beat...I tried.

Back to Don's idea...how about  designing the 16' X 20' to be part of a larger house?  The kitchen and bathroom would be permanent so utilities would not need to be re-located when the house is expanded.  Maybe a T or L shape as the final residence?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

alpmeadow

Golden Greetings
A too small timberframe shed design below has been built many ways, for many uses.  See a design discussion, including a blog link for a backcountry shelter in Idaho/Montana.
goto https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30121.0.html
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

StorminN

Hi guys,

Check out the Tumbleweed houses... not cheap, but good for ideas.

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

There are also some books, like Cabins by the Stiles.

-N.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Dave Shepard

There is another Jack Sobon building that might work as a basis for this shelter. In the workshop I took, we built a Dutch 14x16 "house" frame. This had four foot knee walls upstairs, which gave almost twice the space for almost negligable added material. I think we should look into trying to use some of the upstairs space, possibly for an added bedroom. ljmathias, are you thinking standard stick framing? Would save time.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ARKANSAWYER

Over the years I have had low income customers build homes by 12x12 foot sections.  The home would end up as a 24x48 house when done.  They would build a 12x12 room and side two outside walls and make panels that would cover the other two sides.  These were moved each time they expanded the house. 
  Here we build 24x24 cabins shells for about $15 sqft on slabs.  Finished them for around $50 a sqft.  Average home is $110 sqft right now.
ARKANSAWYER

timcosby

it could also be a guest cottage after they got to build a big house if situated right. a note on storage sheds... i spent the night in a storage shed last summer while on vacation out west. it was on the north side of lake powell. the guy had bought 20 of the gambrel roofed 16x20 storage sheds and put them together side by side where they touched. once you got inside it looked like any other motel room!

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, a FF user wanted to see some designs of a base house that could then be added onto to make it larger depending on the needs of the customer.
He wanted a base unit that was 16' x24'.
Then he wanted to add one wing on the side to make it 12' wider.
Then another wing on the other side again 12' wider.
Also, adding another wing on the back side full width and 12' deeper.
And finally adding a front porch full width and 12' deep.

I created these plans and showed them to him.

This type of thing could be something that could be used as a base small house plan.

I have just now added pictures of these plans to an album I created in My Gallery.
And in this gallery is also a floor view without the roof, so you can see what inside the house.

These were planned to be timber framed but could be just stick built.

The base unit has the kitchen and bathroom in it, with a loft over the back half for a sleeping area.

Each wing could be a bedroom.

One on the right was furnished as a family room.

The one on the left was furnished as a bedroom.

A wood stove was added also.

You can view these house plan pictures at:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1781

If you like to see the insides up close, just let me know and I can upload some more pictures.

I have floor plans for all of these versions, but I haven't figured costs at all.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

StorminN

Hi Jim,

Your plans are very interesting to me... as I'm currently in the process of building a 16'x24' building (stickbuilt). Mine has 12' high side walls, an 8' ceiling, and a 10/12 pitch roof, so it sort of has a useable upstairs. At this point, it's got walls and a roof, a set of stairs, but no windows or doors... not yet dried in.

I've already thought of adding 14' wide or 12' wide wings to either side, as you show in your pictures. I'd be interested to see the pictures of the insides up close.

Thanks,
-Norm.

Jim_Rogers

Norm:
Do you have a high speed Internet connection? If so we could do a computer meeting and connect computers and I can show you everything while we talk over the phone.
Is this something you'd like to do?

Jim Rogers

StorminN

Jim,

I do have high-speed internet, but I use Macs... so if you're running Windows, I'm not sure if the connecting computer thing will work. I'm on iChat (AIM instant messaging) and Skype if you happen to have an account at either of those, too.

-Norm.

scrout

LJ,

If you have an IKEA store close to you they have on display several fully furnished floor plans for very small spaces.    Looks mainly for apartment living, but they start down at about 325 sq ft to 500 or so.
Gives you a great idea on how liveable the small space could be.
With a sleeping loft added you could be pretty comfortable.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: StorminN on March 27, 2008, 11:06:03 AM
Jim,

I do have high-speed internet, but I use Macs... so if you're running Windows, I'm not sure if the connecting computer thing will work. I'm on iChat (AIM instant messaging) and Skype if you happen to have an account at either of those, too.

-Norm.

I have skype, send me your contact info use my regular email address to find me. I'll research a gotomeeting connection to a mac....

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Norm:
It appears as if gotomeeting works connecting to a mac same as ibm computers.
If you'd like to try it, I can send you a meeting invitation via skype once we chat and do an online meeting where I can show you the inside of the building.

gotomeeting is a great program and we can also talk over that connection as well, as gotomeeting now has VoIP (voice over Internet provider) in the newest version. We just use the regular headsets we use during skype communications.

What time zone are you in?
Never mind, I see you're in Pacific time zone, so we're three hours different.....

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Jim, that sounds like a neat program. I'd like to try that, but I'm in the 1920's time zone here, just got rid of the hand crank phones a little while ago. :D

I'm glad to see the interest in this subject, I think something very good will come of it.

Dave

Don P

I've been doodling. Someone was talking about a 20x20 camp and I had sketched one with a 12/12 pitch. I then started putting walls out 8' and wrapped a hip roof around it. It kicked the original 400 sf up to 1296 if all of that was interior rooms. It would probably work better if it had 10' walls in the core building, especially if a loft was up there.

If the original cottage is to be a possible core it means the walls will at some point be interior walls, or some of them will. A T-111 or plywood and batten or board and batten exterior might make that easier than something like clapboard.

Dave Shepard

Bump.

A coworker of mine remarked on the Lowes cottage. Something like $30,000. I'm guessing that is just materials? :o

Dave

Trax

I'm in the middle of building a "12x24 storage shed" right now, next to where we are planning to build our retirement home at the lake.

6x6 bath

5x6 kitchen

loft above kit.& bath (temp walk/scafold between lofts)

loft above porch

home site

log dog

Thank You Sponsors!