iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Left Hand Detroit

Started by bandmiller2, March 22, 2008, 07:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Planning to run a lane mill with a 671 detroit diesel.I want the engine on the back side of the mill as I'am usally a lone ranger.That would require changing the rotation from RH toLH that would require changing rear cam drive gear from left side to right a left hand starter and pull the pan and buy a LH oil pump.Probibly what I'll do is position the engine with the front facing the mill and run a jackshaft from the rear of the engine to the front.Is their any reason that won't work?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

I was at mill that had a really long jack shaft that had 25 belts running off of it going to various loactions.  It worked for them, it ought to work for you.  You might want to reverse the fan so you're not blowing sawdust around. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

Can you run it off the front of the crank like a hydralic pump?
That might be a dumb question because you need a clutch .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dave Shepard

I think all you need is the left hand starter. Those screamers will run in any position/orientation but upside down.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Don been thinking about driving it off the front,but wasen't sure how much power I could take off the front.Detroit sells two front clutches one 60hp the outher 100hp,I've never seen one.The only use I can think of is to run a concrete mixer with a front PTO,or possibly a winch.I have to build a skid for the engine anyway not much more trouble to mount a shaft to be belt driven by the rear clutch.

bandmiller2

Ron, good point about the sawdust blowing around,I'am planning to build an enclosure around the engine so I can duct the fan wash, of course that warm breeze feels good in the winter.May also make a warm deck,circulate warm coolant underfoot,like the Maine lobstermen next to their pot hauler.

bandmiller2

Yea Dave detroits are not to fussy.We had an old Pirsch arial ladder with a 671 and manual trans.They would stall it on  the ramp ,run backwards,they would pull the emergency stop,and i'd get a call ,lad. 1 blew up and won't start.Really if you change the idler gear in the rear case from one side to the outher crank goes left but the blower and top end go in the right direction.Detroit lists a left hand oil pump stands to reason its a gear pump ,change the crank rotation pump will suck insted of blow.

sawdust

Bandmiller, if I recall right Detroits set up for marine use run the other way. I have seen ads they seem to go cheap. Could you trade?
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Ron Wenrich

We had a left handed Detroit 671.  I don't know if they converted from a right handed or not.  It came with a left handed mill.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

The clasic detroit diesel marine set up is twin screw one left one right.Problem most marine engines have the snot run out of them,and the salt water is tough on everything.The engine I'am getting is low miles and runs well.Frank C.

jason.weir

These guys would know about reversing rotation on the detroit

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/

-Jason

Thank You Sponsors!