iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porcupine report

Started by Dieselrider, March 21, 2008, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

I have (what I consider) good news to report. I have stopped three porcupine from doing any more damage. All caught trying to enter or exit that huge brush pile den I had posted about earlier. I will try to keep you posted. Thanks to you folks here for suggestions.

DR
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

Burlkraft

We been lookin' fer some Porky pics.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dave Shepard

I see porcupines in the road every  now and then. They tend to waddle along slowly with an air of confidence that only a prickly varmint would have. Apparently they aren't aware that  cars worry little about getting quilled. I wouldn't hit one, but I've seen them smooshed on the side of the road.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dieselrider

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 21, 2008, 09:12:15 AM
We been lookin' fer some Porky pics.... ;D ;D ;D

That's what my wife is telling me. I told her there are some dead ones over the hill to look at but, that just doesn't seem to satisfy her much. I won't promise any pics. Maybe a pic of a dead one. Lol.

Dieselrider

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 21, 2008, 11:17:49 AM
I see porcupines in the road every  now and then. They tend to waddle along slowly with an air of confidence that only a prickly varmint would have. Apparently they aren't aware that  cars worry little about getting quilled. I wouldn't hit one, but I've seen them smooshed on the side of the road.

Dave
I wouldn't mind hitting them with the punkin of the vehicle or something hard but, I wouldn't want to hit one with a tire. I had one full of quills on the side wall once from a near miss.

Sprucegum

:-X  So - how are they getting dead?  ???

Warbird

Dieselrider

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 21, 2008, 03:26:07 PM
  :-X  So - how are they getting dead?  ???

If I answer that question, I would be violating my fifth amendment rights because pieces of cable that tighten around the animal are not actually allowed here above ground. They do allow snares under water here though. So, I had better not answer that, ok?  I have had to dispatch two of the three with a .22 The other was dead when I got to it. smiley_horserider.   Gettin outa town before the pose shows up!

Robert Long

Hey Dieselrider!

This reminds me of my years back while cooking at a resort on Lake Kashkawakawingamoug in Ontario, Canada. On my day off I would go to the lodge dump and shoot porkies with my 22 and bring them back to the lodge for the native people to pick up, they would use the quills to make bead art.  I think I still have some of their work in a trunk.  It was payment for the porkies and nice work it was!

Robert ;D

Dieselrider

Quote from: Robert Long on March 21, 2008, 06:58:26 PM
Hey Dieselrider!

This reminds me of my years back while cooking at a resort on Lake Kashkawakawingamoug in Ontario, Canada. On my day off I would go to the lodge dump and shoot porkies with my 22 and bring them back to the lodge for the native people to pick up, they would use the quills to make bead art.  I think I still have some of their work in a trunk.  It was payment for the porkies and nice work it was!

Robert ;D

Now that would be great to see. I have read where the indians used the quills but I haven't seen the finished product.

Robert Long

After posting the story my wife claims she gave the native art work to our daughter, so a pic would be difficult at the moment but perhaps others out there can post or explain this art more.

In the mean time I will talk to my daughter.

Robert

katie-did

Here is a link to a awsome web site. There are pictures of quillwork and some links to how it is done. It pretty much look just like bead work.
http://www.crazycrow.com/crafts/quillwork.php
I have been going to try it but just never found the time.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Paschale

his reminds me of my years back while cooking at a resort on Lake Kashkawakawingamoug in Ontario, Canada.

Man...say that name five times fast!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

breederman

I had a hard time saying it once slowly!
Together we got this !

Dieselrider

Quote from: breederman on March 23, 2008, 10:32:01 AM
I had a hard time saying it once slowly!

I haven't even got it said once!

Dave Shepard

That's one of those trick names, it's pronounce Lake Smith, the Kashkawakawingamoug part is silent. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Robert Long

Lake 'Smith' :D is near the small town of Haliburton, Ont.

Katie-dee.....That's a great web site and shows the work I am talking about.
It's amazing what they can do with the porky quills,  I wonder if now they use plastic?

Robert

Furby

Quote from: Paschale on March 23, 2008, 10:23:52 AM
his reminds me of my years back while cooking at a resort on Lake Kashkawakawingamoug in Ontario, Canada.

Man...say that name five times fast!   ;D

I thought that WAS 5 times fast! :o :D

Thank You Sponsors!