iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder winch retrofits anyone?

Started by mad murdock, January 19, 2009, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

I have a Garrett model 15 skidder which is equipped with a Gearmatic 8A .  I sure would like to upgrade this winch, as the 8A is a pain in the butt for occasional use.  If it is used day in and day out, it stays in fairly good operation condition.  With occasional use, it is prone to rusting on the drum, leaks at various fluid fittings and joints, etc. etc.  Has anyone ever upgraded their Gearmatic 8A machine with a newer JD winch, ( maybe a 3315), or are there any suggestions as to which direction a person could check into for a better replacement winch, for a bugeted price?  The skidder hydraulic system is not real high pressure like newer machines it has a belt driven single stage pump for steering and blade operation, which seems to work fine.  If I had to guess flow rates maybe 5-10 GPM.  I could retrofit the pto to drive a winch hyd. pump for a newer type winch.  One nice thing about the 8A that I do like, is that when the thing works, it has TONS of pull,  more than the 3310 JD that was on a JD350 a friend of mine has.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

barbender

The hercules winch on the old TJ I use from time to time has been fairly trouble free, if theres something tou can't winch with it it probably shouldn't be moved ;)
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

who was the manufacturer of the Hercules? was it built by Ramsey? Braden Carco? I will search it out. Thanks for your input.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Woodworth

I have  a Garret 10 with a model 8 and two Garret 21'S with Gearmatic model 19 winches and as a habit when i park them I leave some slack in the drum line and when going to use next time just drum in the slack which frees up the drum. The Gearmatic is a good strong winch with low maintance, if you keep your clotch cams lubed, keep a eye on the roto seal (use two) and make sure the case vents and drain are clear, also another good idea is to seal the case with a sealer to keep water out.
The big thing I like about the Gearmatic is freespool without the motor running as aposed to the JD's and are a lot cheaper to work on.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

It is true what you say about the cost of upkeep and parts as compared to JD.  When I did have the gearmatic working, the thing pulled way more than the JD winch did.  I guess what I need to do is disassemble, get the bands relined, and reseal everything, then stick with what works.  I really like the Garrett.  I think it is a great machine.  Thanks for your thoughts.

John Woodworth

Be sure and check the outer support bearing, and remember it is preloaded with the spanner nut on case, also check the Roto seal fitting on drum shaft for wear and put it back together with two seals.
Put Aiti-seize on the splines on drum shaft, makes life a lot easier when pulling inner band carrier down the road.
Also put anti-seize on the bolts for the inner band cams as well as in the groove under each cam.
You might look around, some of the 15's as well as the Garret 20 used a model 9 Gearmatic, looks the same, direct bolt on.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!