iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its gone

Started by MrMoo, May 20, 2003, 02:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Well I sold my mill this past weekend. Kind of hated to do it but since I have a new mill on order it was the right thing to do.
The guy who bought it was upgrading from a chainsaw type mill. He liked what he was buying and I am sure he will take good care of it. I gave him a fair price and I think we both did okay.
I must say it felt kind of odd knowing the hemlock I milled Saturday afternoon was the last log on my mill. I felt I did ok with this machine.
Come to think of it my new mill will be an upgrade for me. It will have some of those Hydrauliks on it  8). I'm kind of excited to get it. I spoke to the manufacturer this morning and he thought it would be done this week. Yippie doodle!
Anyway I thought I'd share this with everyone.
Mike

Left_Coast_Rich

Well Mike   8) Life goes on but we all understand.  now What color did you get and when will it be delivered.  what kind of goodies did you get with the mill and what was the deciding factor that caused you to pick that specific mfgt and mill besides cost that is   Congrats for the upgrade  left coast rich :D
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

Weekend_Sawyer

What kind of  mill did you sell? And what kind are you buying?
What made you make a switch.
Details! We need Details!!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DextorDee

I second all of dat .whats da scoop?
How long did you use the mill?_______
I think we may have had the same mill ::)
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Bibbyman

Early winter of 2001 we sold our 96 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG35 Super and ordered a new LT40HDE25.  We still had a 94 manual LT40 we also had for sale and continued using it.  Just a few days before our new mill arrived,  we sold the 94 mill.

It was a little strange,  Mary had some remorse  :'( over selling the 96 Super we hadn't had that long but none over seeing the 94 manual (we had had since new) go down the road to a new owner. ;D

There has been times when Mary has wished she had the 94 manual back.  On some small jobs with short and odd shaped logs,  the 94 manual was more convenient to use than the new Super.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MrMoo

Okay more details, but first. Bibbyman it sounds like you understand how I felt about seeing my mill go to a new owner. I suspect though that my old mill now lives in a shed which will be better than living under a tarp outdoors.
Before selling it my wife and I talked about keeping it to do board edging. I still think having the smaller manual mill for that would have worked well. I had expected it would take a while to sell the mill so I figured that I was going to use for edging for a bit, but since it sold in 3 days it never happened. Its probably better because space in my yard is pretty tight.

Anyway the old mill was a Turner 1330. It was my first mill and I learned a lot using it. As time passed and I had access to larger logs I found that they were too large for that mill. I will say that the Turner was a good mill and did a good job for me. I would recommend one to anyone looking at manual mills. I got lots of good boards off it.
I also thought having hydraulics would make life easier for me as I work alone. Actually I will be working alone as my wife was helping but she has indicated she does not enjoy milling (gee I just can't understand that).
By working with the Turner I came up with a set of must haves for a new mill and that's when my search began. It took a while but I finally settled on a JC Saw. Those machines met everything I was looking for and he would custom build it with exactly the hydraulics I wanted. From the time of my first talking to him I added more hydraulics. I started with just a log loader, then a log turner, then toe boards, and finally power feed on the head. I sort of expect I won't know what to do with all the new fangled gadgets on it.
Oh ya its green. It'll blend in with the forest. Hmm maybe I should have considered camo  :D.

As I said it'll arrive in the next few days. When that happens I'll try to do the best I can to post pictures but I don't have one of those new fangled digital cameras. Thanks for eveyones interest.

Mike

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Mr Moo,

You don't need a digital, just ask for a cd or floppy when you have your film developed. Most processors can do that.

MrMoo

Thanks Weekend Sawyer,
I didn't think of that. Given I work in the tall tech field I should know those things but hay I don't have a cell phone either. Most people I work with think its odd that I prefer to have a sawmill rather than pda or something.

Weekend_Sawyer

I know what you mean, I work in the High Tech field all day and in the evenings I return home to my most humble of abodes, a trailer behind the barn in the woods! I don't have a land line phone, PC or Cable. but I also cannot see anyone else's house from my porch. Some day I will break ground on my house but for now I'm having too much fun the way things are!
WS

Thank You Sponsors!