iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beams or Boards ?

Started by Burlkraft, March 19, 2008, 06:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I know of a bunch 100 year old white oak beams  ;D  ;D
Pretty solid ..most of them. There are 6 that are 14" X 14" X 22'
They are nice because they were high in the barn out of nail range.

My big question is are they worth more as big, solid, 100 year old beams or...

Saw them all into boards for 100 year old flooring  ???  ???  ???

Any body know what they might sell for   ???   ???

I have a bunch of lots shorter ones that are 10" X 10" X 9' that are going
into boards.... ;)  ;)  ;)

My friend (who's barn it was) was going to saw them into firewood  :o  :o  :o

I guess I better get a bunch of blades  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

rfalk

You might want to talk to a timberframer first....Tom Holmes, Glenville Timberwrights in Baraboo would be a good first call. Bob
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

Larry

I used to re-saw white oak out of old tobacco barns for a steady customer.  With all the checks and dirt that had settled in the cracks I thought the boards were junk.  The guy that was paying the bill thought they were great.  Some folks can sell most anything...especially if than can hang the old tag on it.

I think best use is as they are...let a architect from Bass Pro, Cabelas, or a new trendy restaurant figure out how to use em.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

isawlogs

I think investing in a good nail metal detector would be my priority number one .  8) :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

If you decide to saw them, get the market first.

Beams are precious down here for use in Multi-million dollar homes mansions.  A conversaton with a building contractor that builds upper class, rather than track, homes would be the best way to get the word out that you had them.  Your niche is better. You can also saw them if they want.  ;D

WH_Conley

#2 and #4 replies say it best.
Bill

Burlkraft

Ya know......That's what I enjoy most about this place  ;)   ;D

I ask a couple a questions and I git all the info I need and git hooked up with a couple buyers of beams too  ;D  ;D

8)     8)      8)

Thanks Guys....  ;D ;D ;D

stumpy

hey Steve,

I got a hit on my FF link the other day from a builder looking for some wide and long black Walnut.  I couldn't help him, but he may be a good contact for you about your beams.  I'll forward his email.
Let me know if'n ya want some help sawin them up.  I'd trade ya some labor for future lunch considerations.  You just gettin back into this heavy work, I wouldn't want ya to strain that ticker too soon! :D
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Burlkraft

Just ignore the e-mail I returned to you.....

The beams are out near Mt. Horeb.
Not too far from Beenthere's house  ;D  ;D

I'll let ya know.

Future lunch considerations are always an option  ;)  ;)  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!