iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple block foundation?

Started by FrankLad, March 18, 2008, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankLad

Hey guys!

So I guess I've had enough relaxation time after finishing our house, and am now looking at ways to build a shed with some spare timbers we have stacked behind the house.  :)

At the moment, I'm wondering what would be the best way to do a foundation.  I don't want to pour a slab - I would rather use blocks and build it off the ground. 

The main question I have at the moment is, what do I put between the timber posts and the blocks?  Undoubdetly something treated, but as far as the connections / anchoring that would have to take place, I'm open for ideas.

Maybe concrete-filled 12x12 blocks, with wet-anchor bolts placed, which would run through treated 2x material (mudsill), into the post bottoms?  Just one idea.

Thanks for any input!

Jim_Rogers

Being in a high wind area like you are, I'd consider some type of hold down for sure.
You can do it as you suggested, but attaching anything into end grain isn't going to hold very much.
You might consider embedding a strap into the concrete poured into the center of the blocks to the side of the post like this:

And even if you use some pressure treated wood under the posts, I'd still use some type of a water proof membrane between the wood and concrete, so that moisture doesn't wick up into the wood.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FrankLad

QuoteJim_Rogers: You can do it as you suggested, but attaching anything into end grain isn't going to hold very much.

If I did go that route, it would be with a Timberlinx type connection, which forms a "T" in the bottom of the post, with a pin going through perpindicular to the bolt.

I hadn't really thought about the straps for the shed.  The post hold-downs on our house were done similarly - heavy gauge straps were wet set into the 12x12 blocks, protruding out from the back side, then nailed to the frame once it was in place.

I appreciate the tip about using a waterproof membrane between the PT wood and cement.  The moisture is a concern I have.

Thank you for sharing that picture, Mr. Jim!  Is that middle post connected to the pilaster in some way, or just sitting there?

Jim_Rogers

Like this:

In this case the rebar just locates the post so that it can't fall off the post should he back into it with his truck or tractor.
But there is a piece of tar paper or something water proof between the post and the concrete pier.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FrankLad

Ahhhhhh...

Thanks so much for your willingness to post pictures.

Thank You Sponsors!