iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insomnia...or better yet: INSANITY!

Started by Paschale, March 17, 2008, 04:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Man, sometimes I'll get insomnia for no apparent reason.  It seems the older I get the more often it happens.  Last night was a regular night for me...didn't have caffeine late tonight, didn't take a Sunday nap or anything to throw things off kilter, but it's now 4:00 in the morning, and I've been wide awake since I went to bed at midnight.  ARGH!!!!

What's your favorite cure for insomnia?  Anyone found any good over the counter stuff, or some sort of herbal remedy?

I've tried Ambien and that works, but often by the time you've figured out you're not going to be falling asleep like usual, it's too late to use Ambien.  I learned the hard way--I took Ambien once at around 2:00 in the morning, and slept right through my alarm clock and was late for work because of it.   ::)

All I want to do is smiley_sleeping
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

breederman

I turn on late night talk radio, that will usally work. It seems that it is a sore back as often as not that wakes me up after about four hours so if I feel a little sore at bed time I will take one Aleve Tablet before bed and that will help also.  Being the young buck that you are you probably don't have any pains. :)
Together we got this !

thecfarm

My wife has a hard time sleeping just about every night.Wouldn't even know it with her.I get kinda touchy when I don't sleep.Don't happen too often,good thing.Doctor claims if not asleep in a ½ hour get up and do something.Than go back to bed and try again.I wake up in the night at times and hear the sewing machine going sometimes.Doctor claims you should have a certain bed time and stick to it.Does not matter what time,but just about the same each night.Watch the late night meals or snacking.Bed is made for 2 things,sleeping and the other thing.No reading either.Don't keep looking at the clock.I can tell when she has a real bad night.The clock she can see will have my hat over it.No lights to bother you.Night lights are a no-no. Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Paschale
For several years, I felt the same way and would just get up and do something...not worry too much about it.
Picked up some AdvilPM over the counter, and upon reading the label, decided there were too many warnings, and would not take them.  Later, asked my Dr about not sleeping, and he suggested trying some over the counter, such as AdvilPM.  He wasn't too concerned about the warnings, so I started taking some.

Said not to take more than two pills.  I took one and felt jumpy.
So dropped to 1/2 a pill, just before bed, and haven't slept better in years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Beenthere only dreams he's laying awake. Burlkraft and I heard him snoring most of the night right along with the rest of us at the ATV outing.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Paschale, I've been thinking of starting this same thread for a month. I've been going totally nuts over not sleeping. Same as you, awake til 3 or 4 just about everyday. Sometimes, I'll get to 5 and figure I'm better off just staying up, because if I do fall asleep, I won't wake up til noon. I hate taking pills of any kind, but have been really close to trying something. :-\ When I see Faron and Cedarman online, I know it getting late, and if thecfarm is on, it's really getting late.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patty

Insomnia is brutal. I think we all have it at one time or another in our lives. One thing that helps is adding white noise, so you don't lay there listening to every little sound in the house. They have white noise machines, but we have found that running a small table top or desk fan helps alot. The fan noise is white noise with the added benefit of a cool breeze. You might give one a try.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Radar67

The tick tock of an old wind up clock serves as a good white noise too.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Roxie

Patty, I run a small fan everynight too.  When I first moved into the house I'm in, 19 years ago, I had moved from a house that had some road noise in the background.  This place is so quiet that I could hear the refrigerator turn on!  I had a lot of trouble staying asleep, until one warm night, I started the fan.  I haven't slept a night without one running since.  It really does lull you to sleep and circulates the air in the room. 
Say when

Paschale

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I finally fell asleep at around 5:00, only to wake up at about 9:40, and realized I had 20 minutes to get to a place by 10:00 that takes me an hour to travel to.   ::)  When insomnia starts impacting your career or professional life, something's got to change.  I'll be buying a second alarm clock today, since apparently in my comatose state this morning, I shut off the alarm.  I can't risk that ever happening to me again--you just appear like a slug to people, but my body just rebelled this morning.

After that disaster, I made an appointment, so I'll see what the doc says.  I think probably I need to be much more consistent with when I go to bed--that can vary wildly, from anywhere between 11:00 and 2:00, and I suspect getting up at the same time each day is important to.  I like grabbing a nap now and again, but maybe that's a mistake too. 

As to the fan and white noise, I can't even think about sleeping without it.  I've been using a fan for years now, though I think the best night of sleep I've had in awhile was in Puerto Rico, where I heard the waves of the Caribbean crashing all night long.  No one can resist sleeping when you hear that!

I'll report back what the doc says.

beenthere

Quote from: Radar67 on March 17, 2008, 02:26:08 PM
The tick tock of an old wind up clock serves as a good white noise too.

I liken that 'tick-tock' to the torture routine of dripping water on the head......I'll take Patty's white noise anyday over a tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock :o :o :o

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Ah, so now we know what method of torture you prefer.... :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

For about 6 months out of the year I have a small fan going. It burned up after years of faithful service and abuse. I guess I need to get another one. I usually put a DVD on at bedtime,, usually MASH, which I've seen a million x1047 times. That helps. The hard thing sometimes is shutting my brain off. I'm either inventing something, or trying to make my sawmill routine more efficient. I tried counting sheep jumping over a fence once, but the sheep got bored before I fell asleep and wouldn't jump over the fence anymore. :-\ Then they stuck their tongues out at me and I got pithed and really couldn't sleep. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Roxie

Hey, I just thought of something that I do when I'm having trouble actually getting to sleep, and it works.  Close your eyes and in your mind picture a board with the number 100 on it.  Now change 100 to 99....98....97....96 zzzz_smiley

Say when

pigman

When I have trouble going to sleep I count sheep. The closest sheep is at a neighbor's  farm about two miles away. By the time I walk there, count his small flock of sheep and walk home it is time to get up anyway. The next night I go to sleep without any trouble. 8)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Pigman,

Whatever you do, don't ever start counting polar bears... :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill

All good stuff  :)

I might try adding a couple more

Don't do anything with TV's and esp not computers late
Reading is a good late night activity for some - clears the head
Some foods will help lull you to sleep -
         turkey
         warm milk - maybe with a little honey
         bowl of cereal
    with food/drink you need to be careful not to have so much you need to get up in the middle of the night

I may think of more later - when I 'm up late    :o

metalspinner

I can't believe nobody said the best way for wearing yourselves out before bedtime... on second thought, maybe I shouldn't either. :-X
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Paschale

The doc gave me a scrip for some low grade Ambien to just have on hand when the need hits.  I don't like taking pills, in general, but sometimes you just have to.  The new stuff on the market, Ambien CR is designed to keep pumping out the drugs all night long, which isn't anything I ever need.  Usually, if I have insomnia, it's just something that effects me falling asleep--I'm not a light sleeper, once I pass out.  We'll see what happens.

I've been thinking about this more too--I noticed that I started sleeping better when I started religiously taking a multi-vitamin earlier this year.  I've let that slip in the past few weeks, and suddenly insomnia hits.  I'm wondering if it could be as simple as that.   ???

As to metalspinner's comment...why do you think I'm losing all the weight?  I'm trying to find just what you suggest...   ;)

Patty

Actually Metalspinner has the best remedy of all I have to agree, most fun too.  ;) HOWEVER for those who want additional options...they say going to bed at the same time every night helps alot.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

metalspinner

Quotethey say going to bed at the same time every night helps alot.

Yeah, I noticed when I work late, my wife is already asleep when I get to bed. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

I think that silence and dark is necessary for restful sleep too.  Radio noise, TV's  or taped surf or forest noises just attract your brain away from its natural search for rejuvenation.   While I'm no sleep Doctor, I think that we wouldn't need sleep if we could rest with the world's noises and other attention-getters going on around us.  Sleeping in silence may be training as much as sleeping with with noise, but noise will wake us up. :)

Bill

FWIW  - I seem to recall that someone told me that they'll stop drinking coffee/tea or taking chocolate ( caffeine in it too ) after lunch because of the caffeine affecting their ability to fall asleep that night.

Good Luck

Dave Shepard

I don't know if caffeine is affecting me, I gave up coffee for the most part, but I haven't been able to kick my Diet Dr. Pepper habit yet. I try to only drink one or two a day, but I would really like to drink about a barrel a day. ::) I think eating late at night is affecting my sleep. Going to try not eating after 8 PM. We'll see.

Dave

OneWithWood

It seems that if I continue to work until I just can't go anymore I sleep better.  (wife says I snore louder too)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Nate Surveyor

If you have a good wife, she will tuck you in, where you really will sleep soundly!

If she over does it, you will still be asleep at noon!

N
I know less than I used to.

sprucebunny

Valerian is an herb that promotes sleep. Smells horrid but really works.

I'm very sensitive to drugs and taking one ordinary Advil will usually help along with reading a book I've already read  :D
The book gets your mind off things that are bothering you.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I tell ya Pascale, I sure have it. I'm not sore in bed, I have certain positions I can sleep in when I sleep. If I lay wrong on a shoulder/arm it aches or goes to sleep and that wakes me up. Last night I couldn't sleep but maybe drowse off at 15 -30 minute intervals. I turned the CBC late night radio on and just laid there. Radio at that time is about Poland and Australia. Might as well lay there with my eyes shut as sit up. I'm even up until 12:00 am every night. The only coffee I drink is as 7:00 am and not every day. I don't even snack at night and most desert is fruit and nuts. I don't eat much bread other than sandwich as noon, or a cracker.

My parents are the same, they always talk the last half the night in bed and father will be up at 5:00 am or earlier and go lay down out on his couch.  When they lived up here and we had rugs, he'd go lay on the rug with the old dog against his back. His trouble is napping before bed and he used to parade half the evening to the fridge for something to eat, namely ice cream.

I've got no answers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

arojay

A couple of years ago I listened to a set of radio programs that were on at lunchtime, about sleep.  One segment was about just this topic and the speaker said that many people are short of magnesium in their bodys chemistry and that will cause you to have trouble sleeping.  Something to do with the release of endorphins, melatonin etc..  Well like most of the folks on this thread, I have trouble sleeping too, so I tried a magnesium supplement like the expert suggested.  It's actually Calcium/Magnesium which is probably good for my aging bones.  It seems to help me.  The other thing is, I used to worry about not sleeping when I was not sleeping, which caused me to stay awake!  I have trained myself to think about a fun moose hunt or something else like that and I usually find that before I know it 5:30 rolls around and I have been sleeping.  In summer we have lots of daylight and when I wake up any time after 4 I just get up and get at it.  Anyway the Cal/mag can't hurt.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Dave Shepard

Funny you should mention this arojay, I usually take a couple of calcium magnesium supplements at bedtime, but I ran out a while ago, about the time the leg cramps came back and the sleep problems started up.

Dave

Paschale

Just look at the bloody time when I'm posting this reply and you'll know why I'm putting in this face:   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Looks like it's time for an Ambien!   ;)

SwampDonkey

5:00 am? Oh well, time ya was up anyway.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quote from: Paschale on May 10, 2008, 04:16:54 AM
Just look at the bloody time when I'm posting this reply and you'll know why I'm putting in this face:   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Looks like it's time for an Ambien!   ;)
It is a little late to be getting up, but why would you be taking Ambien if you over slept. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Nate Surveyor

I had a dream last night, that I went Mobile Milling, with my Peterson. For some reason, I had left my log bunkers at home. I was having a bear of a time cutting out some more, as I did not have any mechanism to hold the small logs I was cutting into bunkers.

I just kept struggling, and could not figure out how to get it done, safely, and efficiently. I finally woke up, trying to figure it out.
:D :D
Gads!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Tom

If that happens again, just go around to the other side of the truck where the stream is and there will be some laying there that a fellow built last night.  The stream is running cool and there is a cane pole and some old bread laying there too.   You might as well fish a few minutes before you get all entangled in work again.  :)

jim king

It is real simple for me, I can sit at the computor 12 hours until I cannot stay awake and go to bed and cant go to sleep.

An 8 hour day walking or working in the jungle and I am asleep non stop for 10 hours.

Physical work is the best sleeping pill on the market for me.

asy

Quote from: Paschale on May 10, 2008, 04:16:54 AM
Just look at the bloody time when I'm posting this reply

6pm??  what's the problem?! 

Seriously, though, if you do take the sleeping tablet and are prone to hitting the alarm and turning it off, try getting a second alarm clock (as you suggested) but, make sure it's a LOUD one and put it at the other side of the room. NOT somewhere you can hit it from the bed. Somewhere that you have to get up, out of bed, to turn it off.

I can't understand your pain, really, coz I can fall asleep anywhere, anytime, anyhow. Bordering on narcolepsy..   :-\

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

okie

Boy I can relate! I work swing shifts of 7:30 am - 7:30 pm for 2 weeks then its 7:30 pm -7:30 am for 2 weeks. I usually dont know if I'm coming or going. I work 2 off 2 work 3 off 2 work 2 off 3 in other words I work mon, tues, fri, sat, sun, wed thurs, and then its time to chance shifts when monday rolls around. It is usually sunday or wednesday before I get used to the shift I am on then its time to change sleeping habits again. Oh the things we do for a paycheck. It is now 2:00 pm, I am just now waking up after going to sleep @ 8:00 am and will be at work @ 6:45 pm. I gave some thought to sleeping pills to help me regulate my schedule but the doc says that when my body needs to sleep it will sleep one way or another, I just hope I dont have a 4 ton load on the crane when it comes time ::).
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Woodchuck53

Hey guys, Metalspinner uses the trick of choice of course. We work nights the first week we are out here and then roll over to days the following Wed. You hear all kinds of ideas and quick ways to get our rest. For me I stay up till 8am, have a 16" fan on high. For some reason can only sleep on my left shoulder. I wear ear plugs because of the noise here and the wife's snoring at home. Works most of the time. Lunesta works for most of the guys you hear talk about it though. When I was on the road I could sleep any where at a drop of a hat any hotel location. Chill the place down to 68 or 70 degrees and snore away. Most people of our caliper build and plan so much it is hard to switch off and relax at night. Good luck. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on May 23, 2008, 04:19:09 PM
Most people of our caliper build and plan so much it is hard to switch off and relax at night. Good luck. CV

That's my problem, I'm always planning the next day, or working on calculations in my head for some contraption I'm building. When I show up to work a little groggy my boss asks me if I've been engineering in my sleep again. I say no, I was doing it while I was awake. ::)

Dave

Woodchuck53

Hey Dave ain't it the truth. The guys out here say they can track me all over this place from the doodle pads I have. I leave from home and drive 5 hrs. I have a pad in the car. I have one in the lab. and one at my desk. I guess until I get the mill painted and the first board off it this will be the way it goes. But I have built everything around here by my self with very little paper drawings just out of my head. Of course the wife says when I'm down for the count I go way down. Thats how tired I get from this shift I am on. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Dave Shepard

Yup, I need an OFF switch on the side of my head. ::) :-\

Dave

(Hopefully somebody will remember to turn it back on! :o  :D )

Bibbyman

I do my best and clearest thinking in the middle of the night. 

When I worked as a designer,  I would figure out innovative solutions to complex problems in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping.  A good employer would have done well to let me take as many naps as I needed during the day so I could resolve problems at night.

I did have a boss that I swear could have cured the world of insomnia.    All you had to was listen to him talk for 2 minutes and you'd be fighting to stay awake.  I did ok but there were a few cases where a guy would wake up in the middle of the next meeting!  I kid you not.  A guy would fall asleep and at the end of the meeting, everyone would walk out.  Then next bunch would come in and let him set there until he woke of natural causes wondering what happened.  Nice to have friends ...   eh eh
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Paschale

Well, it's 5:30 AM, and I'm up and wide awake.  Never slept a wink.  ::) Have to take my neighbor to the airport, and by the time I get back, the sun'll be up.

I guess if I want to be a glass is half full kinda guy, it looks like I'll sleep great tomorrow night.  ::)

SwampDonkey

I do my best sleeping from 9:00 pm to 12:00 am.  Sun's been up here for an hour. Not official sunrise, but I could see all around the yard. ::)

CLL

My problem is, I go to sleep, but only sleep 30-45 minutes, then I'm awake for 2 hours. sleep 30-45 minutes, awake again. Don't do it every night just occasionally.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Thank You Sponsors!