iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging finished time to cut firewood(pic added)

Started by Quebecnewf, March 14, 2008, 06:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well we have 400 logs home to the mill so far this winter. Most of them are snowed up but thats ok it will be melted by May.

I plan to cut a bit of firewood starting tomorrow.

Will post pics tomorrow

here is MBH sawing up some birch

a load ready to haul up out of the woods

as you can see we have lots of snow since we put up our cabin this winter

birch all packed up and ready to dry we will leave this and haul it next winter after a full year of drying makes it a whole lot easier to haul for a snowmobile birch is very heavy when its green

Quebecnewf

Furby

Guess I never thought about it, but it would be easier on the sled.
You don't have to worry about anyone running off with your stash I take it?

Quebecnewf

No thats not a problem here. Once the snow melts no one can get to the area and even if they could wood theft is not a problem here.

Quebenewf

thecfarm

Who is MBH? I suppose that is my best helper? Spiltting that with a maul?I split alot of wood that way years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

MBH is My better half

As I said we are about finished logging here is the results of or labour. Most of them are snowed up

As I said we are about finished logging however we went in today again too nice to stay home. Here is a nice spruce we cut today

All loaded up and ready for home. We also cut a few loads of firewood. Great day to be in the woods

Quebecnewf

beenthere

QN
Sure appreciate you taking the time to take and post pictures of your great day in the woods. That spruce looks to be pretty good size.

Do you log on your own land, or have to purchase timber where you log?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

No this is all crown land and there are no fees to cut logs. Well there are but we just ignore them for now. The area were we cut the spruce has been totally devastated by the hemlock looper a few years back. All the fir was eaten and is now dead and falling down. This means that the spruce stands alone and they are not designed to stand without shelter from the fir so every year more and more of them blow down. All of the area is now being repopulated with birch. In time this will die of and in 100 years from now it will all be back as it was. I will try to get some pics if i go in that way again. It looks like a war zone.
The spruce gave 2x14' logs the first had a 12" top the second a 11" top and I left a 12' log on the snow. My buddy will pick it up tomorrow

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!