iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log scaling pointers?

Started by Dave Shepard, March 13, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I haven't had to do much scaling at our mill. I just saw up the logs they give me. Lately, however, I have been doing some scaling to try and get an idea of my average log usage per day. I've given the boss a challenge, you see. ;) Originally I told him I would need about 4,000 feet of logs per week using the international 1/4" scale. It seems that in an eight hour day, I can go through closer to 1800 of mixed lengths and diameters (8,10,12,14 feet, and 8-20 inches). Some of the logs had a little sweep, or a crook to them. I wasn't really sure how to scale them, so I tried to guess about the size of good log was in the middle.

Here is my question. What tips can anyone offer for scaling logs? Sometimes there has been some damage from pinching with the log grapple. I know I am going to loose a board or two on the outside from this. We haven't had to buy logs, yet, but if I start using up 5-6mbf per week, or more, we are going to have to start. I'd like to be able to fairly assess the footage of the logs. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Here is a link to a topic I started years ago talking about scale and grading.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,11237.0.html

It includes a link to get an online copy of this handbook.

I don't know nothing about softwoods.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!