iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Am I going crazy?

Started by Dave Shepard, March 13, 2008, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

And would you tell me if I was? ;D

Sometimes when I visit the Forum on this machine ( the Linux one) it is as if I am on a high speed connection. It's not just faster, which wouldn't take much, this machine is a real dog normally, and I don't know why, both use the same phone line and ISP, but it's instantaneous. A page that would normally take 15-20 seconds to load, loads in a fraction of a second. These periods of highs speed don't last long though. :( Anyone have any thoughts? How can dialup suddenly, if ever so briefly, become high speed?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ronwood

Dave,

I wondering if some of your pages are cached on the pc hardrive.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Dave Shepard

I don't know, but it is loading stuff like crazy right now, it's almost scary, like my computer has been possessed of something. If the computer is cacheing, then wouldn't it be the same speed all the time? I checked some other sites that I haven't visited yet on this computer, and they are fast too. It is really weird, it is T-1 fast now, and will be like two kids with tin cans on a string later. ??? ???

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Your current bandwidth reading is:

41.40kbps

which means you can download at 5.18 KB/sec. from our servers.

The last time I tested the speed it was around 23kbps. I don't know why it's kicked up a notch, but a little bandwidth goes a long way! 8)

Dave

DanG

Enjoy it while you can, Dave, but don't get too excited.  From what you're saying, I assume you're on dial-up.  Back when dial-up was king, the local ISPs loaded up on bandwidth and access circuits.  As demand for this service wanes, they are disconnecting the circuits and cutting off some of the bandwidth.  I'm guessing that you are just in a period where they have more bandwidth than they need, and they will soon cut it back again. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Coon

Dave, back when we had dial up we experienced the same thing.  What we believed to have happening was that when it was lightening fast there were fewer people pulling off of your service providers at the moment of connection.  If you had connected when there was higher traffic levels the bandwidth would have been shared with more people thus slower connection.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dave Shepard

That might be, it hasn't been happening lately though. :-\ Going to have a wireless tower going in very soon in town. 8) 8) 8)

Dave

Coon

I am glad that we don't have to worry about it anymore as we have broadband.  It really makes alot of difference for the downloading.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dave Shepard

I can't wait to download a Youtube, probably find out it's just a big joke being played on us dial uppers. ::)

Dave

SwampDonkey

I was on a  web page a couple weeks ago and can't remember which. But, I'm on dialup and I was receiving at 75 Kbits/s, usually it averages 30 Kbits/s. It was a 500 kb file and it did load fast. Apparently, my ISP offers a faster connection on dialup, but I have to pay extra. I don't get that business philosophy with current technology, but whatever.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))