iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill has me perplexed???

Started by JoeyLowe, May 19, 2003, 02:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

Okay, my mill has me perplexed today.  Have the Woodmizer LT40 Super.  I've been sawing a whole bunch of timber frame beams.  We cut over 300 just over the weekend.  All of a sudden ( :D)  I noticed that the beams are different sizes on each end.  For instance, one end might be 8" x 8" and the other end turns out to be 7 1/2" x 8".  Now I'm squaring the log before I cut the beam and the rollers are down and the guides and blade appear to be working right.  What might be the source of my contention?  Any ideas?
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Minnesota_boy

Do those beams taper evenly from end-to-end or is there a curve on one side?  Your log may have bent while you were sawing, which would show up as a curve.  If all sides are straight, then one end of the beam must have been held up off the bed by the roller or by a piece of bark.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

JoeyLowe

I would have to say that the logs are fairly straight with a slight taper.  No curves or knots, etc.  Bark may have been a culprit.  Logs are 20 ' long. SYP ranging in size from 24-30" DBF.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

bull

Check the allignment of the swinging bedrail on each end they may not be level with the rest of the bed.... also longer logs move some.   Crook,Sweep etc. if you need a perfect beam, square your cant larger than the beam your looking for and then size the cant to what you need by squaring / blocking the heart !!!!  Use your leveling rollers to achieve center of the heart, you waste some wood but your beams should be near perfect. Remember the guy upstairs made every tree different, so nothing is perfect......Good luck.

MM

Make sure all your outriggers are down solid along the main rail. I've had dealings with people with the same problem. The last outrigger was not down soild and the frame flex ever so slightly. They discribed it like you did. Double check that. What about stress in the log? Like someone else pointed out check you swing arms . Don't just check them 90 degrees to the main rail. but, also at a 45 and all the way around as far as they can swing. I know the measurement is suppose to be the same. sometime that's not always the case. Hope you figure it out. 1/2 inch off and cost you some$$$$   Matt
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

Thank You Sponsors!