iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glowing red muffler..

Started by zopi, March 12, 2008, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

apparently the 15 hp Kohler doesn't like to saw 15x21x16' cants down to the deck without pausing to off bear...it was getting dark and I just wanted to finish the log...sawed it right down to the deck..or at least 10" of it....muffler was glowing...guess maybe it's running a bit lean...I'll pull the plug in the daylight and check it..sure would like on of those big Cats.. ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Osagedon

Zopi,  Were you sawing those nice pine logs you scored on or were you sawing something harder.

Don

zopi

nahh...big old dry cypress...I'll grant I was kind of pushing the mill...it was up on the governor, but not
eough to bog down..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Captain

I think you'll find that pretty normal in the small engine world.  We have Hondas, Briggs/Strattons and Kohlers that all will do the same thing when operated at capacity.  My favorite is the Briggs on the Forest Fire Truck in Town.  That whole muffler glows red after dark, no lights necessary.

Captain

Dave Shepard

You will notice that a lot on small engines when running them nocturnally. ;) We used to blow leaves in the dark sometimes trying to finish up a job and not have to come back. It was amazing how the mufflers would glow, and the amount of sparks coming out of the engines. Amazing that we never set any leaf piles on fire. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ohsoloco

It's amazing the sparks coming off of the bandmill blade on an opening cut at dusk too  ;)

zopi

hmm...y'know, thinking about it, the mill is the only thing i have that gets run at full throttle at all..maybe that's why i never noticed it..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

Yeah, and sawing dry cypress is a monumental task for blade and engine alike.   Believe it or not, dry cypress sapwood is hard to saw.

Polly

8) 8)    sparks fly upward leaves are on ground :D :D

zopi

Quote from: Tom on March 13, 2008, 03:29:54 PM
Yeah, and sawing dry cypress is a monumental task for blade and engine alike.   Believe it or not, dry cypress sapwood is hard to saw.

sure is pretty tho'
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Stihl_Sam

Heey Guys just read your discussion On why you Mufflers glow red hot as you wouldve read the name My name is sam and I work for vermeer Australia we have the same problem over hear with contracters trying to cut or grind a stump for example That is bigger than what the horse power the Engine iis putting out From my experience I have a lucas Mill and I had a 15 hp kohler and Had to upgrade to the Kohler comannd 30 hp This is just from my experience I found  when the muffler got to hot the engine would overheat and was really hard too start again.

thanks guys

bandmiller2

Farm tractors mufflers will glow red if you work em and it gets dark,they seem to almost get transparent,probibly does them more good than harm.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Engineer

We've got two portable 500gpm pumps on our fire trucks here in town, they have 6-cyl compact Nissan gas engines, and when they get running hard, even in daylight, they get bright cherry red.

Stihl_Sam - WELCOME to the forum!   :)

Tom

Most engines will glow when under stress.  I wear a blue T-shirt most of the time, but you would never know it, because, when I'm thinking real hard, it turns red.  :-\

logwalker

Tom, that is funny...I thought it was when you told a little fib it would begin to glow. I am glad you straightened me out on the misconception.  :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dave Shepard

My Super M used to glow pretty good when I shoveled the oats in the hammermill, it did a good job, but about 60 horse shy of keeping up with what the hammermill could take. That's what the 1256 is for. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Hmmmmmm!

I never considered that my shirt might be glowing red because I was 60 horse shy when my brain was running hard. :-\ :D

Fla._Deadheader

I see this thread is branching off like the Coleoptera thread  ::) ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

zopi

Nahh..it's evolving...I found out what I wanted to know...

Waiting for proof of why Tom is glowing..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

It's not the proof that makes me glow.  :D

ellmoe

Quote from: Tom on March 16, 2008, 12:55:57 PM
It's not the proof that makes me glow.  :D

Is it, "how many proof "(as in 80 proof)?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!