iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber theft

Started by ohsoloco, May 19, 2003, 12:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKinWA

Fla._Deadheader,  I didn't get to do the bbq'in, but I stopped by my parents home not long after my dad took it off the grill.  Good timing on my part ;)  My dad has some alder slabs that he uses like the cedar, but he didn't have one soaking in water so the fish went on aluminum foil instead.  It still tasted pretty darn good.  I've never tried the cedar board, but I'll have to try it.  The quinault tribe that tillaway mentioned has a neat way of using cedar sticks to smoke salmon.  I don't know how to describe it, but their smoked sockey is always a hit at the county fair.  

Tillaway,  We probably know each other if you've been around a while.  I've been a biologist for about 15 years.  For the last 7 I've been a habitat biologist and spent most of my time writing hydraulic project approvals.  It's interesting work, but I've reached a point in my life where it's time for a change.  I'm hoping to turn my part time excavation business into a full time job.  At some point I'd like to merge some of my biology experience with the dirt work and maybe get into culvert and fish passage work.  Who know's, stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

DanG

Noble, we call what you're talkin' about, "cracklin's".  Chitlins, on the other hand, is the actual innards of the hog. Intestines! They is right popular among the folks that come up really pore. I ain't never et none, and don't have any plans fer it, neither.  The official spelling for this delicacy is, "chitterlings."
Any way you slice it, though, it is hog guts. ???

I tried the salmon filets cooked on cedar, and didn't like it. Tasted like it'd been soaked in diesel fuel. In my book, cedar belongs in the closet, not the kitchen.

Welcome, DK. Glad you found us. Where else can you get such a broad eddication, and get to expound on the obscure tidbits of knowledge you may have? :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

Chitlins are innnards, huh?   I'm surprised I've never eaten any  ;D   I think it's more of a southern thing, isn't it?

The only grits I've ever had (or what I was told was grits) was my first weekend at the mess hall my freshman year of college.  Actually crawled out of bed in time for brunch, and in the breakfast line I saw a nice steaming tray of what looked like Cream of Wheat.  Being a fan of this stuff, I took a nice bowl of it....I think I only ate one bite after I found out it wasn't Cream of Wheat  :(     Do real grits look anything like cream of wheat  ???

DanG

Yep, CofW looks a lot like grits. It's just as big a disappointment when you''re expecting grits and it ain't. :-/

Chitlins is favored, mostly by real poor, real country folks. A lot of more upscale folks with country roots like'em, though. It is said, around here, that these folks have "riz above their raisin'." :)

Back to the subject at hand. Maybe those cedar boards my salmon was cooked on was stolen. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mark M

Speakin of being stolen, my old pappy used to say the best tasting watermelon was one you swiped yourself. :D
Course he did get a butt full of rock salt once from those Amishmen across the road :o

Frickman

Shopteacher,

In Pennsylvania, if a timber buyer makes at least one payment on a timber harvest, and then pays nothing else, it is considered a civil matter and law enforcement officials won't touch it. The landowner must chase after and prosecute the logger in civil court at their own expense. Many landowners see the trouble and cost they have to go through and write everything off as an expensive learning experience. The outlaw loggers know this and work the system to their advantage. If they have a written contract and write at least one check then the authorities won't pursue them.
   Along with stealing the timber these crooks typically leave a big mess, usually in a highly visible area. This makes it difficult for an honest, legitimate logger to purchase timber. Even if a landowner wishes to conduct a timber harvest, they usually have at least one neighbor who works against you.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Bro. Noble

DanG you're right about chitlins and cracklins------I'm getting senile but I'm enjoying it ::)

Speaking of food for poor folks-------how bout fatback and collard greens?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

shopteacher

Your right Frickman and I think that was how it was explained on the news.  Trouble with civil cases is when you win you still loose.  If you get a judgement against someone there is no easy way of collecting what is owed you if you can ever collect at all.  Unfortunately it usually will cost you more trying to collect that what is owed you.  Just ain't right people that try to live an honest life, work hard, pay taxes and someone comes along a skirts the law and robs them.  Best thing for that type of person is a lesson from a 12 ga.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, didja use Red Cedar or White Cedar??  Red Cedar is full of oil !! White Cedar is whatcha wanna get !! ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tillaway

DK
I was just a hired gun working in the area whenever someone was selling some land or timber.  I did work on the Quinault though doing an inventory.  That has to be the brushiest, nastiest most bear infested place on the planet.  Thats also quite a bunch of characters living in Amanda Park though. ::)  ;)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

DanG

Harold, I think that was the problem. Sweetie bought them prepackaged on sale. They wuz already on the grill when I got home with a load of logs, or I'da told her to take mine off the board before cooking it. I consume enough essence of wood, without cooking fish on it. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, here's how my customer prepares it. Soak the cedar overnight. Place yer fish on board ::) and season it. Put a little water with a dab of that wooster stuff sauce in the water, in a pie pan and put the fish board in it, and put it in the oven till it's ready to eat. I can ship ya a board, if'n ya wanna try it ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DKinWA

You guys won't believe this!  I just sat down to check out what's new on the forum and listen to the 5pm news and wouldn't you know that they were covering the sentencing of the timber thief.  He was sentenced to 7 1/2 years.  The judge felt his history warranted the stiff sentence.  He's been caught 6 times stealing timber and they feel he's probably stolen millions of dollars in timber from the forest service.  It also turns out he was using the money to buy methamphetamine and other drugs.  They tried to interview him, but he wasn't in a talking mood.  I guess the surprise is on him this time since he mentioned to the guards that he wouldn't get more than 4 months.

Tillaway

That should get his attention. ;D 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

gyppo_forester

I wrote a paper on timber theft for a boundary surveying course when I was back at Mizzou. Most of the laws are really old. In the Ozarks we called it "grandma-ing" (...honest, I thought that was my grandma's 40, I'd never cut someone else's timber on purpose...). Enforcement of timber theft is so difficult. If the logs are already milled you can't match a butt cut to the stump. Short of catching the thief in the act, much theft goes unpunished. In Missouri the thieves went after white oak stave bolts. Just like the cedar rats in the Northwest, a pickup and a chainsaw are all you need.

I can vouch for DKinWA. I've worked with him on some projects and would sure be sorry to see him move on to something else. It can be difficult to find an experienced professional biologist with some common sense. On the other hand, I'd love to have another contractor out there who could put in big culverts properly. More power to you DK.

Terry

Ron Scott

Man Faces Charges in Theft of Timber

Hattiesburg American (Mississippi, 4/27) - A six-month joint investigation by the state's Department of Agriculture and Commerce, and the Mississippi Forestry Commission resulted in the arrest of Harold E. Simmons on three counts of timber theft. Simmons had been contracted to harvest timber from 16th Section land, which is set aside to help fund school districts. He is accused of under-reporting that harvest and pocketing about $375,000 from the stolen timber.

The E-Forester

~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a large gap in posts on this thread, might be some sort of a record.

Ron, I'm glad that guy was caught.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!