iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used l-15

Started by mad dog, March 12, 2008, 09:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad dog

I am looking at a 2003 Woodmizer L-15,it has 30 blades,some new,its been sitting outside all winter not covered up(not even the engine) Should I buy it or keep looking? what is it worth? Can 1 person transport it? thanks,mad dog
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

raycon

My first wood-mizer was an LT-20 that sat outside for 10 years uncovered.
Probably had less than 200 hours on it. Ran fine once the carb was cleaned. Mill a few logs on the mill. If the mill can't be demoed discount the price.
For better or worse I leave stuff out all the time  rototiller,tractors, the mills,edger,skid steer,wood chipper,log splitter.  I suspect the mill is fine. Check the fluids and for critters (mice) if its never been used.
Lot of stuff..

ljmathias

Sitting out is a bad thing generally but not a deal breaker often.  I just sold the LT30 that I had for a few years- bought it from a guy in Maryland that had left it out for decades (literally).  Had to clean out everything to get it to run: gas tank, float, lines and air filter.  Then had to grease it real good to get it to move, sometimes after a little sand paper to take the rust off.  Mill was in real bad shape and over the few hears I had it, had to replace both sets of band bearings and work on electronics some.  BUT, and this is a big BUT: I was able to keep it running with routine and preventative maintenance and cut a fair amount of lumber.  Amazing what a well made saw will do even when abused by complete neglect.

Other side of the coin is that there may be bad damage to the electronics and electrical wires- mice, sun-rot and photo-oxidation, and general corrosion all play havoc with the more delicate parts.  You might get it running for a few minutes, get it home and find you have to do major re-work to keep it running smoothly.

Price will be the decider, I would guess: how much you pay up front plus how much to bring it up to snuff.  Some things you can see, some not: the bearings are hard to diagnose (at least for me) so you may not be able to tell much about them by looking and wiggling the band wheels.

Life is always chance: never take a chance and life is pretty boring.  Good luck!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Bibbyman

I think Wood-Mizer has a buy/sale price formula that may help you price the mill.  From that you can add or subtract to come up with some kind of SWAG price.

Maybe Marty or Sparks can help you.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

mad dog

Thanks guys,I guess I have to decide on that one or the jobber J-200 mill ,which would be a lot easier to move around,plus it has a honda engine on it!

thecfarm

Have you checked out Thomas Bandsawmill in Brooks Maine? They have a small one for a little under $4000.

http://www.thomasbandsawmills.com/

I have one of the bigger ones and really like it.It's all manual mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyParsons

2003 LT15 G15 $4300 - 5000. Retail
If the engine will run, you should be ok. Use common sense when purchasing. Any extra bed sections? The bed sections new are $ 625.00 each.
These mills hold their value. They weigh 1000 lbs. two people can load the mill easily on the back of a truck or trailer. A little bit of engineering and you could load it alone, Winch, rollers, etc.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

mad dog

Going to lok at the mill tomorrow,We finally got the snow around it removed,so he can demo it! 8)

zopi

iffit cuts it can be tuned up...sitting out is really only going to affect the engine and maybe the guides and set works...pb blaster or wd-40 takes care of alot of that schtuff...

I have developed the habit of washing my mill every couple weeks and hitting all the moving parts with a little corrosion preventative or oil...

the LT-15 is super easy to maintian and run...little tuff moving bigger logs around..

Those 30 bands are worth around 600 bucks new...if they are relatively new you can expect
6 or 7 sharlenings out of them...

like Marty says..the extras are worth something too...cant hooks, bed extensions etc..

unless you are just cutting hobby wood or furniture grade shorts, you will want at least one more
bed section..16' lumber is a staple. 20' is a bonus...but it is ALOT of work handling a 20' log without some
equipment...

as I usually crow in these threads, I LOVE my LT-15...the only thing that would make it better is if it
were and LT-40HDD51 with all the trimmings. LOL
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

zopi, I'll let you know how an LT40HDD51 with all the trimmings, including twin blade edger and wireless remote runs, it's being delivered on the 7th, and I've been invited. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

SWEET!   I don't dare go near one...it'd spoil me on contact...i've been too busy to saw...did one measly little
log this week..gonna do some fun stuff coming up though...start sawing timbers for my saw shed.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

MartyParsons

WD 40 and other penetrants are good to get things moving and cleaned up. Dextron III should be used to lube the mill after you get everything working.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

beenthere

Quote from: MartyParsons on March 31, 2008, 07:27:45 AM
WD 40 and other penetrants are good to get things moving and cleaned up. Dextron III should be used to lube the mill after you get everything working.
M
Rust Reaper....Rust Reaper.......Rust Reaper....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad dog

I bought the Mill today :) :) :) Can't wait for snow to go so I can start sawing :) thanks for the suggestions

IL Bull

Mad Dog,  can you give us an aproximate on what you paid? ???  We are dieing to know.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

mad dog

Quote from: IL Bull on March 31, 2008, 05:02:10 PM
Mad Dog,  can you give us an aproximate on what you paid? ???  We are dieing to know.
[/quote                                                                                                                                                  $5000

zopi

Sweet! Congratz!

pics?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

And the dust bites another one. Congrats on your new addiction.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Now you can start sawing.Have fun.Can you get away from it to come to WM open house?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad dog

I hope to go to the open house,There is 3 feet of snow around the mill,also there is about  10000 of logs   to saw my first job!  what is the best option to buy I have an extra bed section                                                                                                                                       

mad dog

I got to look at the blades today some are really rusty,what should I do with them?

rbarshaw

Quote from: mad dog on April 04, 2008, 07:03:36 PM
                                                                                                                                                   I got to look at the blades today some are really rusty,what should I do with them?
Saw some wood with them, it's always cleaned them up for me, unless the rust has eaten thru the blade, that is.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

mad dog

Got to do some maintenance on my new to me mill today ,changed oil and filter cleaned rust off rails and lubed,adjested vertical chains,suprised its only a single cyl. Cant wait for snow to go so I can saw!! 8)

gus1957

Raycon,

Did your LT-20 have the steel or Aluminum track?

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!