iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to purchase a new belt sander but which one?

Started by Part_Timer, March 11, 2008, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I need a new belt sander but which one?  What do you like and what do you dislike?  I have a skill 3x but it won't track worth a hoot and the switch broke in the first 3 months. 

Is there that much diff. between a 3" and a 4"?

I'm looking in the $200 or less. would rather less :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Burlkraft

I have a 3" Dewalt that's let's say is......not exactly what I was looking for.  ::) ::)

I was looking for a 3" that was built and works like my Milwaukee 4". I got the Milwaukee new in 1979, in a trade for a 1950 Chevy pickup , and it's still goin' strong. Every one of the new sanders I see are not built very well. I have not looked at Festool yet, but that's prolly a good un', but prolly $800.00 tho.....

If ya happen to run across one that looks like it might last a year or two, let me know.... ;) ;) ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ScottAR

I've got a few years old dewalt and it's ok.  Done what I've asked of it but feels
somewhat cheap.  The dust bag is not very effective at least for what I
use it for most often which is scribing counters.  At least it hasn't burnt
up yet like the last one. 

I used a porter cable when I took high school shop.  Seemed durable if a
bit heavy.  At least it was more metal than plastic.  Milwaukee probably still
makes a good one.  Bosch did... They still may.  I'm sure festool does too.
I'm too cheap to find out.  :-\
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

getoverit

Tom I bought one from Harbor freight. I dont use it that much for guitars, but for the few tables I have made it works as I wanted it to. I think I gave $30 for it. Not sure how it would hold up under long sanding jobs, but for occasional use it is well worth the money. It tracks well.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

breederman

I have a 3 Inch Makita that I bought a year ago that is working well. I think it was a factory refurb from cpomakita.com    I see they have a 4x24 for $209 and a few 3 inchers listed today.
Together we got this !

wudhed

I have a Porter Cable model 362 that we use here in the timber frame shop and trust me it gets USED!! It has lasted probably 5 years or better with no more than normal maintenence. I would reccomend it to anybody! I looked on toolbarn.com and its a little more than 200 bucks but worth every penny!

Wudhed
Proudly building quality timberframes since 1981!

blaze83

I use the Ridgid brand from home depot, used it when i worked for the cabinet shop in Seattle to sand in the scribes on all our countertops and underlayment. liked it well enough that I bought my own. can't remeber what I paid for it :(

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

beenthere

Two years ago I bought the DeWalt DW433k2 belt (3" x 21") and used it on a project, but sent it back after a short while. It just wouldn't stay unplugged with sanding dust. Wasn't of the calibre of other DeWalt tools I've owned.

I could sand faster with a random orbital Porter Cable.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

PORTER CABLE all the way. PERIOD. I've been at for 20 years never found one better. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

TexasTimbers

Depends on what you are going to ask it to do.

I would try not to get stuck on brands as much as checking out what it can and can't do (featires) and user reviews too.

I have two PC's and love both of them, and Hitachi I like too, and two Bosch which IMO can't be matched in performance especially the 4" x 24" one.

A couple of them can sand all the way into corners - that's something you need to consider. Also you want to make sure the belt tracking isn't too fussy and that's sometihng that a quick read of user reviews over at amazom.com can tell you once you narrow down your choices.

most of the major brands make excellent products but every now and then even Bosch or Makita or PC can put out a lemon of a product so you want to read some reviews IMO to avoid those "2 star" tools that slip through the cracks of the R7D departments of the various manufacturers. Stuff happens you know.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tcsmpsi

Last year, I replaced my old Skil 3" (before plastics) with a new Makita.  It's been swell so far, and I haven't any indicators that it will not continue being so.

I don't remember the number offhand and it's not here so I can look.  I wanted a heavy one and it is that.  That much I can remember.  ;D

I believe I got it from toolsforless.com for the best deal. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Part_Timer

Thanks, I'm going shopping this weekend.  I want it for sanding on some of these slabs that are in the garage, I would like to make a slab dinning room table this summer.

I was leaning to the PC or Mikata.  Looks like I'm on the right track.

Peterson 8" ATS.

woodmills1

I also have a porter cable 362 and it has taken a pounding.  The brushes are getting a little noisy after 6 years.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Get the 4 x 24, especially as a "beginner", the wider one will help you keep it more level. It takes years to get the hang of not gouging the material as they can take off tons of material FAST, REALLY FAST. Use full strokes and finesse it the machine don't force it, it has plenty of power and grit to get the work done. It really is tough to "get it" right, right off the bat. Focus on a light touch going end to end fully.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

clif

I have a Bosch  that has been used quite a bit over the past maybe ten years ( it has made in the USA stamped on it ) and it does a great job.  It is a 4"  which I would recommend and yes, there is a bit of a learning curve; just inspect your work quite often and don't get carried away sanding and not looking at what the results are.  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Dan_Shade

I second the 4x24 motion...

the 3" wide ones will just screw up what your trying to sand :)

I have a 4x24 porter cable, had it about 10 years or so, it's been a good one.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

One more thing, I go 40 -60 grit, criss crossing diagonally creating an X pattern. Go one way the whole length and width then 90 degrees to that creating the X. Then I chase that with a random orbit w/ 80 grit, this way you can see the sand marks left by the belt and ensure you get them all out. Then finsh out at 150 grit, no need to sand above 150, trust me thousands of board feet sanded, no need to go further you just end up burnishing the surface.

Ironwood

isawlogs

I have three Makita's , two 3x24 and one 3x18 , these are good , affordable sanders , I have a 3x18 Skill wich is a sad thing to call a belt sander , I have a 3x24 Craftsman , so so  ::) and last is the 3x18 Back and Decker .... wich is a notch above the Skill but not very far ahead of it .

The 3x24 Makita will allow you to put a 4" paper on it , as the bottom plate is four inches wide , this I have done many times to flatten some 3" errors  ::)  I usually run one of the 3x24 with 4" on it .

The Makita also has a graffit pad on the plate on wwich the back of the sanding belt rides on, I have not worn through a sanding belt with these , I have with some other models with out the pad .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tcsmpsi

The only reason I do not have more experience with Makita belt sanders, is because the old sanders I've had have worked fine.  But decades eventually take their toll, even on the finest of power tools.

I've bought and run Makita tools in commercial applications, some of which I have kept for personal use.   I've some Makita tools that have been in use for over 20 yrs.  In the building/remodeling/cabinet business, tools get used.  Sometimes rather uniquely, and sometimes rather mercilessly.   And with hired hands using them...well, that's always a tenative endeavor.   ;D

The Makita's I've run have never disappointed me or let me down.  My first Makita 71/4" circular saw was a little disappointing because it didn't last forever.   :D

Now, don't get me wrong.  I have a Porter Cable router that is about 50 yrs old, and it still does a fine job.

Now, I like the 3", because, to me, it is more overall controllable.   A good, powerful, heavy sander and proper movement/control of it is a key to its use.  The feel of the process is just something you have to gain personally.

I like a good, heavy wood rasp to work high spots before sanding (actually, for many years, I have used big, hoof rasps).

For doing slabs, that set up I've seen here a couple times with the router set up on a frame above it, is what I'll set up  to initially work slabs.

I'm certain that most are good, useable belt sanders.   

Just relating a little of my personal experience. What little of it I have. 

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

scgargoyle

I bought my Makita 3X24 about 30 years ago- still going strong. It will take a 4" belt also. Longest cord I've ever seen on a power tool!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Part_Timer

Thanks, I'm going to the box store in the morning time permitting.  I'm also going to look at tool king before the night is over.

Ironwood, Thanks fo the advice, If anyone knows about how to finesse a slab you would be the man.

Tcsmpsi  I had another thought instead of the router set up.  I figured I'd set the slab up on sawhorses under my ATS.  Since the Microkerf has 12 teeth it makes a very fine cut.  It should be just the ticket to flatten slabs in a hurry.  I just need to make sure everythign is level before I start. 

Thanks to everyone else also, this is the only place I know where you can get enough good advice to make you more confused than when you started :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

tcsmpsi

Well, you got one of them there tools, Tom.  That sounds pretty good to me.

I have found that toosforless.com generally has better prices than tool king.  Maybe it's just the stuff I look for. 

Ironwood

Parttimer,

Sorry I didn't look at the price you specified (one of my major issues ;D) but I would get too caught up on the extra money, it can put you into a tool that will last you a lifetime literally.

Ironwood

Part_Timer

Didn't make it to town this wekend.  With the price of fuel we are waiting to make each trip count
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!