iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Full Scribe Log- Traditional Construction

Started by Max sawdust, March 11, 2008, 08:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Hey all,
I have been asked to post some pics of the house I am helping out on.  Structure is full scribe, each log goes up on the wall 3 times.  First time for a rough scribe on the notches, then back up for scribe on the lateral, then back up to stay.  Building is approximatly 32x42.  Logs are Red Pine.  We just set the ridge log and log purlins.  Structure will have log rafters too.  Here are a few pics from earlier this winter

Me the log peeler.. (I am 6' and draw knife is 24" wide.. big log :o)

Here is a pic of a full scribe corner..

Here is a pic of the gin pole in action.  We used the gin pole for the walls, and pulled it out with the crane, which we used to set the ridge and purlins.

Will post more pics later..
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thehardway

Is that a traditional crane you pulled the gin pole out with?  :D  Just ribbin' ya.  Nice work and look forward to more pics
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

woodbowl

Looking good Max.  8)  Gonna be watching you all the way.

What kind of roof system are you going to have? Do you plan to incorporate log trusses?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Stephen1

Looking good , how long has the building been going up?  I would like to see a few close ups of the gin pole. how it was built? keep the pictures coming.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Max sawdust

Thehardway,,, ;) ya ya it was a sad day when the gin pole came down.  Stinky noisy crane interrupts the sound of sharp vintage iron shaving wood.  (and of course the sweet sound of chain saws.. :D)

Woodbowl, a Michigan roof, ridge pole and trusses with log rafters.  We have two decorative "log trusses" going into the purl ins.  They offer some lateral support over a longish span. 

Shephen1, Started in December lost 3 weeks to weather.  I will see what I can come up with on close ups, but the gin pole is down now.  Real simple, support under floor, greased cup to hold base of pole, rig chained to pole to hold boom, and greased cup at top tied off to 4 trees to hold it up, electric motors for boom and log up and down action.
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Loghead

Max looks like very nice work! what will the structure be used for?
And we love more pictures.
At the end of april the Great Lakes Log Crafters will be doing a 16x24 with porch in Two Harbors MN.(for auction)
I can smell the wood and the sound of the saws singing.  8) 8)  I can't wait!!  ;D
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

Max sawdust

It is a house.
Thanks for the compliments.. Will post more pics when I get time to take them..
max
True Timbers

TW

I am curious about how the gin pole was rigged.

To be it looks more like a derrick????!

Good job.

Max sawdust

TW not sure of correct terminology, you may be correct ;D
Thanks
max
True Timbers

Dave Shepard

That looks really good. :) I might have to try and build something with my red pines!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Max sawdust

Dave,
Ya'd need some woppers ;)
Here is the ridge flying in.  About 50' long and about 16-18" at the top

max
True Timbers

Dave Shepard

Our RP isn't that big. There were some on the outsid that were 18-24", but they were logged in the early 90's. The funny thing is the trees in the middle that are only 6" were planted at the same time.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Max sawdust

Dave,
I will take some pictures of the log rafters we are starting to scribe and set.  Same thing!  :o  Old as the hills and 6" diameter same age as the big logs on the walls from the same cut!

Those small Red Pines can make the very best rafters.   8)
max
True Timbers

Dave Shepard

I tried to sell some to a log home company, they DanG near wanted me to pay them to take them. I'll let'em rot first. ;)

Dave

Max sawdust

Pictures of starting on rafters.  They were all laid on the roof before the crane left.   Working them off scaffolding.

Baby Dolmar Arborist saw at work ;D

Shot of ridge and purlins
True Timbers

woodbowl

How do you plan to provide the flat for the top? Are they upside down now? Will each one be notched down to level?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sbishop

I was going to ask the same question as woodbowl!

Sbishop

Max sawdust

Correct they are upside down.  Flats are down in these pictures.  Once the notch is cut the flat is flipped back up.  In the top pic you will see the rafter to left of of the one I am sawing is set with the flat up.  Know that they are all cut and notched you look down the roof and it is PERFECTY flat, something you can not achieve with dimensional lumber or prefab trusses ;D

Max
True Timbers

woodbowl

OK Max, I fergit and I was supposed to have learned this in the log building course I took 20 years ago. I see a string along the top. When you scribe to set the rafter, do you measure to the flat, off the string(s)? What are the details, and how do you go about this? Thanks

Max sawdust

The flat of each rafter is lifted up to the string via wedges, then scribed.  String height and scribe setting stay the same for all the rafters on both sides of the building.
max
True Timbers

woodbowl

I'm picturing a little balancing act with the rafter as the wedges fine tune the flat to the string. Does the rafter have a tendancy to slide down hill? What do the wedges look like?

I'm guessing there are around 40 plus rafters X 3 notches each. How many notches can you scribe and saw out a day?

Max sawdust

Yes a balancing act.  You can see in the first pic below the come along used to hold and position the rafter.  The wedges are just pie shaped pieces of plywood.  We did make up a device with long timber lock screws to raise and lower to the line which helped with the balancing act.  Each team of two was doing about 5 rafters per day. Took about a week.

True Timbers

woodbowl

How's that roof comming along Max? Are the deck boards going up yet? What type of deck do you plan to use?

LOGDOG

Bump .... :) Don't leave us hangin' Max. ;D

LOGDOG

Max sawdust

Sorry guys
Once we got done with the snow blocking and scribe work the guy with the camera was done, and the job turned over to rush rush plumb and square carpentry.. :-[
I will get some pics of the finished house ;)
max
True Timbers

Thank You Sponsors!