iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popcorn

Started by Dave Shepard, March 09, 2008, 11:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

I have taken a couple tablespoons of water and put in a bag of popcorn that had dried to much to pop right.  Shook the bag and let it set for a few days.  I have done this quite a few times and always had good results.  Most times bag doesn't last long enought to get old though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don K

Based on the fine reviews here on the Whirley-pop, I ordered one last week as well as some Amish popcorn. Baby White and Midnight Blue. My wife informed me today that only Gourmet popcorn will be eaten in the Knight household, small kernal at that. That popper is fantastic. The aroma that starts as the first kernals pop reminds me of my childhood and Mama sliding that pot on the stove eye. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

olyman

i grew popcorn 1 year--came out great. but, for what i can buy a 50 lb bag at sams for----to me it aint worth it--and its good popcorn. yellow hulless

johnjbc

This years Popcorn crop is up and looking good. This year I didn't use my wheeled planter. Popcorn is a little small for the seed corn plate and it was dropping 2 seed at once so I thought I would use my pool stick planter. Hopefully I will get a little bigger ears this year.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Dave Shepard

Got a Whirly Pop for Christmas. 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

splitter

I worked with a guy once that worked at the movies in his younger days, he said that what made movie popcorn so good was that they popped it in coconut oil. Any one know anything about this? Splitter

woodsteach

Quote from: splitter on December 28, 2009, 08:46:16 PM
I worked with a guy once that worked at the movies in his younger days, he said that what made movie popcorn so good was that they popped it in coconut oil. Any one know anything about this? Splitter
I can't verify that for certain, but.. due to recent health claims we have started cooking in coconut oil (which looks similar to lard in the jar) and the kids and I like our popcorn cooked on the stove top with the c. oil.  I use an old pressure cooker (w/o the stopper).

By the way I and kid #2 like just a sprinkling of organic apple cider vinegar over the top of our popcorn.  Kid #1 &3 like either butter melted over the top or if we happen to be out of butter they like the coconut oil over the top as well.

Everybody likes it with Redmonds Sea Salt as the final topper!!

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

splitter

Woodsteach, where do you get coconut oil? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks Splitter

woodsteach

I've found some local but before that I was going to order from here:  http://www.soaperschoice.com/

It was the best prices that I was able to find. 

Woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

pappy19

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 25, 2008, 10:07:22 PM
Got a Whirly Pop for Christmas. 8) 8)

Oh man, you're in trouble now. You better have ALOT of popcorn around cause once you pop with a Whirleypop, especially with ladyfinger baby white, you'll never try anything else.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

habaneroeater

like breederman said i have a Cuisenart and  its latest and best popper I ever had. who eva lol buys a Cuisenart will say the same. i have had air poppers you tend to put more butter on  air popped and swampdonkey can not afford to much butter up in canada. lol j/k swampdonkey.
i have popped on stovetop but you have to watch it a lot more. far as oil to pop canola oil help those canadian farmers. but peanut works just as well they both have a high smoking point. dressing well 1/3 any oil from olive to peanut with 2/3 real butter works well..( mixing reduces cholesterol).. and any thing like lime zest in the butter with some chile flakes. salt little pepper   the packets from your mac n cheese box is good. depends on how I feel

Raider Bill

I like it popped in Bacon grease.............  I know but it's dang Good!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bruce_A

I noticed some friends using tabasco after they pop it.  I am not a popcorn fan, so can,t say.  This is however a beer drinking crowd.

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm just an old stick- in -the -mud,  but I get along fine with microwave popcorn.  Course I eat quick grits too :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!