iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popcorn

Started by Dave Shepard, March 09, 2008, 11:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am looking for a new approach to cooking popcorn. I used to cook it for years in a big pot on the stove, add enough oil to cover and be patient, and it would cook down to the last couple of kernels. For the last few years, I have been able to cook it worth a DanG. :( Tonight, it was even worse, the pot is still outside smoking. :-\ :-X What does everyone else use to make popcorn, and what do you put on it? I usually only put a little bit of salt, and maybe a dusting of parmesan cheese. I used to just get microwave, but there's less chemicals in homemade, and it's a bunch cheeper. (although I haven't managed to set the microwave on fire, yet)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DKinWA

We use a "back to basics popcorn popper" that works very well.  A tablespoon or two of oil is all it takes for a batch of popcorn.  I googled it and came up with this walmart link.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3925325

breederman

I eat a lot of pop corn :) Our latest and best popper ever is a Cuisenart. It three pieces, the bottom is the heat, the middle is the cooker, it is heavy and has a wire doo hikky in it to keep things stired up. Just put in a splash of oil, the corn,put on the top and turn it on.  It is fast and pops every kernal. when it is done you just snap off the cooker with the lid and turn it over an WALA the lid is the bowl.season with salt and or cheese and pour a glass of milk. :)
Together we got this !

pappy19

I am probably the biggest popcorn freak anywhere and I have become a giant Whirlypop fan. You can find them on ebay and probably retail locations. I also have settled on baby white popcorn from Lehmans or you can get that on ebay as well. If you ever try a Whirlypop, you will never go back to anything else. Fast, good and easy to clean. Just wipe it out. None better IMHO.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Nate Surveyor

Hot air popper. Make about 4 gallons of popcorn.

Mix 1/2 cup olive oil, cajun spice, onion powder, Garlic powder, and some Yellow flake food yeast.

The kids love it, and my dad comes up just to eat all the popcorn!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Engineer

All my life I had an electric stove, and that meant stovetop popcorn was hit-and-miss for me.  I've used everything: air poppers, Presto electric oil poppers, Jiffy Pop in the foil pan, all kinds of microwave gadgets and pre-bagged microwave popcorn, fireplace poppers, you name it, I've tried it.  Now I have a gas stove and I've gone back to what tastes best to me - I take a large pot, about 12 quarts, put in corn oil and wait until it is hot and just starting to smoke a touch.  Add the kernels (about 1/2 cup), cover it and shake it around every 20 seconds or so.  Make sure you stop when pops are about five seconds apart, and it will continue to pop after you take it off the heat.    I have not yet had it burn on me as long as you turn the stove off early.   It is the best, I add a little extra butter and salt to mine.  We eat popcorn 2-3 nights a week that way.   food1

The other option, if you want some "healthier" popcorn, is to take about 1/4 cup of plain kernels, put them in a small 'lunch' sized paper bag, fold the top over a couple times and put ONE staple through the fold to keep it closed.  Apparently one staple isn't enough metal to foul up a nuker.  Use your popcorn setting on the microwave and let 'er rip.  You will get excellent popcorn at a fraction of the cost of Pop Secret Death-In-A-Bag.

Patty

We make ours on top of the stove like Engineer does, only I use butter flavored popcorn oil instead of vegetable oil, then I add melted butter & salt. Sugar is good also.  Most important thing is to get it off the stove before it stops popping, or it will burn for sure.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Engineer on March 10, 2008, 02:44:45 PM

Apparently one staple isn't enough metal to foul up a nuker.  Use your popcorn setting on the microwave and let 'er rip.  You will get excellent popcorn at a fraction of the cost of Pop Secret Death-In-A-Bag.

One staple may not bother it, but one piece of Riesen candy will give you a fireworks show you won't forget, don't know why.

I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn, but wasn't so sure about it after all the factory workers started getting lung cancer. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ohsoloco

We always used a hot air popper when I was little, and I just bought one for Denise last year for a gift.  It pops perfect popcorn, and you can add any kind of oil, butter, or flavorings you want...or none at all if you want it to taste like packing peanuts  :D 

My favorite is the half-popped kernels, or the ones that just barely broke open  :)

Dave Shepard

So you've tried packing peanuts? :D I had a granola bar the other night that was so bad I felt bad for feeding oats to a horse once. 

I like just a bit of salt, and sometimes butter, if I'm looking to make a big mess.

Dave

Corley5

We had an air popper when I was a kid.  Compared to other popcorn it seemed tuff/chewy but with enough melted butter that didn't matter  8) 8)  Maybe newer ones do better  ???  I've got an old electric popper with a crank on top that makes really good popcorn but the stuff  at the movie theater is still my favorite  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

We didn't have all of those special ways when I was growing up, so, I just got used to a pan with a lid and some oil and corn kernals.   Keep'm moving and don't try to pop the very last one.   Salt and butter makes'm better.

I asked Texas Ranger how they did it when he was little and he said that they didn't have popcorn way back then. :D

fstedy

8) 8) 8) I agree with  DKimWA and pappy19.  Whirlypop is the greatest.  Its fast and easy to use and all but a very few kernels pop. Add 1TBS oil and 1TBS butter let it get hot add the popcorn,  flame full and you'll get a great treat. The crank stirrer built into the pot works great at stirring the kernels and  must cause them to pop. Takes about 2 minutes start to finish.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

DKinWA

I've never tried putting the butter in the pan before popping the corn.  I always put the butter in a microwave safe cup and nuke it till melted and pour it on the popped corn.  I'll have to give it a try since it's one less cup to wash :D

isawlogs

Not being a Popcorn connaisseur , is there a special kind of corn that makes " popcorn " or will any corn kernel pop ???   :P 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

Popcorn is its own variety of corn. I've never tried to pop sweet corn or cow corn before.

Dave

johnjbc

I use a Hot Air Popper and a lot more Butter than is good for me ::). We always did it in a pan until we saw the Hot Air Popper at a garage sale for $3.
It real easy to use, the lid is a measure of how much to use. Just dump a lid full in, put a bowl under the spout, and plug it in.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5969519

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Bro. Noble

If you try to pop field corn,  you will end up with "parched' corn.  I've heard that this was a staple of the native Americans.  Grandma used to make this when she ran out of popcorn.  You just put a little oil in a skillit and heat it like you would popcorn.  It doesn't pop,  but swells up and becomes crunchy...  The Hickory King variety works the best (it's the kind that makes the best hominy too).  The end product is kinda like 'corn nuts' that you can buy. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Cedarman

I use a Monon popper.  It is an aluminum pot probably 6 or 8 quarts.  Put about 2 tablespoons of Orville Redenbacker popcorn oil in, put in enough popcorn to cover the bottom and put on high gas burner.  I have a big bowl ready and waiting.  The Monon popper has a stirrer and I stir and shake as the oil heats.  When the popping is right at done, I take the popper off the stove and immediately pour into the bowl.  The thin bottom of the popper cools quickly enough after taking off the fire so that the popcorn cannot burn. 

While the popcorn is popping I have a little pan heating butter.  I like the slightly scorched taste of butter that has gotten just a little too hot.  Timed right the butter is melted and frothy and ready to pour over the popcorn.  I pour 1/2 the butter on the corn and shake some salt.  I then kind of shake the bowl with a motion that causes the popcorn to turn bottoms up.  This is an art.  Then pour over the rest of the butter and shake a little more salt.  Shake bowl to stir popcorn to get butter all moved around and then start eating. 

This whole thing takes about 4 minutes from the time I think about eating popcorn until I am eating popcorn.

If you make popcorn 3 or 4 times per week, I  just wipe out popper with paper towel.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pappy19

If you like Orville's popcorn, when you have the "baby white" or "lady finger", you'll just think you like Orville's.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Patty

Pappy, do you grow your own popcorn? I was thinking about planting some this year. Iowa seems to be a good place to grow corn.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

pappy19

No, I bought my first bag of baby white from Lehmans in Ohio. Since then I have bought both baby white and lady finger off ebay and Lehmans if they have it. They run out, so I usually buy at least 6 lbs at a time. My grandkids are eating me out of house and popcorn.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

pappy19

No, I bought my first bag of baby white from Lehmans in Ohio. Since then I have bought both baby white and lady finger off ebay and Lehmans if they have it. They run out, so I usually buy at least 6 lbs at a time. My grandkids are eating me out of house and popcorn. I also nuke the butter and pour it on after poping. With the WhirleyPop, you just dump in the butter or carmal and give it another whirl and then dump in a bowl.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Engineer

I don't have the luxury of getting specialty popcorn - I hafta buy it from these Boy Scouts that infest live in my house.   Anybody wanna buy popcorn at eight bucks a pound?   :(

Corley5

I took the advice on the Whirlypop and got one.  I haven't tried it with anything other than the theater style corn and oil packets that came with it but it turns out pretty DanG good  8) 8)  Anybody ever use olive oil to pop corn ??? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DKinWA

We use olive oil all the time and it works fine.

pappy19

Canola is what I use. Crisco solid is the best.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Dave Shepard

How long will popcorn keep? I tried to cook some again this evening, but no luck, burned it up again. I used to be able to cook all but about ten kernels. I tried heating the oil up first and dumping the corn in, that worked good for the first few kernels, I think they were the only good ones. I am going to try ordering some from Lehmans, what do you like best pappy19?

Dave

Tom

From what I understand, it's the steam from the water inside of the kernal that causes it to pop.  If the kernal dries out then there's no pop.

Dave Shepard

Maybe I should put them in a sauna? Or I could just spring for some new popcorn, of course with the price of everything today, a sauna might be cheaper.

Dave

Tom

i have a plastic container with some old popcorn in it. I've been thinking of putting an apple in there to see if the corn would take up some lost water.

beenthere

Dave
Back in the day, when popcorn was a regular Sunday night treat (before microwave popcorn and 4 kids), we used to store the popcorn in the refrigerator (higher humidity) and often sliced an apple and placed it in the bag. I think this was to keep the popcorn from drying out too much.
Might have something to do with building up the steam pressure inside the kernel, and it popping when that pressure was released.

Many years ago, we either grew the popcorn, or stopped at a farmer who grew it. Then we had to shell it off the cob before popping. The kernels were sharp and it would make your hands pretty raw if shelling much of it. Keeping it from getting too dry was something Dad and Mom would work at..good memories.

And I typed slow, but like Tom said... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

And.........   I thought I had invented that.  :D :D :D

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the input. At least I didn't leave any black popcorn shapes in the bottom of my mothers Revereware this time. :o ;D

Dave

Dave Shepard

Got some fresh corn and some small paper bags. Popped it in the microwave with good results. I only lightly salt the popcorn, so I may go back to the pan and oil method, the nuker makes it very dry. ;)

Dave

Ernie

When I was a kid, we used to do a lot of family camping.  Dad had a wire mesh basket with a sliding mesh lid and a long handle that we use for popping the corn on the campfire.  Just hold it above the flames, in the smoke and shake back and forth.  It didn't even need salt, the smokey taste was great.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Patty

Dave it does sound like your popcorn was old and therefore not popping. I have burned alot of batches, just because the kernels were too old to pop.

I try to get fresh popcorn every week or so. I buy Orville Reddenbacker's (sp?)  white kernel corn. Not that it is any better, it just seems to be fresher than the Jiffy or other brands, and pops better.

I am going to try to grow our own this summer. Problem is I need to isolate it from the sweet corn & the field corn we grow, and I am not sure how feasible that is. My yard is only a couple acres, does anyone know how far away the popcorn needs to be from the other corns?
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Bro. Noble

Patty,  I don't think cross pollination would cause any problem unless you planned on saving your own seed.  If you bought hybryd seed,  you wouldn't want to save your own anyway.  My brother is a corn breeder and is due to visit this week.  I'll try to remember to ask him for sure.

Patty

Thanks for checking Noble, I appreciate it.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

johnjbc

Patty
I hope you have better luck than I did. I planted it last year and it produced.
The problem was it wouldn't pop. Just a few kernels. Must be you need to pick it at just the right time ::) :P

Patty

I really have no idea, John, I have never tried planting it. They grow alot of popcorn in Iowa, up near Sioux City, so I know we have the right climate and soil. It should be fun to give it a shot this summer.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Dave Shepard

How many day corn is popcorn, I'm guessing pretty long. Would be cool to have some home grown at the pig roast. Might have to get Farmerdoug to grow some in his green house. :D

Dave

pappy19

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 30, 2008, 10:16:14 PM
How long will popcorn keep? I tried to cook some again this evening, but no luck, burned it up again. I used to be able to cook all but about ten kernels. I tried heating the oil up first and dumping the corn in, that worked good for the first few kernels, I think they were the only good ones. I am going to try ordering some from Lehmans, what do you like best pappy19?

Dave

I like the baby white and lady finger. I do have some regular size corn and use it for caramel popcorn once in a while. Once you try the smaller versions of popcorn from Amish country, you won't be satisfied with any other popcorn, including Orville's.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Bro. Noble

Patty,

Brother said the other kinds of corn wouldn't effect the popping ability of your popcorn.  If you want to save your own seed,  the popcorn should be separated by distance or time.  He said seedcorn producers usually consider 330  ft safe,  but use 660' for developing new hybrids (he got too technical for me real fast).  He said the thought that most popcorn flowers enough earlier than field corn that you would be separated enough by time.

He also said that popcorn must be dried much more carefully than fieldcorn if it is to pop well.  That is out of his field,  but he thought it had to be dried slower and not overdried.

Patty

Thanks  Noble I appreciate the advice. I have a feeling it is all in how you process & dry the corn after the harvest that makes it a good popping corn. Should be a fun experiment anyway. Time to break out the books and do some studying on popcorn.  :P
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

johnjbc

Well I still have some seed so I will try again. Last year I used the planter and the seed plate was to big.  This year I will plant by hand and see if I can get bigger ears and knurls.  ??? ??? Plan to put the garden in May 1

Dave Shepard

I popped up a batch on the stove a couple of minutes ago. Took awhile to get popping, but once it did, it lifted the lid clean off the pot. (Note to self: use less popcorn) Tried popping in the nuker, but it would pop all of it no matter how long I put it in there. smiley_headscratch

I made an interesting discovery about our popcorn bowl, which is probably about 35 years old, anyone want to take a guess? I'll give you a hint: it was made to the north-west of Deutschland. ;D

Dave

Patty

Well I have no clue about your popcorn bowl, but I did find some information about growing the popcorn.

Here is the link to the site:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2000/7-21-2000/popcorn.html
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Timburr

Dave, does your popcorn bowl have a "Made in Wales" label?  :D :D

Our 'popcorn culture' is small here and what I've seen comes in sealed bags.   I presume that that's to keep it at a certain humidity!?
Sense is not common

Dave Shepard

Made in Sweden ;)  I was trying to throw people off the trail with the previous hint, but may have gotten the relationship of Germany to Sweden wrong. There is a forestry link, however.

Dave

Cedarman

I have taken a couple tablespoons of water and put in a bag of popcorn that had dried to much to pop right.  Shook the bag and let it set for a few days.  I have done this quite a few times and always had good results.  Most times bag doesn't last long enought to get old though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don K

Based on the fine reviews here on the Whirley-pop, I ordered one last week as well as some Amish popcorn. Baby White and Midnight Blue. My wife informed me today that only Gourmet popcorn will be eaten in the Knight household, small kernal at that. That popper is fantastic. The aroma that starts as the first kernals pop reminds me of my childhood and Mama sliding that pot on the stove eye. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

olyman

i grew popcorn 1 year--came out great. but, for what i can buy a 50 lb bag at sams for----to me it aint worth it--and its good popcorn. yellow hulless

johnjbc

This years Popcorn crop is up and looking good. This year I didn't use my wheeled planter. Popcorn is a little small for the seed corn plate and it was dropping 2 seed at once so I thought I would use my pool stick planter. Hopefully I will get a little bigger ears this year.

Dave Shepard

Got a Whirly Pop for Christmas. 8) 8)

splitter

I worked with a guy once that worked at the movies in his younger days, he said that what made movie popcorn so good was that they popped it in coconut oil. Any one know anything about this? Splitter

woodsteach

Quote from: splitter on December 28, 2009, 08:46:16 PM
I worked with a guy once that worked at the movies in his younger days, he said that what made movie popcorn so good was that they popped it in coconut oil. Any one know anything about this? Splitter
I can't verify that for certain, but.. due to recent health claims we have started cooking in coconut oil (which looks similar to lard in the jar) and the kids and I like our popcorn cooked on the stove top with the c. oil.  I use an old pressure cooker (w/o the stopper).

By the way I and kid #2 like just a sprinkling of organic apple cider vinegar over the top of our popcorn.  Kid #1 &3 like either butter melted over the top or if we happen to be out of butter they like the coconut oil over the top as well.

Everybody likes it with Redmonds Sea Salt as the final topper!!

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

splitter

Woodsteach, where do you get coconut oil? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks Splitter

woodsteach

I've found some local but before that I was going to order from here:  http://www.soaperschoice.com/

It was the best prices that I was able to find. 

Woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

pappy19

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 25, 2008, 10:07:22 PM
Got a Whirly Pop for Christmas. 8) 8)

Oh man, you're in trouble now. You better have ALOT of popcorn around cause once you pop with a Whirleypop, especially with ladyfinger baby white, you'll never try anything else.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

habaneroeater

like breederman said i have a Cuisenart and  its latest and best popper I ever had. who eva lol buys a Cuisenart will say the same. i have had air poppers you tend to put more butter on  air popped and swampdonkey can not afford to much butter up in canada. lol j/k swampdonkey.
i have popped on stovetop but you have to watch it a lot more. far as oil to pop canola oil help those canadian farmers. but peanut works just as well they both have a high smoking point. dressing well 1/3 any oil from olive to peanut with 2/3 real butter works well..( mixing reduces cholesterol).. and any thing like lime zest in the butter with some chile flakes. salt little pepper   the packets from your mac n cheese box is good. depends on how I feel

Raider Bill

I like it popped in Bacon grease.............  I know but it's dang Good!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bruce_A

I noticed some friends using tabasco after they pop it.  I am not a popcorn fan, so can,t say.  This is however a beer drinking crowd.

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm just an old stick- in -the -mud,  but I get along fine with microwave popcorn.  Course I eat quick grits too :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!