iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning to use SketchUp

Started by DouginUtah, March 09, 2008, 10:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

Here are a couple of links I picked out of the rec.woodworking newsgroup:

http://www.go-2-school.com/SketchUP     Free online tutorials or buy a disc.

http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm    A cabinetmaker's information page with some further links and samples.

Note: I don't use SketchUp yet. I can do what I need to do with AutoCAD LT.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

bigshow

Go 2 School - i follow along with every tutorial they put out.  I'm no SU super expert, but I can do anything that i need to...compound joinery, etc...combine with Bremer's TF ruby scripts and your golden.

I never try anything, I just do it.

alpmeadow

I confirm bigshow's learning sketchup method, by go2 school and using bremmer's ruby.  Another source is googling utube for sketchup, many instructional videos.
alpmeadow
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

plbnyn

New to the game of Timbers and framing... What is bremers ruby?

Andrew
Hoc Majorum Vitrus
livin large

alpmeadow

Hi
I recommend going to the Timber Frame Guild website http://www.tfguild.org to learn about timberframing, if you haven't already, then explore their forum on software.
http://www.tfguild.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=12235&page=3
Bremer started this thread and go to his website listed for more on his sketchup timberframe ruby.  I am going to his sketchup workshop at the TFG's Western Conference in April.
Cheers
alpmeadow

witterbound

I just attended his workshop in Minneapolis.  It was great, and the ruby software he has made available to us is awesome.  First you need to become familiar with sketchup.  Draw some small timber frame models.  Took me about 40-60 hours of playing around with it, drawing small frames, to get a darn good handle on how the software works.  After only 8 hours you can draw a crude frame, after 20 you can begin trying to figure out how to insert joinery into your model.  But to become pretty darn good, you have to spend some time.  Clark's Rubies permit you to take any timber into which the joinery has been modeled, and make a 4 sided shop drawing.  I attended Clark's workshop to learn how to use the Rubies, as I had trouble figuring them out on my own.  If you frame is pretty simple, then you might not need this level of detail in your drawings. 

Alexis

what about the Go 2 School  dvd? Any one tried them or just the free lessons? How do they compare with the official SU tutorials? Is the price of the dvd worth it?

thanks

Alexis

bigshow

i'd imagine the DVD is a compilation of the online stuff...i cant see it would be necessary.  Just start with the Go 2 school 1st lesson and keep working your way up.  Pay attention to the stuff that you know you'll be using: push/pull, rotate...the big thing is manipulating the shapes you create.  I mean..a post/beam/girt..thats easy.  but moving them around in the 3D space, and mastering the concepts of components etc.  I think going thru go 2 schools tutorials will give you the skills you need to go crazy on a TF model.

Last i looked, the official SU tutorials were few..and basic..which is good. Start with the official ones, then hit the Go 2 School stuff.  Thats what i did. 

DouginUtah

Here is another link for those who are trying to learn to use SketchUp:

http://www.srww.com/blog/?cat=5

Scroll down to get to Part 1. Above that is Part 2 and above that is Part 3.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Clovis

Right on guys! sketchup is a great tool. I have been dreading the idea that I had to start drawing by hand all of my timbers and frame details. I had no clue on where to start with a cad program that I got. I've now got about 60-80 hours on sketchup and I am starting to fly along. The links to the other tutorials will be a great help. My girl is getting a litle jealous of my 1 on 1 time with my laptop though :D
I'm not afraid of the great outdoors!

Clovis

Ok whats up? I tried the go-to-school videos and they are not working. I've signed up also?????

Any help?

alpmeadow

Hi Clovis
I use itunes podcasts to download the go2school videos and it works ok.
aqlpmeadow

ironstumper

This may be a stupid question, But I'm clueless, So here goes...Anybody know if sketchup drawing is acceptable at the town office for a permit?
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Clovis

Ironstumper: From one who knows there are no stupid questions here. My municipality will accept hand drawn plans and hand drawn corrections on "production" drawings. So I would think that they would happily accept google skechup plans if they include all the info they need. The pluss for them is that thay would be a whole lot more understandable than my drawings. I think the only problem we would run into would be the engineered stuff. But if they are drawn well I bet an engineer could use them and certify them right off of the sketchup drawings.

I have not delt with alot of civil engineers, but the ones I work with would use the sketchup drawings. All the info they need is easy to produce for them and it's exact.
Clovis

beenthere

Quote from: ironstumper on April 19, 2008, 04:21:21 AM
This may be a stupid question, But I'm clueless, So here goes...Anybody know if sketchup drawing is acceptable at the town office for a permit?

What type of permit?
help me out   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigshow

I just got a building permit with plans printed on 8x11 paper that i made from sketchup.  Another gal getting a permit in the office had ~3'x5' blue prints for the kitchen alone.  Had zero problems or complaints with what i submitted.  I was prepared with all the prerequisite forms and played ball.  The other gal with official blue prints had not filled out anything and was being given the run around quite terribly. 

ironstumper

Beenthere, I am planing on building a 24 by 48 workshop on the back of my lot. So building permit would be what I'm after. I need to put a rush on this as my next door neighbor was kind enough to notify the planning board that I was operating a business in a residential area. When I explained this building is for my own personal use it slowed down the 30 day notice. But I feel like a building permit in hand would seal my plans for awhile. Just can't understand why anyone would object to looking at 70-or 80 logs in my yard can you? Guess I'm not far enough out in the sticks... ;D
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Thank You Sponsors!