iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Compact Fluorescent Lights

Started by DouginUtah, March 09, 2008, 09:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I have been intending to post this information for over a month and tonight I have finally remembered to do it.

Do not buy Bright Effects CFLs unless you like having to wait for a couple of seconds after you flick the switch.

These are sold by Lowes locally.

I have used N:Vision and Commercial Electric brands and they light up immediately.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Dave Shepard

I thought my house was trying to burn down for weeks, until someone told my they put CFLs in the light fixtures. Not exactly instant flicker free lighting. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Well, I ain't thought all that much of this CFL thing they're trying to push on us, but I found some on sale at Walmart, so I bought them.  They were the "Great Value" Walmart store brand, and were supposed to be equivilant to a 75w bulb.  I'm here to tell you that they AIN'T!  It's more like a 40w bulb, and the light makes everything look a different color.  For instance, mustard looks more like guacamole than mustard.  I'm just wondering if that is the Norm ;D for those things, or is it just because I bought some cheap ones on sale.  I haven't noticed any delay in coming on or any flickering, however.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

DanG, you sure that mustard is still good?  :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Yeah it's good!  It's the same mustard we had when you was here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

That was back in October...5 months ago.... >:(

I've got some of them CFL burning. Some had a slight delay when you flip the switch, and some need time to warm up (the one outside). I can't tell a difference in light output. I'm using the GE bulbs.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

DanG

If it makes ya feel any better, Stew, I put the last bit of that mustard on my bloney sammich today.  I opened up a new jar and it is green too.  I took it in the other room where we have a real light bulb and it looks yeller like it otter.  I figger about the time they outlaw real light bulbs and whack up all the real light bulb factories and sell them to China for scrap, they're gonna decide that CFLs give ya skin cancer and they'll have to build new real light bulb factories and real light bulbs will cost $49 each instead of 3 for 49ยข like they are now.

scsmith42

Doug, thanks for the alert.  Unfortunately, I bought a 6-pack of them yesterday before I read your post! 

I've been using the Sylvania's with good results in a number of my farm buildings.  They sure save lot's of $.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

breederman

Scott,
   How long have you had them in?  I replace most of the ones in our house with sylvanias and 3/4s of them did not last very long and have been replaced.
DanG,

They already know they will give you cancer or sompin, they are full of mercury >:(
Together we got this !

Dave Shepard

Doesn't mercury have to be in vapor form, or ingested  to be dangerous? The old bulbs are full of lead, which I hear isn't so tasty either.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

In no way do I claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I do have a few facts that make me favor incandescents.  Ever bust a flourescent bulb?  What is in that cloud of white dust that goes everywhere?  Is it something you want to be breathing?  Flourescents are considered "Hazardous Waste" by the EPA, and it is illegal to dispose of them improperly.  The City of Tallahassee has an inspection program for businesses to make sure they are in compliance, so they must feel it is pretty important.

Now I'm not criticizing anybody who wants to use them, but I sure do oppose outlawing incandescent bulbs, as has been proposed. >:(

Radar67

I have to agree here DanG. Let the consumer decide which of the products he or she wants to use.

Dodgy Loner

DanG, I bought those cheapo "Great Value" CFLs from Wal-Mart, and I don't like them.  Like you said, they make the color in the room look strange, and they're not as bright as they claim to be (although, like most CFLs, if you wait 2 minutes they'll be a lot brighter than when you first switch them on).

I finally bit the bullet and replaced all of the bulbs in my house with the N:vision bulbs from Home Depot.  The're more expensive initially, but I could tell the difference in my power bill immediately.  They offer different bulb colors, some of which (ie, the most expensive of which ::)) are better than incandescents.  But it's been 2 years since I've replaced a light bulb!

No way incandescent bulbs should be outlawed, though.  They'll probably lose popularity anyway as CFL technology improves.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Warbird

I see they are making ones you can put in a dimmer circuit now.  Finally.  I just put three 100 watt equivalent CFL's in the kitchen fixture.  They give off a nice, bright, yellow light, as opposed to the full spectrum harsh white light of the bedroom fixture.

submarinesailor

Ok, lets talk about the mercury in CFLs.  The amount of mercury in the new CFLs is way lower than many people would like to believe; 5 milligrams vice 500 mg.  In all my reading, I can not find anything where they (EPA) call them "Hazardous Waste".  If they were truely hazard, they would require the use of a HEPA vacuum cleaner. Yes, they have a clean-up procedure, but remember a BIG bunch of us use to roll mercury around in our hands and rub it onto nickles and other coins.  Is it possible that some of this "mercury scare" is a bit over blown?

One of the main points being missed here is; what about the reduction in the mercury being released into the air due to burning less coal for electricity.

Here is what the EPA has on their web site about CFLs, their handling and clean-up:

Do CFLs contain mercury?
CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing โ€“ an average of 5 milligrams โ€“ about the amount that would cover the tip of a ball-point pen. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury. It would take 100 CFLs to equal that amount.

Mercury currently is an essential component of CFLs and is what allows the bulb to be an efficient light source. No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact or in use. Many manufacturers have taken significant steps to reduce mercury used in their fluorescent lighting products. In fact, the average amount of mercury in a CFL is anticipated to drop by the end of 2007 thanks to technology advances and a commitment from members of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association.

What precautions should I take when using CFLs in my home? CFLs are made of glass and can break if dropped or roughly handled. Be careful when removing the bulb from its packaging, installing it, or replacing it. Always screw and unscrew the lamp by its base (not the glass), and never forcefully twist the CFL into a light socket. If a CFL breaks in your home, follow the clean-up recommendations below. Used CFLs should be disposed of properly (see below).

What should I do with a CFL when it burns out? EPA recommends that consumers take advantage of available local recycling options for compact fluorescent light bulbs. EPA is working with CFL manufacturers and major U.S. retailers to expand recycling and disposal options. Consumers can contact their local municipal solid waste agency directly, or go to epa.gov/bulbrecyclingprograms or earth911.org to identify local recycling options.

How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb?
The following steps can be performed by the general public:
     1.   Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
     2.   Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed plastic bag.
             a.   Use disposable rubber gloves, if available (i.e., do not use bare hands). Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the plastic bag.
             b.   Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces
     3.    Place all cleanup materials in a second sealed plastic bag.
             a.   Place the first bag in a second sealed plastic bag and put it in the outdoor trash container or in another outdoor protected area for the next normal trash disposal.
             b.   Note: some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken lamps be taken to a local recycling center.
             c.   Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.
     4.   If a fluorescent bulb breaks on a rug or carpet:
             a.   First, remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner, following the steps above. Sticky tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
             b.   If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag or vacuum debris in two sealed plastic bags in the outdoor trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.

Don_Papenburg

All of them plastic bag for disposal , They are made of petrolium  ,using the CFLs was to use less petro.  They are going to the dump anyway ,and the dozer is going to run over the bag of trash and smash and rip the bag/bulb/and other contents .  So be a Green bulb disposer and just throw it in the bag as you rush it out to the curb as the garbage truck is pulling up.
Save our petrol ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

scsmith42

Breederman, I've been using CFL's for about 4 years, primarily in my barns and outdoor fixtures.  It seems as if they either burn out within 20 hours of use, or they last for years.

I've used everything from candleabra base 3 watters to 150 watt ones.   It seems as if the floodlights don't last as long as the others, especially in a motion detection based floodlight fixture.  Every one of these that I've used has burned out fairly quickly (less than 3 months).

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tim1234

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 10, 2008, 10:07:21 PM
It seems as if the floodlights don't last as long as the others, especially in a motion detection based floodlight fixture.  Every one of these that I've used has burned out fairly quickly (less than 3 months).

I believe you are not supposed to use CFLs in any fixuture that has a photo sensor to turn the lights on/off at Dusk/Dawn.  That may be why you are burning them out so fast.

Also you need to know what Color tempurature you are buying:

2700K - Homes, Restaurants, Hotel lobbies, Boutiques
3000K - Libraries, Office Areas, Retail Stores
4100K - Showrooms, Bookstores, Office Areas
5000K - Museums, Jewelry Stores, Hospitals
5600K - Used to Simulate Outdoor Conditions

I like a 3500k temp as it is white but not as harsh as the 5000k lights.  The 2700k is too yellow for my taste.  But you need to buy the bulb that suits your needs.  If a bulb does not list a color temperature, I won't buy it.

Here is a more detailed description of the color temps and their suggested applications:

Warm White

The "warm" white light bulb often has a color temperature of up to 2800K. It imparts a more orange/red light on objects. Because you normally associate warmth with red or orange objects, this accounts for the "warm" descriptive name, even though it is a cooler temperature on the Kelvin scale.

Halogen White

Halogen White bulbs fall within the range of 2800K to 3500K.  They impart a clear, white light with very little red or blue tones.

Cool White

A "cool" white bulb commonly has a color temperature of 3600K to 4900K. This is in the low range of blue color, similar to ice. Hence, the "cool" adjective.

Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bulbs have a color temperature of 5000K and above.  They impart a bright, white light that makes all colors stand out.  Be sure that the bulb you choose for full spectrum applications says "Full Spectrum" as all full spectrum bulbs are 5000K and above but not all 5000K and above bulbs are "Full Spectrum".

Daylight
Bulbs that are 5600K and up are considered Daylight bulbs.  These bulbs offer a clean, bright light.

Color Temperature Can Affect the Way Things Look in Your House
If you decorate with reds, browns, and oranges, you want to illuminate these rooms with bulbs that have a color temperature in the 2750 - 3000K range. Conversely, if you happen to like green or blue colors, light these rooms with bulbs that produce color temperatures of 4000K or above.

And while full spectrum lighting sounds good in theory, many will find this type of lighting too harsh for overall home lighting applications.  It's best to install full spectrum bulbs in those fixtures that are used when you need to differentiate between colors.

So What is the Perfect Color Temperature for Residential Interiors?
Most people prefer around 2700K - 3000K for a warm, cozy, romantic, and sheltered experience.

There are many websites that cary wattages from 2 watts to 200 watts in most color temperatures.  Also you can get 3-way bulbs.  The dimable bulbs are not really good yet. The act more like a 3-way bulb and not smoothly like an incandesent would.

Tim   
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Dave Shepard

Great info Tim! It makes sense to me, as the color temps have a lot to do with photography, which I have been tryin' to study up on. Using the wrong light source can really stress out the old eyes.

Dave

RSteiner

In New Hampshire the power provider was offering in store rebates for CFL's for a while so I outfitted the whole house with them.  They do make a difference in the electric bill.  Color temperature as Tim said makes a huge difference in the appeal of the light.  Something around 3000K is a good temperature.  Oh, by the way if anyone is interested the temperature thing is the brightness that would be radiated by a material heated to 3000 degress on the Kelvin scale.

Some CFL take a few seconds more to warm up to full light output than others.  I happened to put one of the slow starters in the bathroom light fixture.  My brother-in-law and his family recently stayed with us for a week, after they had been there for 3 or 4 days his daugther asked if it was her imagination or does the light get brigther after you have benn in the bathroom for a while.  I told her that was a special light for those who have to get up in the night to use the bathroom.  Rather than have the light come on bright and blind you it just starts out with a low glow and gradully gets brigther.  ::)

I think I heard some where that in a few years incandescent bulbs will no longer be available.

Randy
Randy

breederman

I wonder if the life span of cfl's is realated to how long they are turned on.  It seems as if the ones that do not last are in fixtures that are not left on very long. like the bath room or and bedroom ceiling fixtures. Maybe alot of quick on/offs is not good for them?
Together we got this !

Corley5

I switched our house over to CFLs a little ove a year ago with GE bulbs.  I noticed very little difference on our light bill.  I'm glad others do  :) 8) 8)  My goal was to lower the bill as Dee likes to have EVERY light in the house on  ::) ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tim1234

Quote from: breederman on March 11, 2008, 07:24:15 AM
I wonder if the life span of cfl's is realated to how long they are turned on.  It seems as if the ones that do not last are in fixtures that are not left on very long. like the bath room or and bedroom ceiling fixtures. Maybe alot of quick on/offs is not good for them?

CFLs do like to be left on and don't like being turned on and off.  That's why I leave the incandesents in the bathroom.  At about $6 to $9 a pop for the globe style, I'll stick with the normal globes ;)

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

PineNut

With the slow warm up time for the CFL, I find that instead of turning a light on when I need it and then off when I don't, I just leave the CFL on all the time. Does this save electricity? I don't think so. I use the CFL on lights that are left on for long periods of time and the regular incandescent lights in the fixtures that are turned on and off frequently. (Some of these lamps last 5 to 10 years.) As for the outlawing of a useful product, I am building an inventory of them.

Another problem I have encountered with CFL is they will not fit in all fixtures. With the large diameter just above the base, they will not screw down far enough into the fixture to make electrical contact

Stephen1

Another problem I have encountered with CFL is they will not fit in all fixtures. With the large diameter just above the base, they will not screw down far enough into the fixture to make electrical contact

I had the same problem with my pot lights, had to buy a socket extension, not sure how much money I am saving with the cost of the cfl bulbs, socket extensions, and loss of heat.

Interesting thought, I use heat 8 months of the year, regular bulbs generate heat, CFL's do not, so I now have to replace that heat from another source,  electric heat, or propane furnace.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!