iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choker Cable

Started by sawdust, March 07, 2008, 08:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

The 5/16 steel winch cable that came on the Chomper splitter is not the best, it is developing wickers. I think thats what the little frayed things that keep stabbing me are called. Can you buy real good quality cable in 1/4 inch? Real choker cable does not fray the way this 5/16 stuff does.
thanks for the help!
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Corley5

We call those frayed pieces wildcats cause they'll make you scream like a wildcat when they sink into your hand  ;) ;D :D  It's really not funny it hurts especially when one breaks off in your flesh and you can't find the end to pull it out  :o :( >:(  You might check Bailey's for cable.  I know they have bigger sizes for skidding  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paul_H

We call them "jaggers".
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawdust

Just got my Bailey's catalogue today! Joan must really love me :) she actually brings it home from the post office! i will go have a look.

Reddog

Or try one of the high tech ropes like Unitrex, by Yale Cordage

sprucebunny

We call them meathooks, for obvious reasons 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawdust

Baileys has skidding tongs which will be perfect. Still need a cable to pull it. The winch drum is fairly small diameter and the trees will be skidded across a yard that is free of hang ups.

arojay

When I worked in the oil patch we called them wickers(never seen it spelled).  When I was logging in BC they were jaggers.  What I call them mostly, can't be used it a post.  The tongs sound like the answer for your chomper.  Are you chomping green or dry wood?  I wondered if dry spruce would turn into kindling.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

grassfed

Saliors call them fishhooks...at least we did back in the day I was in the USCG.
Mike

stonebroke

Try Amsteel line if you you do not like them, A little pricy though.

Stonebroke

buzzegray

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I like choker chain system, too.  Take a grade 70 or 80 3/8" chain with a choker
hook and you can drag anything!  Pulled a 44" Yellow Poplar a couple of weeks ago!
:o

Also,  I recently ordered two tongs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company that are working very well.
They were 40% less than Baileys.  They are working perfectly on logs from 5"
to 20".  Ordered one of their big tongs 30"+ size.  They work too.   Made in China,
of course, so the quality may depend upon whose backyard foundry produced that
batch, but I had good luck.
::)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

rebocardo

Bailey's does not list 1/4" cable in the catalog, though they do sell it.

I have them swag one foot loops on my ends. It makes it easier to make choker loops or to pull the loop over a clamp or shackle if the cable is overhead.

The cable is okay for the price, I do not winch with mine, so I can't comment on the jaggers.

bg372

use a torch and melt the litle jagger things. thats what we do.

rockenbman

I use 3/8 chain works good for me  ;)
I love the smell of burnt fuel pouring out of my Jonesred early in the morning.

Danny Dimm

The problem with rope or chain is that they don't push very well at all. Makes them tough to get under a log thats tight to the ground. And your not a real logger untill you have run one of those jaggers clear through your hand or finger!

rebocardo

> Makes them tough to get under a log

A piece of curved 1/2" rebar with a loop on the end will pull a chain under a log easy enough.

Thank You Sponsors!