iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new sawmill

Started by sapsucker, March 06, 2008, 07:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sapsucker

Hi Folks,

I am a new hobby sawmill owner who has been following the information posted on this forum. Your information is great for a new mill operator like me who has zero experience. I picked up my new LT28 a few weeks ago and have cut 3 planks so far. I have been snowed in most of this month (Ottawa Valley, Ontario Canada) and have not been able to get my logs to the mill and its driving me nuts.

Thanks for all the great information posted. I look forward to doing more research and asking for advice form everyone. I may not post often but will read the information every day.
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

HOGFARMER

Congradulations on your new mill.  You are right this is a very good source for information.  Best of luck.
Manual LT-30

Lud

Welcome A Board,  Sapsucker.

If you can't saw,  haul logs in from the woods or sit and read the forum.  It's all good....... ;D ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing you could have snow for a while yet? Like Lud says, pull up a chair hang out for a spell. What are you going to be sawing? I saw a lot of pine here.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Osagedon

Welcome Sapsucker,   I too am new to sawmilling and to the forum.  I got my LT15  last friday and got to saw a couple of cherry logs last Sunday.  Like you Im itching to saw some wood (maybe this evening ;D).  As far as info. the forum is Great!  Everyone here has been very helpful.

Don

OneWithWood

Welcome to the forum, Sapsucker. 

Congrats on the LT28.  I hope you have alerted all those folks who are used to seeing you around that they are going to see a lot less of you now  :D 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawdust

They will figure it out... Where did that sucker go? aww! he playing in the sap again!

good nickname.  8)
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

zopi

Congratz!

get used to sawdust in your pockets...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jackpine

Zopi 

You have not sawn downwind of the sawdust chute enough to find out where else the sawdust will be besides your pockets ;D

Sapsucker

Welcome to the Forum

Bill

beav39

welcome aboard sap sucker,lots of good info here !congrats on the new mill!!
sawdust in the blood

Don K

Welcome to the Forum sapsucker.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

brdmkr

Welcome sapsucker.  I look forward to hearing more about your mill.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!  And congradts on the new LT28. 

Too bad the weather has kept you from using it.  Maybe it'll give you time to read the manuals.   :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Welcome sapsucker [not the yellow bellied varity i hope]its tough to have a new machine and not be able to play with it.Probibly the first project should be a comfy mill building and a covered log brow.As said spend the time here and planning for spring.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sapsucker

After reading more of the good info here I couln't wait any longer and headed to the valley yesterday to cut a log or two. After spending 3 hours on the tractor clearing 1 foot of new snow that fell last week. I got the mill ready. The plan was to saw a nice maple today. I woke up to 51 cm of new snow that fell last night. I put the tarp back over the tractor and mill until next weekend. I'll spend the week gettng the sap cans ready for the spring thaw.

Thanks for the welcome!!
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

John Bartley

Hi df,

I know how you feel!!  It seems that for every hour I've cut in the last month or so, I've spent three hours clearing snow first - I've had enough now...

Where in the valley are you? I'm just west of Ottawa in Stittsville.

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

sapsucker

Hey John,
I live in Cobourg ON and have 285 acres in Hope Town ON. It is a half hour from Almonte. Did you get any wood cut after hat 52 cm of snow?  I might give it a go this weekend. I want to start clearing the lot that I am building my log cabin on. I have 25 logs drying that I cut last fall that need to be milled into 6 x 8s. I only need another 40 or so to mill. I want to get the  20 x 20 cabin built this year. It will be a chore for me. I have a hard time driving a nail straight.

Chat with you soon.
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

John Bartley

Hey df,

Hope Town is a lovely part of the valley - ideal spot for a cabin - ideal spot for a maple sugar cooker too!  We didn't get any more logs cut since the snow - we had to pull the mill out so that my friend (where the mill is) could clean his yard. Today, since we couldn't cut, we got busy and we moved all the wood we'd cut and we stacked and stickered it.  As we were hauling our boards to the yard where we're storing it, a guy in a truck stopped us (pulled us over on the road) and asked if we were going to be selling it. We said "yup - we are", so he gave us a phone number and said to make sure we called him - it turns out he's a customer of my friend - he gets his small engine stuff fixed at my friends place - small world....!

I guess we'll be cutting again next week after we get a loader in to pull out some logs for us.

cheers for now eh?

John
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

sapsucker

John,
You are correct about the maple sugar.....hence the name: sapsucker. My brother and I will be getting the cooker going very soon. Sound like you guys just made a good contact for the milled lumber. I can't wait to get my new LT 28 going.
Maybe this weekend
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

donny hochstetler

welcome to the forum. congrats on your new mill. i'm new around here also,i have worked with timber ,and trees all my life ,but never really the milling end of it, but i'm gona start soon ,maybe we can learn a few things together . i just happened to see where your from, we always go up to rice lake every summer for vacation. what fun i can't wait till july 8) maybe we'll run into you at the coburg walmart ,we also like to go out on the pier by the beach, very refreshing after a long night of driving.

sapsucker

Hey donny, I live right by the lake in Cobourg. Other than July and August when I am out on my charter boat I spend all my time in the woods. This year I will be learning how to operate the mill. Looking forward to it. I can use all the help I can get when it come to working with wood.
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

John Bartley

Hey df :),

If you find yourself without a helper when you're at your camp, let me know. If I'm not busy and if you want a spare hand for a day to help hold stuff and someone to bounce thoughts off while you learn about your mill, let me know. You're just about a "one coffee" drive away from me and I'll go up and give you a hand.

cheers eh?
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

sapsucker

okay John, I just might take you up on that one day. Ican always use an extra hand. I have faily in your neck of the woods and they can't always be around to help.
df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

bandmiller2

Sapsucker,its tough when winter slams shut,and its always just before you want to do something.Your handle brings back memories.When we were young my cousin and I were bad little dudes we hunted woodpeckers with BB guns,we had ourselves convinced they were yellow bellied sapsuckers,and had to be bad birds. The only way for us to handle winter is to stockpile logs before the woods is locked and have a roof over the mill.I've done a little" sugering "as we call it alot of work for little return.I think the oldtimers did it because their was nothing else to do at that time of year.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

At one time maple sugar/syrup was about the only source of sweetening to be had. Later cane sugar was available, but cost money. Was easier to make maple sugar than cash to buy cane sugar. It was a big deal, way back then.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sapsucker

I spent a few hours trying to dig out the bush road to where my log pile is located. I didn't even make it half way. My Case DX 40 worked hard moving the 5 feet of packed snow off the road. I'll give it another try this weekend. I need to start sawing.

My brother and I put up 100 sap cans. What a chore that was snowshoeing through 5 plus feet of snow. We had to get it done, the sap is flowing very well and we should be doing our first boil this week. This is a nice way to kill time waiting to get the mill going.

df
work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

Thank You Sponsors!