iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ebay question

Started by sunriseseamless, March 03, 2008, 01:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunriseseamless

I bought a saw through ebay.  At least I attempted to by a saw.  It's been two and a half months and no saw.
There was a payment confusion at the beginning so I didn't actually get it paid for until a couple weeks after purchase.  A few weeks later I emailed the seller that it still wasn't here.  He responded that it was sent and he would check on it, assuring me it was insured.  I emailed a week later, then another week later and he quit responding to my emails.  I tried to leave a complaint with ebay, but they have a two month window and I was past that.
It's been two and a half months. Any one have a suggestion?
The guys name is Scott Laddouceur from British Columbia and often sells chainsaws.  Perhaps someone knows him?
Thanks,
Steve

Cut4fun

He is usually a top notch guy. Do you need his website link or email?

Maybe something happened, but I would be worried too.

Big packages from Can takes along time, it took 2 months to get a saw once myself.

rebocardo

> but they have a two month window and I was past that

You really should not have done that for anyone for any reason no matter what the rep  :(

If you can not get it in one month after payment, never mind two, you should have filed a claim with PayPal before the time limit ran out. You might still be under the time limit for PayPal. Double check and ask for proof of SHIPMENT through PayPal.

Personally, I would have asked the question without posting the person's name.

Because the package may still be in transit, it is also winter time and you can never tell if someone's rural communications have been taken out. In our line of work, the guy may have even been killed by a tree or in the hospital from an accident. Names are a last resort, imho.

sunriseseamless

I will certainly apologize if it's just an honest mistake.
As far as waiting, I'm a patient trusting guy, didn't know the rules, haven't ebayed much, got real busy.  (Pick one)
It is nice to hear he has a good reputation.  Maybe it will show up soon.
In the mean time, I wish he would answer his emails.
I will double check Paypal, but it seemed like that only had a six week window.

Cut4fun

I am going to send you a pm with a email addy I use to get hold of him outside of ebay.

johncinquo

I can concour on Scott.  Usually top notch and pretty well known.

Communicate, communicate, communicate.  That keeps things going and fresh in the mind.  If you havent told him, he might be thinking you got it and everything is fine.  I had someone mad at me and was threatening to send the law after me for some motorcycle parts he bought.  I had NO idea, he never let me know anything was ever wrong.  I had to go research and find his wife had signed for them, and they had been sitting in his garage for over a month.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

fuzzybear

Are you located in the U.S.?  If so it may be held up at customs. If the customs fee was not paid it could take a while for them to notify you.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

Stuff coming out of Canada can be a royal pain in the behind,red tape,geeze.It took me a month to get a coil for an old Mac once.

One would think with this NAFTA deal that sort of thing would be taken care of but not so.Would you believe I can get stuff from Australia faster than from Canada.Go figure .

rebocardo

> Would you believe I can get stuff from Australia faster than from Canada.Go figure .

It is cheaper to mail a big package to Australia then to Canada too. I learned that from my E-Bay sales.

Al_Smith

---and to add to that,from Ohio the mail to the west coast is 3 days.To Australia  it is 4 .

The Canadians talk about something they refer to as "brokerage " fees .Perhaps a type of tarrif or something.

I've had new parts shipped from Canada that were US in origin,no fees what so ever .Parts from BC usual take 7 to 10 days  but up to two weeks  at times .By the same token parts from Seattle usually are  less than 5 days .

sunriseseamless

It's been three months now.
Scott last sent me an email Jan 25th.
I've emailed him once a week since, but no response.
I'm bummed.  I guess I'll mark that $400 as education.

Ironwood

I shipped a 60" square 2" thick table top to a new customer (potential future volume sales). The guy left it crated for over two weeks before opening, on the 16 th day he opens it and finds it cracked (no visible crate damage, shipper must have stored it on it's side and dropped it from there). The policy is 15 days :(, so now do I make him pay? New customer, future sales at stake, no, I build another (under priced it in the first place to get my foot in the door, and with excess material on hand), so now I have to rebuild it from PRIME stock, and start ALL over. Lessons are not fun, I ate this one. For me first lesson, ALWAYS price at current inventory replacement value ("or last in first out"), ALL crates are showing damage when arriving no matter what (find a scratch and USE IT), and price at fair market (if it is too costly  let them go somewhere else).

I feel for you man, I hope it works out. I have had guys I worked with in the past end up DEAD (literally, from a widow maker), I contacted a guy about 8 months after my last call to him, imagine my remorse when I ask for him and his wife says "no he died last year in the woods"  :-\ woops.

Regards Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mike_van

Steve, you can get the sellers contact info [phone #, address, etc] from ebay - It would be well worth trying a different way to get ahold of him. Does he still have stuff for sale? Any new auctions?  My thought is you've let it go too long. If the package was insured, there should be some recourse for you, start at your local p.o. and see. In 8+ years on ebay, over 1500 "deals" I had one go missing - I sent a snatch block to a guy, priority mail, 10 days later he doesn't have it yet - I started where I sent it from, they said there's a "dead letter" place where stuff goes that can't be delivered. 2 forms to fill out, etc  I had a picture of it too -  Wait & wait About 2 weeks, the guy got his block! The only thing I can think of is the label [priority mail sticker] fell off the box.   Or, it was somehow? made unreadable.  Funny, the p.o. asked if I insured it - I said, no, I paid usps 16.00 to deliver it, not lose it!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sunriseseamless

Mike,  He has no new sales on ebay, although he does have a website with stuff for sale.  The contact info on that site is the same email I've been using.
If I went to my local PO what would I ask for?  A package from Canada that looks like a chain saw?  Are you suggesting it got that far but no farther?
I researched his ebay account but didn't find any additional contact info.  I'll try again though.

mike_van

Somewhere there's a way to get a sellers contact info on ebay Steve, at least there used to be - When you requested it, the seller got yours too.  Try the ebay "help" tab.  If you talk to your local postmaster, maybe he'd have some idea of how to try to find that package? I'm just guessing here, but it'd be a place to start.   I just found this page on ebay http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=9#ContactInfo     If the link doesn't work, go to "help" and type in 'contact info'  It'll come up as a topic.

sunriseseamless

Thanks Mike,
  I was able to get a phone number, so that was a big help.  Just got the answering machine.  I'll keep you posted

timberfaller390

That's the main reason I don't do ebay. I hope everything works out for you.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sunriseseamless

I think I'm out $400.  I've called Scott and left messages, no response.  I've emailed him, no response.
Ebay says he's not selling anything.
Either he ran into something bad, or he just doesn't care.  If anyone knows him personally, i would sure
appreciate my money back.

TexasTimbers

Steve,

The cards are stacked in favor of the buyer on both ebay and paypal.  It should be that way also, because their are more scammers selling than buying.

You should, and I assume you will in the future, educate yourself before making a purchase. there are some good guidleines to follow both as a seller and as a buyer, and most of them are covered in the FAQ's and other secctions on ebay and paypal that most people never read.

Not chewing you out but this one is on you. Paypal would have refunded your money. Ebay would have shut his account down if he did not respond to you or them.

Hard lesson learned. Before I started sending high value items overseas I spent alot of time in various forums, and I am glad I did. I lessened my exposure to risks (you can never eliminate them 100%), and on more than one occassion I have missed a sale because I would not accept paypal on large orders where I was getting bad vibes. These were not ebay orders just ones generated by my website.

I hope you get your money or saw back, but it sounds like it started off vaguely in the first place "there was some payment confusion...." man that is always enough to get me to find a way to back out of a sale right off the bat unless I know it was an honest mistake/blunder.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Kevin

Where does this guy live in BC?

sunriseseamless

Kevin,  He lives in Courtenay.  I have his exact address but don't feel good about giving it out publicly.  Do you think I should mail him a letter, return receipt requested?

Texas Timbers,  I don't deny that I have a responsibility when buying.  I guess I was just naive.  I saw the 98% positive feedback and thought I was OK.
As far as the future, I will probably not ebay with individuals.  (I've had good success with businesses).  I'll probably end up buying things through the local shopper papers.

Kevin

You may wish to contact the RCMP in Courtenay and have them investigate this an internet fraud.
At least have them contact the guy to see what's going on.

Comox Valley
800 Ryan RD, COURTENAY, V9N 7T1
(250) 338-1321

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=27&languageId=1#c

sunriseseamless

Well guys, you won't believe it, but I got my saw.
I contacted the RCMP as Kevin suggested, and they called the seller.  He called them back and that got the ball rolling :)
Scott, ( the seller), contacted me.  His story is that he got really sick and was in and out of the hospital for two months.  While this was going on his email was shut down along with his phone, so he didn't get my messages. :'(  My saw got returned to him with my address destroyed. 
Believe his story or not, he resent the saw and I fired it up for the first time today.  An 076 can really make some wood chips 8)
Now to order a ripping chain and get my Alaskan rig set up

Harvey

Sunriseseamless

Glad to hear you got your saw and I don't believe his story.

Harvey

ps   the mounties always get their man (or saw in this case).
For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

mike_van

A good ending!   8)

Thank You Sponsors!