iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Advice From Cedar Expert

Started by dail_h, May 17, 2003, 04:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I backed into a shot of cedar logs today,problen is one of them is rotten-hearted. Big ole thing,about 30 india.but a lot of wood around the rot I want to try splitting as for post,then have Mr Spruill saw it 1/8 for woodweave.Am I wasting my time and energy? The rest seem ok,one dead and dry,two more still standing,the farmer is going to cut them for me this week.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Unless you have lots of cedar available, I would saw whatever the thing would make. At 30", there should be a lot of sound wood, I would think.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Oregon_Sawyer

I don't know if I qualify as an expert, but I cut alot of cedar.  Last weekend I cut a log truck load of cedar.

I cut a cedar with center defect like this: I  cut it just like I would any other log.   I cut each side and then cut one side down untill the defect starts to show.  Then I turn and do the same on the other sides.  At that time I see if I can cut the defective end off and still have a usable short log.  If not, burn pile time.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Kevin

I see a substantial amount of heart rot in the cedar I cut.
Most can be milled but some aren't worth it.
On a large log I'll make one flat surface and use these for small light duty bridge stringers back in the bush because the sapwood is good.
I use the flat surface to nail the deck on.

Percy

Im no expert on Cedar either but when I get a large butt that is rotten in the center, the sound wood around the rot is usually clears($). If you can split it,and putt each half/quarter/whatever, you get all vertical grain clears...they lovem around here.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Maybe cedareater will stop buy and tell ya'll how to cook what you dont saw. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

It's always food time here on theFF :D :D :D Thanks guys
      Volume Discount At ER

Tim

The wife wants to open a restaurant Jeff... If your cedreater has any published recepies, she'd be interested in buying the book... Might help me get rid of my sawdust pile to boot... :)
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

ARKANSAWYER

Percy is right that it is good to saw them as the side wood is clear.  Some times it runs the whole way and others just a little.  It is a crap shoot but often worth it.   I would saw them all.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

dail_h

Spent a good part of today working on the cedar logs. The butt of the first log was already split,so I finished it into 4 pieces,3 on the first load. Second tree got 3 good 8 ft logs and a short.After I got here and unloaded found fence in butt.Returned to finish first tree got two more logs out of top.I gave out of steam befpre I finished.Tomorrow will try to get last logs and any bits that might be valueable for turners or carvers
      Volume Discount At ER

Thank You Sponsors!