iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF sills

Started by EastMark, March 03, 2008, 06:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EastMark

What are you guys doing for sills on your TF's ? It will be on a radiat heated slab,no basement.
Also, I might use SIPS so thats a consideration too. Does that change anything on the sill ?
Any feedback/thoughts would be great.

Mark

moonhill

Hi Mark, I have been using no sills on slabs.  The post is on some kind of mount x# of " from the edge of the slab.  In this space is a standard plate which is the base of the insulated wall system.  In this type of system there is no timbered sill to get in the way on the inside of the frame.  The slab needs to have a thicker edge and rebar for the point loads.  I like the slab setup but they do have a draw back, hard on the feet of the occupants.  The slab does save on the floor work though, two birds with one big stone.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

EastMark

""The post is on some kind of mount x# of " from the edge of the slab. ""

Ive seen different ways of doing this...straps or sometimes small metal (sometimes decorative) corner braces.
Of course I will need to allow for footings and extra width for the walls/SIPS bigger than the TF footprint.
Are you overhanging the slab slightly with the panels for runoff or...?
Mark

Jim_Rogers

If you go to the sips.org site and click on technical details you'll see some drawing of the way you can do things.

Here is one link:
http://www.sips.org/content/technical/index.cfm?pageId=137

If you go to other panel manufacturers sites you can also see details of how to plan these things.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

EastMark

Great site ! Lots of info.
Mark

moonhill

Mark, I am not using sips.  I use a wrap and strap system.  The extra slab is just to set the insulated wall on.  It could work with out it, in that case I have used a extra wide 2x sill where the post and wall sit on the plate, with half the sill hanging off the slab.  I prefer to see the wall supported, if possible.  As for the post bracket, I've done lots of different things, and have not been totaly satisfied but they have all worked, usually its something inexpensive.  Maybe some one else will give some examples.  The last ones we did were just a pin in the slab and a hole in the foot of the post very simple.  Tar and ice and water shield as a break between the wood and concrete.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!