iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quilted maple

Started by turningfool, February 29, 2008, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

do any special precautions have to be taken with the sanding of quilted maple turned on a lathe? finally broke down and bought a chunk with superb figure thru-out the piece and dont want to mess it up by starting with too coarse of a grit..open to suggestions

SwampDonkey

I've never worked with it turningfool, but polished up it sure is about the most neat optical experience you'll encounter.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

low_48

I guess that you really can't start with too course of paper, as long as you use the next grit long enough to cut out the scratches from before. I almost never start courser than 120. The only exception would be when doing some slightly punky/spalted materials and I can't shear scrape out some chip out. On some woods, especially cherry, I will take a damp rag and wipe down the piece between the courser grades of sand paper. I let it dry, and it will swell up the course fiber and sanding scratches, making for a little less sanding time. I've turned some heavily quilted maple from buttress flares, but never turned something like quilted big leaf maple. I can't say that it sanded any different than any other solid material. I look forward to the pics of the finished piece!

Thank You Sponsors!