iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best under $150, non-junk, chain grinder (your opinion)

Started by Jimbob, February 28, 2008, 10:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

What are some of the best (under $150) grinders out there ? (or are there any decent ones at that price ?)

Thanks,
Jim

sawguy21

In that price range there is no 'best'. Oregon has a very decent grinder for the occasional user but it is still around $300.00CDN, the pro model is over 500.00. Harbor Freight and others offer cheap copies but IMHO they are a waste of money. Not accurate and will not last.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

northern hydraulics has a grinder, that is a copy of the oregon one. for 90.00, its a good one--on another site--two guys are making shims for them to make the base tighter--but it still works very well even without the shims--i have two of them, and am very happy

rebocardo

I bought the speedmaster (made in italy) from Baileys for $150 and have been very happy with it. The biggest short coming was basically no directions. Probably have sharpened chains about 400 times with it?

rebocardo

Someone asked me a few questions about my purchase, through e-mail, so I am going to answer here:

> Will the Speedmaster sharpen a milling chain (10 degrees) ?

Yes, it can handle a top plate angle from 0-35 degrees. I have sharpened both low and high profile chain, both full comp and skip, ranging from 0 to 10 degrees.

> Is the body of the grinder made of plastic or metal ?

I think everything is some sort of plastic, the base might be potted aluminum, I know it is hard enough where clamping it to the corner of the table does not break it.. Either way, the construction is not flimsy.

> Is the grinding wheel that comes with it ok or should it be replaced,

No.

> what grinding wheel do you recommend for it ?

I have been using the wheels Bailey's sells for the 3/8 chain and the .325 chain. I just use the 3/8 grinding wheel for anything instead of changing the wheel.

> How would you compare the Speedmaster with a higher priced grinder, such as the Oregon ?

I never owned the Oregon, but, like most things, the higher priced items sell for that price because they are worth more because of higher quality or features. I did not need extreme quality or many features.

> Do you find that the Speedmaster will get the teeth about as sharp and uniform as a new chain ?

Uniform yes. As sharp as Stihl, no, as sharp as other chains, yes.

> Any problems with a tendency of the grinder to 'burn' the edge of the teeth ?

No, because that would be operator error  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!