iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Wood Shear

Started by splitter, February 27, 2008, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splitter

Is anyone interested in building a wood shear such as the E-Zee Cord machine. There must be someone I can share and get information from. I am heating with a outside wood furance, and am I glad I am, with the cost of oil going to over one hundred dollars a barrel today.  I have talked to the man that builds these machines by phone, not much help, he's in Canada. I really would like to see, by appointment one of these machines. Doe's anyone know of one in the U.S. ? or please contact if outside the U.S. Anyone have any information? I have researched this type of machine for sometime. But to see one in person would be best. Thanks to everyone this is a great forum. Splitter

sawdust

Interesting looking machine. I like that it splits at the same time as shearing. When you build one see if you can incorporate a self feed. Friend of mine just got his Chomper, incredible machine but he also parted with 30 000.00. It pulls the log in as it processes it, a $4200 option. 
I don't see why a couple powered rollers with teeth could not be used to advance the tree into the machine. Auto feed makes the cycle time faster and allows the operator to get the next tree ready.
sawdust 
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

beenthere

sawdust
The feed is the blade pushing the partly sheared block into the wedge....and at the same time advancing the rest of the log to the new position. At least that was my take on its operation.

The next log is pulled up and into the machine with a winch and cable system...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

splitter

Guys: The E-Zee Cord has a chain that the log lays on when the log is in the troft that advances the wood to the blade. This is controlled by a hyd. valve that controls the hyd. motor that advances the chain. The E-Zee Cord site used to have a video that showed this in use. Thanks for the reply. Splitter

Stephen Alford

Hey splitter;I let each sucessive stick shove the one before it ahead. With this type of system the type of wood is a key variable. You don't want the wood power absolute,its best to build in weak points so the break and bust is controlled. ::) Stephen
logon

splitter

Stephen, What kind of system do you have, by the way thanks for the picture. You being in Canada what can you tell me about the E-Zee Cord? By looking at your picture what moves the wood in the troft? Thanks again, Splitter

Stephen Alford

Hey Splitter: don't know anything about the E-eez cord other than their web site, personally I have never had an easy cd. :D My system was called:"a waste of time and money" for quite awhile. Are you workin on a project or a problem? How many cds are you lookin at? What is the source,size,species and price? I guess what I am trying to say is that one thing I have realized here on the forum is that variables we work with and even language we use are quite different. Some of the best answers here are in the form of questions. I am not trying to be nosy just wondering what you are up against ? ??? Stephen
logon

jpgreen

Some people always gotta stick their nose in where it don't belong...  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

splitter

Stephen, I'm trying to build a wood shear something like the E-Zee Cord machine that uses a blade to cut the wood to length. I'm not so much interested in the splitting part because what I have don't have to be split. I'm feeding a outside wood furnace that heats my house and my water. I learned a long time ago if your going to do something talk to someone that has all ready done it and you'll be away ahead of the game. So right now I'm looking for information or locating a machine I can view. But I have started my shear and have made several pieces for it like mounting the motor on a frame, cutting out the blade etc. Thanks for the reply. Splitter

Stephen Alford

Hey splitter: first I make no claims to be an expert, and there is a serious safety aspect to home made gear. Products made by engineers and professional welders generally remove a lot of the risk.Changing your name from splitter to pawless is not something I would want for sure. However  having said that glad to help if I can. You say you have a motor how big. Some of the other component will be needing are pump ,selector and a cylinder. With comercially made gear the components are all matched and designed to work with each other. Do you weld or hire out. A lot of shears were run off the 3pt hitch on tractors. This gave a stable configuration and engine pump etc all matched. Is that an option for you? There are others on here with more expertise than I  and I am sure once you get to specifics you will not be alone.  ::) Stephen
logon

splitter

Stephen, I'm a old hand at building dump trailers and wood splitters mine split two or four ways hydraulicly the horizontal blade is also hydraulicly controlled  and I include a hydraulic lift that picks those big blocks off the ground. Yes I have been welding since 1967 and a lot of things that goes with it. My motor is a eighteen hp twin cylinder I/C Briggs. I am familiar with matching pump to motor and valve and piston. My pump will be a twenty eight gpm and my piston is seven inches by forty eight inches with a three and one half inch shaft. I realize this is a little long but I got a good deal. The part that is new to me concerning the shear is the hyd. motor that will pull the chain. Now that I have said all this I still would like to see and E-Zee Cord. Its those little things that give you trouble sometimes. Also I would like to know what size chain he used?Splitter

Stephen Alford

Hey splitter: sounds like your well on your way for sure. I started with a 10 hp honda and have worked my way to a 125hp detroit. Started out trying to handle 16' wood but by nature of the crooked wood that was dangerous. Have gone back to 8' which is manageable. The 5 chain live deck can handle a couple cd.  The initial lift from the ground is the back bender.The chain in the bottom of the infeed trough has flat plates perpendicular to the wood. This allows for slip when the wood is comming towards you. You will not require a lot of speed and by nature you will only be using one at a time, so they are simply hooked in series. The sprockets,hydraulic motor and chain were purchased at a local farm supply store. They are common and used alot on manure spreaders. I have never seen one of those E-zee cords shears but a visual sure takes a lot of the guess work out. Good luck with your project. Stephen
logon

Stephen Alford

If you need a motor mount or rubber bushing try using a hockey puck. Stay safe,later...
logon

StorminN

Splitter,

Have you seen the Chomper?

Chomper video page

Chomper home page

Neat stuff.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

splitter

StorminN, yes I've seen a Chomper a little to much machine for me. The E-Zee Cord is a simplar machine and will be easier to build. Thanks for the reply. Splitter

jpgreen

Whoa... that chomper is awesome...  8)

I wonder what it costs.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sawdust

quite a range depending on options and size. 14"super with the auto feature is 30 000.00 delivered.
What a machine!! It spit out two cords of wood while we were trying to figure the thing out.
sawdust

StorminN

jpgreen,

According to the Chomper web site, the smallest manual one is $15,500... but who knows what other options you'd really need / want?

Chomper 14 specs and pricing

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sawdust

The option that makes it automatic is something that makes the difference. Once you start the machine cycling on a tree you walk away and winch in the next tree. It more than doubles your output. I'm starting to sound like a salesman for them.  :D

sawdust

splitter

Stephen Alford, I've been pricing chain today, looked at Morse (sticker chain) $42.20 a foot. Don't think I will be using that. So please tell me what kind of chain you used in your trough? Need to know the size, cost per ten foot length etc. Thanks Splitter

sawdust

Splitter, is the chain for green chain to feed or conveyor chain? I am helping build a conveyor and we are using chains from a round bailer. built shorter cross pieces to get the wood up the ramp. All the sprockets are easily available. the same chain ought to work as feed as well, every four links or so there is a mounting bracket that would accommodate just about anything.

splitter

Sawdust, you stated (green chain) ???? Don't know what that is. I did look at some conveyor chain today, looks good so far. I've also looked at what is called Mill Chain. I haven't looked at hay baler chain but I will. Thanks for the info, and good luck with your project. Splitter

Stephen Alford

Hey Splitter;what has worked for me is I start with a piece of ibeam. Turn it on its  side this is the bottom and backbone for the conveyor. Add the sides and some legs. Sprockets at each end. In the pic ,back row first chain is manure spreader chain 2" sq with lip on one end.This is used in the loading conveyor which carries processed wood. The middle one is hay chain,used on hay escalators, carries small dia wood  in the bottom of one of the infeed troughs. The paddles allow for slip. The back row right is what is used on the live deck. A set of five chains hold and carries about 2 cord. The front chain is in the trough that carries 10"+ wood. It has 1&1/2" pieces of spike welded on one side to carry wood and allow for slip. All was recycled stuff. Slippy day on the Island. Wanted to wish all a great Easter ! Stephen.
logon

sawdust

Hi Splitter, my understanding of green chain is the chain that moves wood sideways on the deck holding the uncut logs. It moves the logs toward the processor another chain feeds them lengthwise into the the actual processor. I may be wrong, would not be the first time! nor the last I'm sure ::)

When I can get there I will take pictures of the chain parts, they are not quite the same as Stephens.

splitter

Stephen Alford, thanks for the reply and the picture. What size is the front chain? This is the one you stated you welded spikes to, also why would you weld spikes on one side only? For me I think I would weld spikes on both sides. As you know this would be the chain that carries the log down the trough, the log laying on top of the chain length wise. Thanks again for the info and the picture I appreciate your help. Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!