iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how not to fell a tree

Started by Quebecnewf, February 25, 2008, 06:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

There is another thing that can make a tree do like the one in the video, another dumb mistake I lived through :D. One winter I had a red fir 2 ft on the butt, the only place to fall it was over a bent over birch that looked like the McDonalds golden arch.There was 3 ft of snow and i didn't want to swim out 50 feet to snip this birch, plus it was under so much stress that it looked scary.I opted to crash the big red fir through it but to my surprise the birch neither broke or pushed over.Instead I was looking straight up at the red fir but 20 ft over my head. I was down in a hole i had dug to get to FS 12" mineral soil requirement and thought about curling up around the stump and hoping for the best. Instead I ran out my escape trail and went to leap on a snag that i had previously cut but it was frozen solid and my corks were dull (dumb mistake number2).After a couple slips I finally caught hold and got on the snag and WHAM! the red fir butt crashed right where I had been  standing. Then I remembered, nothings stronger than an arch! DOOOOOOH!

LEES WOODCO

Better start using open face notches and leaving a hinge or you're gonna end up DEAD!

dnalley

ID4ster, what is this site bar on a chainsaw?  Sounds like something I need to know.Not to sound dumb, but sometimes... Thanks

Jeff

Quote from: dnalley on March 02, 2008, 10:00:40 AM
ID4ster, what is this site bar on a chainsaw?  Sounds like something I need to know.Not to sound dumb, but sometimes... Thanks

Link showing example of Chainsaw gunning sights
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Reddog

Here are what the Stihl Gunning lines look like.
They are the black lines circled in red. They rap around the saw on the recoil,top and chain cover.
My little MS170 even has them.

Kevin

You can use the bar as well.

ID4ster

Dnalley,

The link by Jeff and the picture from Reddog show what the siting bar is and how it can be used. I was taught the importance of using the site bar by some professional fallers that worked in the big old growth timber ofthe Olympic peninsula and southeast Alaska. That timber was too valuable mess up and the fallers had to know their business before they could get a job working in those areas. What the site bar does is to allow you to determine where the tree will fall and hit the gorund before you complete all the cuts. Now I use the humboldt method for falling timber and on my initial cut as soon as I get a bars width into the tree I push the dogs of the saw tight to the bark and then look down the site bar from the back and that is the important part. You can not look at a site bar from the top correctly. You have to get down and look at it from the back just like a gun sight. As you look out the bar you'll see where you're lining up the tree to hit. At this point you can adjust the rest of your initial cut to make sure that the tree is going to hit where you want it to. Say you need to fall a tree between a couple of leave trees and as you look at your site bar you can see that you're not lined up correctly. You can than adjust your initial cut to line up the tree correctly before you match up the rest of your undercut. Once you complete the rest of the undercut correctly you come in with the back cut (I don't use boring cuts except in special circumstances that require it) keeping your hinge the same width and putting a wedge in if necessary and as the tree begins to fall and break off the hinge it will fall in the direction of the undercut that you already know is the correct placement of the tree from using the site bar. Using the site bar also allows you to see if there is anything in the way of where your tree will hit such as a stob or small springy tree so that they can be cleared out before you finish off your undercut. As the other thread says; If you want to do directional falling or are required to do it than you need to be aware of your site bar and know how use it. All makes of saws have them but a lot of people don't use them or use them incorrectly.    
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

dancan

Hey Quebecnewf , I'm glad that you could share the video with us all .
I'll bet there were a few "Notre Pere" going through the head when it got quiet .
I regard those moments as a reminder that we are only passengers and are along for a ride so take care and make sure all your paperwork is up to date and in order smiley_contract

Do you have the video posted somewhere with a larger size ?

Kevin

Double click it and hit the button on the bottom right.

rockenbman

Just goes to show learn somthin new every day.I cut and didnt even now about the sight line.Feel like need to go 2 school or somthing.
I love the smell of burnt fuel pouring out of my Jonesred early in the morning.

asy

Wow,

I'm just catching up with this thread. Not quite sure whether you felled the tree, or it felled you :(

Seriously, though, great learning footage, thanks so much for sharing it. When bad (or embarrassing) things happen it's all to easy to 'shelve them' so as not to risk people possibly laughing or deriding you.

The truth is, we are all (or should be) very grateful for your bravery. I know I learned things from watching that footage, and I will be safer felling trees because of it.

So, thank you.

asy :D

PS: I'm REALLY glad you weren't hurt.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!