iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill on the way

Started by Osagedon, February 25, 2008, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osagedon

Hello everyone I finally made my choice and ordered an LT15 today.  I'm pretty excited but kind of sick at the same time over spending  the money.  I would like to thank everybody who provided me with the feed back on the different mills I  asked about.  Now, I will be bugging you all on how to use the thing.  I 'm green when it comes to sawmilling.  I will post some pics in a week or so if I can figure it out.

Thanks again

Don

Dave Shepard

Congratulations! You will forever have sawdust in your pockets now! I always end up leaving some behind whenever I pay for coffee at the store, I tell them it adds character to the place. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

No worries, osage!!
If you had spent the money on a bass boat, it would sit in the garage all week, all winter and you would have a heck of a time getting your money back.  Maybe some when you sell it.

The sawmill can be a toy, a learning experience, a business, the talk of the town and has great potential for return of your money. 

You did good!    Put that sucker to work. :D

John_Haylow

Congratulations on getting the new mill. 8)  Keep us posted.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

LeeB

Congrats on the first step to a new addiction. There are much worse things to spend your money on. You could be wasting it in the bars and running the roads, getting DWI's. At least it will keep you out of trouble.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Greg Cook

WAY TO GO DON!  Not so sure about it keeping you out of trouble, as LeeB suggested, but at least she WILL know exactly where to find you from now on.
Now, you'll probably want to practice some before you start sawing up that pretty Bodock, so I'll see what I can do to get a load or two of poplar dropped off here and..... ;D

Did you try to get them to throw in some of those 4 degree hook bands for free?  I'd rather have that than a cap.

Congrats, and take pics,

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

beav39

congrats don hope you enjoy it as much as we all do,good choice on the lt15 you wont be disappointed!
sawdust in the blood

thecfarm

Osagedon,make sure you take picture when it is brand new and sawdust clean.Than saw some logs and take more pictures.   8)  What's the big plan for the lumber? Have trees to saw or need to buy logs? Hope I did not ask this all ready.
If you need help with the picture posting,someone will gladly help you with it the same way someone will help you with sawing.Both look like alot at first,but when you get into it's not all that hard.  Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

SWEET!   ;D just remember, it looks alot better when the bunks are scratched up and covered in sawdust and bark..and where the paint comes off the mast from the bearings rolling...don't sweat it..keep sawin'!

just yell if you get stuck puttingit together or getting started...you shouldn't have much trouble..mine came pretty much perfectly aligned...once i got it together it sawed fine right out of the box.

did some 16 ftx21 inch wide cypress yesterday....gonna rip em to 8x, except maybe a chunk of one that is particularly pretty..

that hose you are looking for is under the tank...only took me two days to find it.. ;D still don't know what the little rubber strip is for...tourniquet for when you cut yourself? :D

didja get a logrite?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Osagedon

thecfarm,  I plan on cutting lumber for sheds and a workshop.  Other than that I will be cutting Osage orange for long bows.  Zopi, no I did not get a log rite hook.  Greg, I tried to talk up some freebies and other discounts but they wouldn't budge.   I'm not that great at wheelin and dealing.

Thanks guys           Don

bull

congrats on the LT 15 great choice..... you can pay for it in less than a year w/o a problem...

brdmkr

I like my wife's attitude toward the mill.  She says it is cheaper than a bass boat, a sports car, and another woman!  Seriously, I think your concern shows that you are responsible with your money.  If you are, you will use and it will make you money.

Congratulations.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ErikC

You wanted it and now you've got it. Feel's good, huh? As far as overspending goes, don't worry the mill is only the beginning. There's hundreds more things to buy, and thousands of dollars more to spend. :D

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

379hammerdown

Quote from: ErikC on February 25, 2008, 09:57:52 PM
   You wanted it and now you've got it. Feel's good, huh? As far as overspending goes, don't worry the mill is only the beginning. There's hundreds more things to buy, and thousands of dollars more to spend. :D

Erik
:D :D Thats so true!

Congrats on the new mill, welcome to the club!

zopi

Quote from: brdmkr on February 25, 2008, 09:30:43 PM
I like my wife's attitude toward the mill.  She says it is cheaper than a bass boat, a sports car, and another woman!  Seriously, I think your concern shows that you are responsible with your money.  If you are, you will use and it will make you money.

Congratulations.

that is pretty much my wife...she saw an opportunity to get something she wanted (floors for her addition, and new sides for the barns for me.)while I get a varsity league toy that will pay for itself...we can go through some wood...made 500 lft of
shoe molding the other day from cypress I sawed out...for a house we are remodeling...likewise the toe kicks for the kitchen cabinets...saved about 300 bucks, that I would have spent for 50 bucks worth of (basically) toothpicks..

I'll grant that, all told I've got almost 8 grand wrapped up in the mill, but count up the 16 ft 1x12's (that are hard to get),
the 17ft 2x10's, assorted spalted pecan, misc log bunks and stickers..etc..every stick of it higher quality lumber than
Ye Olde Box-o-Misery store can hope to provide..once you get a few good stacks going and do some math...the $$$ justify themselves rather neatly...but ya gotta be $awin' to get there.. (I'm crushed..can you tell? ;D)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ErikC

Just to add to what Zopi said. My wife wasn't too hot on buying the mill either, but went along anyway. She was sold the first time we did a project (our back porch roof and railing) that saved us a few hundred bucks. And you will be too, even if you don't plan on ever getting paid $1 to run it, all the projects around the house will put you in the black.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

solodan

Better get them projects around the house started first. Once ya start sawin for $$$ your stuff will just have to come last. My house looks like a test site. :-\ :'( ::) ..........................:D

Brucer

I still remember the night I put the deposit on my first WM.  ;D :-\ ;D :-\

Couldn't sleep half the night. One minute it was, "Wow, I actually did it." Next minute it was, "Dang, what if this doesn't work out."

Finally my wife muttered, "Go to sleep. You'll figure out how to make it pay." And she was right -- not that I got any more sleep that night :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

crtreedude

Osagedon,

Cutting wood is pretty easy to get started. Sure, someone who saws all the time knows more and might do better - but you will do fine when you start - and you will learn. And, your experiments will usually still be good.

But, please understand that it is considered bad form to cut into the sawmill - but I have noticed it seems to be a pretty common thing around here...

Our mills is always singing and we are about to get really, really busy. We have more than 400 logs to cut inside our farms this year. Most of these aren't very large - 10 inch diameter or so - but there are some really big ones too - like 3 to 5 foot in diameter.

We have about 120 days of cutting I suspect to finish this year.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

OneWithWood

Welcome to the club, Osagedon  8) 8) 8)

Your long bows will now have a meaning they just could not have had before.

Enjoy the ride!  Have some fun  8) 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Way to go...!  Best money you ever spent. 

You'll be ready come spring while others are still wishin'.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

roger 4400

Osagedon .....You lucky guy..... I,m still wishin'     but my days will come.   Please ask many questions to the members.....I,ll use their replies and won,t look that green...hahaha   Congratsssss                  Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

woodworker9

Congrats, OsageDon!!

I sure hope you didn't get the last one!!  I'll be just a few weeks behind you picking up my new LT-15. 8) 8) 8)  I'm just waiting for all this snow to melt.  No place to even put a mill, right now.  Post some pics when you get er' up and runnin!
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Qweaver

Good on Ya', OsageDon.  I'm still a little amazed at how much lumber I've made over the last two years with my LT15.  Chech out my "Building a Cabin in the Mountains" thread to get an idea of what that LT15 can do.  If I can answer any question...give me a holler.  Have fun and buy plenty of blades.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Osagedon

Thanks guys for all of the positive feed back. Im already feeling better about spending the cash. As for all who offered to help with new mill questions just let me know if I become too much of a pest.  As soon as the mill is here I will start posting some pics.  I remember reading some where that you all like lot of pics.  :D

Don

bedway

Did somebody say Pics??????,,,Where Where?,,, :) bedway

Osagedon

Bedway,

The mill is suppost to be at the Fed Ex loading dock tomorrow (Friday) at 9:00am.  Probably take good part of Sat. to get things figured out.  The pics are on the way hopfully this weekend sometime.  The box of bands I ordered showed up today, I ve been looking at them off and on all day.  They look pretty mean I'm sort of scared to uncoil one :D

Osagedon

bedway

Osagedon, make sure you wear gloves and eye protection when uncoiling them blades. Ive had em take hunks out of me on more than one occation. Would i be a little correct in thinking your a tad excited with anticipation of your mill arriveing? ;D,,bedway

Part_Timer

Enjoy the new machine.   Sawmill has been a great hobby and I've made a lot of freinds because of my mill purchase.  Make sure to wear safety gear and be safe.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

thecfarm

Osagedon,this should take you to,coiling and uncoiling band blades.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=19157.msg275038#msg275038

Since you are new you may not know about the knowledge base.Go to the upper right,find
Forum Extras,
this will take you to,
Knowledge Base,
find Milling Bandmills,
than find
coiling and uncoiling band blades.

Lots of other infro in the knowledge base too.Look around,you will enjoy it.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

Tom's knowledge base article on how to uncoil a band

there are some pictures here somewhere, it's not difficult at all after you learn the tricks, but if you don't know the tricks, they'll tear you a new one....

it's safest to learn how to do it using a lawnmower belt they won't cut you open or smack you quite as hard!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

Quote from: Dan_Shade on February 29, 2008, 09:59:57 AM
[it's safest to learn how to do it using a lawnmower belt they won't cut you open or smack you quite as hard!

but you learn faster with a band.... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beav39

cant wait to see you sawing    great little machine!!!!
sawdust in the blood

Thank You Sponsors!