iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Golden Wood

Started by alpmeadow, February 23, 2008, 09:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpmeadow

Greetings
I found my forum link after three years of silence.  This forum seems like it has alot of experienced woodmizer millers aboard(sorry I don't have a swing mill).  Only 250 hours on my woodmizer lt40hd.  Cut approx 10,000 bdft of cedar for a resort home, mostly rough sawn, siding, trim, banding and some interior t&g.  Had fits with hydraulics until regulator replaced.  Snow too deep for cutting these days, but I hope to have some questions about getting under cover by building new structure for mill.  We still have western red cedar, lodgepole pine and big douglas fir logs in our millyard yet to cut.
Having trouble uploading my album.   I will get back to you.
Have a Great Day
alpmeadow
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

Dave Shepard

Welcome back! Do a search for "saw shed" and "saw shelter", you should get plenty of hits.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

alpmeadow

Well I got some photos uploaded after a few potholes along the way.  Right now the woodlot and milling is part time until we change/simplify the lodge operations.  We want to specialize in servicing a selective niche in the custom building & timberframe industry.  We are in learning mode right now and will be going to the timber frame guild conference in Idaho.  We are considering the merits/costs of forest certification, but it seems too costly and cumbersome for now.  However the BC Govt introduced carbon taxes last week in their budget??  Forest industry in BC will continue to have a tough time.
Have a Great Day
alpmeadow

logwalker

Keep us posted, and do you have any pictures of the resort home? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

alpmeadow

Hi Joe
Below is an image of our lodge I put on the forum gallery.  More images are on the website at www.alpinemeadowslodge.com.  We logged douglas fir and used a bandsaw mill onsite to build the open post & beam interior.(ten years ago).  As we didn't have hydro power onsite for three years until the lodge was 85% complete it was a challenge.  You have to wear many hats around here and have learned alot thru blood, sweat & tears.
Have a Golden Day
alpmeadow

Robert Long

alpmeadow

Welcome and you picked a great sawmill, I too have a WM lt40hd and love it's flexibility!

Now about the lodge......what a great looking place to get away from it all.  Do you need a chef? I was a chef and culinary teacher before retiring and starting up a sawmill service and a great place like that makes me want to get back into the food buz again ;D ;D

Robert

alpmeadow

Hi Robert
The woodmizer can custom cut almost anything you can imagine if you have right wood.  Well come on out, we'll cook something up. 

submarinesailor

Alpmeadow,

Is your Woodmizer one of the ones that worked on the Kicking Horse River Bridge http://www.tfguild.org/news/kickingbridge2004.html,  that was built by the Timber Framers Guild?  I love the pictures of that bridge and plan on walking on it one of these days.  I have had the opportunity to work with several of the TF guild members who helped built it.  Great people!!!

Bruce

alpmeadow

Bruce it was Oseychuk that had his woodmizer mill, cutting the douglas fir for the Burr Arch in the Kicking Horse Timber Frame bridge.  I didn't have a mill at that time. I was there in the early stages chiselling out timbers when I could.  It was an awesome Guild Project and the community has greatly benefitted from their expertise and dedicated effort.  Attached is our wildlife contribution for the day.
Cheers
alpmeadow

Robert Long

alpmeadow;

Thanks for the invite, I will keep it in the back of my mind and should I go out west I will look you up.

I see the bear lost his hat in that work area, does he not know the safety rules out there! :D :D

Robert

alpmeadow

Bear necessities meant I left to bear to inspect my landscaping job alone(above).  I finally found the picture of the Golden Bear, which was visitor to my workshop last summer. I watched him eat dandilions from my open doorway, until he was 10' away.  I closed the door, and he came 5' away sat down and fell asleep against the building.  I saw him 5 more times but thats another story.
alpmeadow

alpmeadow

sorry here is the image.

Coon

Welcome to the forum alpmeadow.  You have a very beautiful place in a very beautiful area of Canada.  I believe I have seen your place from a distance.  I have spent quite a bit of time in the Golden area as well as the Coulumbia River Valley as I have relations there. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Paul_H

alpmeadow,

I remember you from a few years ago and have wondered what ever happened to you.We stopped at Golden Feb 24th for a bite to eat at the Sawmill Restaurant on our way back from Calgary.Also came through in early January and got stopped just East of Golden at the Kicking Horse bridge when a truck and pup, packing recycled glass flipped across the median and sent glass all over 4 lanes.Sand,slush and glass,what a mess.

Good to see th pics of your operation.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

alpmeadow

Howdy
Well if you're travelling thru Golden, you have to come by the lodge, you can see the red roof on the west bench from the TransCanada Highway.  Paul you will have to remind me where we met.  Any how I don't travel much but I do get out.  Please see the modern rail and logging equipment on my visit to Mclean Creek Sawmill at Port Alberni BC.  The Mars water bomber fortunately missed me.
Cheers alpmeadow

Paul_H

Quote from: alpmeadow on March 03, 2008, 11:59:06 AM
  Paul you will have to remind me where we met.  

Here...https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15611.msg221956.html#msg221956

I've seen the Red roof on my way through to Calgary :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!