iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

039 compared to MS390

Started by ErikC, February 22, 2008, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikC

I have a stihl 039 that is 12 or13years old. I have used it more than any other saw I own or ever owned, and it has been great. I run a 28" bar on it, which I have worn out twice, and it still cuts like a champ. Mostly it is a firewood saw, but I have fell quite a bit as a backup saw with it too.I have replaced the muffler and many pull cords. That is all! I hear very few good comments about the MS390, and wonder if they have changed? I would by a dozen more if they are as good as the one I've got.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

joe_indi

Hi Erick,

They are virtually the same, except for some small additions like a decompression valve and a carburator with limiter caps.
Other changes are  more rounded engine and filter covers,clutch shoes with strips like those on the MS 460 and a newer tank vent valve instead of the old tube with a threaded insert.

Joe

woodhick

I have a 390 that I like just fine.  I would be considered a weekend warrior type, not using it every day, but I like the power to weight ratio.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

timberfaller390

I run the 390 magnum exclusivly and I love it. Mine doesn't have a decompression valve though. I run a 28" bar pulls it just fine and will flat out get it like a boy dog with a 20"
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Lanier_Lurker

I don't see a saw called a 390 Magnum available from Stihl - at least in the US.  Where did yours come from?

I have an MS390 that I have been pleased with.  I keep the 20" bar with full comp on it most of the time, but have a 32" bar with full skip that I keep around in case I run into something big - which has happened a couple of times.  It pulls the full skip around the 32" bar just fine- even in oak.

timberfaller390

Lanier been there a few times. mine is the MS390 the MS stands for magnum series
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

I thought MS is motor saw, but in Deutsch. All Stihl saws are MS now aren't they?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Warbird

Just called my local Stihl dealer and per them, it stands for "motor saw". ;D

sawdust

I have a 039, love it. I am thinking that it may need some attention though. starts great but dies easily run the snot out of it and gets over it.

sd
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SawTroll

Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 03, 2008, 12:03:16 AM
I run the 390 magnum exclusivly and I love it. Mine doesn't have a decompression valve though. I run a 28" bar pulls it just fine and will flat out get it like a boy dog with a 20"

There is no such thing as a MS390 Magnum - but nothing keeps people from putting the magnum sticker on any saw they want........ :D :D
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Warbird on April 03, 2008, 08:20:34 PM

Motorsäge
Information collector.

Mad Professor

Step up to a Pro Stihl, look for an unsold 440 or a 460

Dave Shepard

Quote from: SawTroll on April 04, 2008, 09:40:06 AM
Quote from: Warbird on April 03, 2008, 08:20:34 PM

Motorsäge

Thanks, that what I thought it was. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

timberfaller390

Yap yall are right. I was told the MS stood for magnum series but I guess not. Oh well my mistake
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Lanier_Lurker

It weren't a mistake if that is what someone told you.  :)

Glad to see another UGA fan has joined up.  8)

ErikC

I was talking to my neighbor the other day, and he showed me the MS390 he won a few months back in a raffle. I got the feeling it didn't have the torque of my 039, but he hasn't hardly used it, so maybe it still needs some breaking in to get there. We use bigger saws a lot because we have big trees, but this little feller can get a lot of work done, and is nice and easy to run. Guess I'm not the only one who likes 'em after all.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!