iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 056 ignition

Started by iffy, February 22, 2008, 11:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

This has been addressed several times in the past, but I am trying to find more information. I did do a search, but am still short on info. I have a stihl 056 with the bosch electonic ignition. Ignition failure seems to be a very common thing with this model. Mine runs for about 20 minutes and then won't start. Spark is very weak at that time. I let it cool down, spark looks better, and it runs for a little while until it gets hot again.
This saw is obsolete, so there are no new factory Bosch ignitions available for it. Occasionally a used on turns up on Ebay. I understand there has been some success with retrofitting this saw with an ignition and flywheel from a later model saw. Does anybody know the model number of the saw to order parts for, or better yet, does anybody know the part #'s of the parts needed? Thanks, Kent

joe_indi

Kent,
On going through the Stihl parts list I noticed that the Bosch unit has  a flywheel and a separate  'Fanwheel' that goes over it.
But a regular flywheel, which I think is more recent is available.
So is the ignition module.

The part Numbers are:
Regular Flywheel  : 1115 400 1208
Ignition Module : 1108 400 0800

I have uploaded an image into the image archive showing both the flywheel types.

Hope this was helpful for you.

Luck.
Joe

iffy

Thanks. I'll follow this up.

7oaks

Hi...

Following this post I too just recently purchased a decent looking 056.  This weekend was the first time I had to start it up.  Started fine and ran strong for about 20 minutes and made a couple of cuts.  Then it just stopped, dead, while at medium rpms.  Restarted, first pull, but a few minutes later stopped dead again.  Started then stopped again.  This time it wouldn't restart.  I cleaned the spark plug and it still wouldn't start. 

Is this the ignition problem that people refer to with this saw? 

How much would it cost to have the ignition replaced by a Stihl tech if that is indeed the problem?

I bought this saw, with 32 inch bar, in order to slab some black cherry and black walnut crotches I have so don't want to blow a lot of money on it.

Thanks...Carl
Carl

iffy

That is pretty much what my saw is doing. Cold saw will run 20 - 30 minutes, then dies. Leave it set for awhile, it will start and run, usually for less than 20 minutes. I checked fuel, compression, etc. Finally I pulled the spark plug, attached the wire, and held the metal base of the spark plug against a cooling fin and cranked it over. Spark was so weak you had to be in the dark to see it. Tried this again when the saw was cold and had good spark. Took it apart and found the wire from the kill switch to the coil had cracks in the insulation and even some bare spots. Removed all the insulation and covered it with heat shrink. No joy. I found out later that this is a common characteristic of aging Bosch ignitions.

7oaks

Iffy...

Wonder if there is a way to make the saw run cooler.  This weekend, when I get back out to the farm, I'll tear into it and see if the wire is frayed and clean the fan.  I'm also going to stop in at the local Stihl shop and see if they have replacement parts and if so how much.  Let me know if you come up with a solution.  ...Carl
Carl

stonebroke

I was told that Stihl no longer has parts to repair that ignition.

Stonebroke

iffy

Those parts are obsolete. I tried to buy used ones on ebay, but I'm too cheap. Am looking at converting it to the SEM module, which fits quite a few other saws. Have to change both the flywheel and the module.

jacob j.

I think you're going to find that the SEM replacement ignition system that joe_indi referred to is also an expensive route. Brand new those parts are almost $300 and the last two or three used sets on e-bay went for right at $100. I had a brand new early style points type 045 ignition set which is much more reliable than the Bosch solid state and when I offered it for sale on another forum a buyer immediately jumped on it and gave me $125 for it. The 056 is a desirable saw but since the parts have been discontinued the prices are getting high for replacements.

7oaks

J.J.

Thanks for the info.  My saw is out at the farm and it'll be a couple of weeks until I can get out there to tear it apart and see what style ignition it has.  At that point I'll have to start looking for one type of replacement or the other.  I haven't gone to the local saw shops yet because I just don't know what parts I really need...Carl
Carl

Mad Professor

I think the SEM ing. was used on some of the cutoff saws (TS 350?) and those are more plentiful. I believe you need to switch flywheels from the Bosch type.

joe_indi

Quote from: Mad Professor on March 16, 2008, 11:56:08 PM
I think the SEM ing. was used on some of the cutoff saws (TS 350?) and those are more plentiful. I believe you need to switch flywheels from the Bosch type.
That is correct.
The SEM ignition is also used on the 08S saw and BT360 Auger.It comes also on e  the P840 /845 water pumps that is still in production in Brazil.
You will need a new flywheel though. I checked the local prices its the equivalent of about $ 60/- here (for the flywheel).

Joe

7oaks

Okay, this past weekend I was able to get to the 056 again and determined it has the Bosch ignition.  I was able to remove the fan but not the flywheel.  I couldn't pry it off and didn't want to try too hard for fear of breaking something.  I know there is a special tool for pulling the SEM module's fan/flywheel combo.  Does anyone know of a trick for pulling the flywheel on the Bosch ignition? 

The local Stihl shop offered me a well used SEM ignition for half the price of of a new one which would end up being somewhere over $100 but I'd like to pull the Bosch ignition first and see if the problem might just be the insulation on the kill switch wire.

I did set the plug gap and clean the saw thoroughly hoping better air flow would keep the saw cooler.  It seemed to work as I cut with it for half a tank of gas (nearly an hour) before shutting it down for the day.  I'll be out to the farm again this coming weekend and try running it again.  It was in the 40's and windy last weekend so easier to keep it running cool - though I was cutting some pretty big, old black locust logs into firewood.

Thanks for any suggestions on pulling the Bosch flywheel!

Cheers...Carl
Carl

joe_indi

Try this:
Fit the nut so that it is  level with the end of the crankshaft.
Apply some force on a screwdriver which is put between the flywheel and the crankcase.
Tap the nut smartly with a hammer.
You might have to rotate the flywheel once or twice and repeat the tapping before the flywheel comes off.
Good luck

Joe

7oaks

Thanks Joe...I'll give that a try this coming weekend...Carl
Carl

timberfaller390

the screwdriver and hammer trick works wonders I've used it on everything from chainsaws to truck steering wheels. As for the ignition there used to be something called an Atom Chip that converted points ign. to pointless electronic ign. about 8 years ago was the last time I bought one and it was about nine bucks. Whenever we had a saw or any other small engine that started giving a weak spark we would clean the contact surfaces on the flywheel and magneto and if that didn't work we would stick in an Atom Chip and it would run like a champ. I don't know if they still make them and I don't have any expieriance with the 056 so I don't know if this will help or not.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

foggysail

Yes... this is an old thread but there may be folks who are interested in a solution to the Stihl -056 ignition problem.

Below is the URL to my fix that WORKS. The fix includes pictures showing how to implement the fix along with a new part (capacitor) needed for the repair. The fix does NOT affect the saw's timing.  Enjoy---

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/success-just-repaired-stihl-045-056-bosch-electronic-ignition.256095/

Foggy

healer

Still on the Stihl 056 spark subject, I have just got one going with an 041 unit. Aparently 041,045,056,Dolmar 123 are all the same. cheers Healer

John Woodworth

Just something to pass on, the o45's ( I assume I the ign. Is the same) used to blow the ign. If cranked with the switch off, we used to disconnect the switch and kill it with the choke, not the case here but thought I'd pass it on. I've never had a problem with my 056 it's been the 034  that's been hungry for ignitions for me.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!