iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices in Vermont

Started by hosslog, February 21, 2008, 06:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hosslog

Howdy Folks, Would like to get some information if I could.
Here's the deal.. My BIL wants my son to do some logging for him. Mostly pine. BIL has a band mill and would saw the logs. Bil wants to select cut about 50 acres, so this isn't just a few logs. Then they would need to maket the lumber. Are there any lumber buyers in Vt? How do you find them?

Rick Alger

Britton Lumber in Fairlee Vt is one place I know off hand. The Sawlog Bulletin lists buyers and I believe it's still on line. Irving in Dixville Me and Hancock Lumber in Bethel Me buy roadside in NH and would probably go to Vt for good quality.

Pine isn't moving well right now.

A couple other names - Piette Lumber, Irasburg Vt - Kendall & Son, Bethel Vt - Allard Lumber, Brattleboro Vt.

beenthere

hosslog
Will your son get paid regardless of the sale of the lumber? 
If not, then maybe he should look for something else to do for pay. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Berkshire

I have a few questions to ask you. I take it when you say pine you mean eastern white pine? Where in VT is the wood lot located? Are you planning on selling only lumber or will there be any logs that you will be selling? There are a lot of factors go into this, such as size of trees, grade, mill capabilities, transportation, etc. if you want to maximize your profits. I'd like to help you with this but I need a little more information.

hosslog

Rick, Thanks for the info. That is what he is looking for.

Beenthere,Getting paid is why HE is looking into the prices.

Berkshire, The job is on the west side of the state,not to far from Rutland. The basic idea is to do a timber stand improvement. All his experience is with hardwoods so any advice about cutting and grading softwoods would be appreciated

Dave Shepard

Berkshire, welcome to the Forum. You can't be too far from me.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rick Alger

For the cutting part, there'll be a lot more limbing. He won't need or want the big saws he probably uses in hardwood.

He won't want to cut the pine in the warm months because of the chance of blue stain unless something is arranged to move the wood quickly.

He probably knows this but if he's using horses, it's best to start at the back of the lot to keep out of the slash.

For the grading part, he shouldn't cut a stick till he's got a deal and a spec sheet in hand. They all have different grades and different defects.

beenthere

QuoteWill your son get paid regardless of the sale of the lumber? 

Quote from: hosslog on February 22, 2008, 07:35:28 PM
.....................Beenthere,Getting paid is why HE is looking into the prices.

I was thinking along the lines that your son should get paid up front for his logging...but not have his logging pay held back until the sawn lumber sells...that shouldn't be your son's load to carry on into an unknown future.
From the original question, it sounded like the logging was going to be your son's investment in some package deal that wouldn't materialize unless or until the sawn lumber was sold by the BIL.

I may have missed the point you were making.  ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Berkshire

Some of the places you may want to check out would be:

Mill River Lumber in North Clardendon, VT
Lamell Lumber Corp. in Essex Jct, VT
Carris Reels in Rutland, VT. Their manufacturing may be in Enfield, CT though.
Brattleboro Kiln Dry & Milling Co. in Brattleboro, VT they are a division of Cersosimo Lumber Co.

Sometimes you can find markets on this website if you search around. www.globalwood.org/
I would also put ad in your local paper and at local businesses that will allow you to.

I'm not too too far from you, I'm over in Goshen.

Thank You Sponsors!