iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle L200 question?

Started by woodhick, February 20, 2008, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I just purchased a used Nyle L200 system.   I am going to have to build a chamber for it.  I have a set of Nyle plans for this unit  and will use them as a guide.  My question is most of my needs are drying hardwood lumber for myself and other cabinetmakers.   For that most of my lengths are 8'&10' .  I would like to have the ability to dry 16' for  the very few times I would need to dry framing lumber or long lengths of hardwood for trim.   Can I build my chamber 17' long and install removable baffles to block chamber down for the shorter lengths?  I was thinking of two baffles, placing one on each end and still centering the lumber stack in the chamber.  I was going to build my kiln carts (2) so they can be hooked together for the long stock or used seperatley for two 8' stacks if needed.  Thanks for any help.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

karl

That's the way we do it- scrap plywood strips tall enough to reach our fan wall and over lapped to make up the distance between end walls and stack. A few screws or nails to keep them in place and some bubble wrap or whatever is handy to plug odd holes on uneven stacks
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

ARKANSAWYER

My chamber is 12 ft wide and 20 ft long with 10 ft side walls.  This allows me to put 4000 bdt of lumber in there at one time.  I can stack lumber 7 ft wide and 7 ft high and 18 foot long in there. 
ARKANSAWYER

OneWithWood

Instead of making a single stack in the center and using extended baffles make a long and narrow stack and use your normal baffles.  This will give you a better air flow.  IOW keep the distance to the end walls even, vary the distance of the stack to the back wall.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodhick

Thanks  everyone for the input.  I picked the kiln unit up today.  Very good/like new condition Nyle L200 for $1,000.  He did not have the circulating fans but still couldn't pass it up.  I stopped at a truck dealer that's about a mile from the house to inquire about an insulated truck body(I noticed he had several on trucks), and he talked like he could come up with me a body real reasonable.  He was getting ready to send two truck out next week to have the bodies removed.  I explained that I did not need the refer unit just the body.  Should hear sometihng from him next week.  I was considering a shipping container and isulating it myself.  Would like to here how others have done that, how much ins?   On my way. 8)
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Riles

I have a 40 footer, insulated, that I picked up for $3000 (plus $250) for delivery. Been using it for storage while I build the pole barn, workshop and the new home. Eventually I expect to turn it into a kiln.

It's pretty good for storage, but it pays to be neat. Access to the back becomes difficult when the compressor and generator are parked in the middle and the shelves and lumber are on either side.  ::)

You have to know where you want it, I can't imagine trying to move it now. I haven't noticed any condensation problems yet, but there is water at the doors after a rain. I don't know if the leak is at the door or it's running that way, the container is on a slight slope towards the door.

The doors are a pain to open and close. I think it was mentioned in another thread that one of the reasons they get rid of the units is because of the doors. There are lots of patches on the roof and the reefer was clearly shot.

Good luck, keep us in the loop come construction time.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

woodhick

Well I found me an insulated truck body today. ;D  22' long .  I have a question on fans.   I have  three fans that came from a greenhouse.  The fan blades measure at 15 1/2".  Do you think they would be sufficient?  They are a high speed fan and not the real slow type.   

Don_Lewis

Look on the motor label. If it says "thermally protected" or internally protected, they probably will not work

DR_Buck

Woodhick,

For the money buying a insulated truck body would be cheaper.   I insulated a regular truck box and it cost big time $$$$$ .   

Works great though.    DR_Bucks DH Kiln
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodhick

Thanks Dr Buck,  the truck dealer right up the road called today and told me he got the reefer unit pulled and the bed was mine.  For $1,000.  It's a 22' aluminum box.    He told to swing by tomorrow and he put a set of dealer tags on truck so I could drive it down to my place and remove the box.  It also has  a lift gate.   ??? Wonder what I can use that for? 

Thank You Sponsors!