iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another day, another dollar or 'More things to fix'

Started by farmerdoug, February 19, 2008, 11:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

Well this afternoon went well.  I went out and started the tractor/loader/backhoe to cleanup the log lot for logs a tree guy wants to deliver.  When I started up the loader I heard a funny clang.  But it was quiet after that so I gave it a little fuel and boy did heck break loose.  I shut done the engine all of the time thinking it busted a rod. 

Just a great way to spend time and money.  While I was looking over the engine block for outside damage I notice dirt on the ground under the front of the loader.  I reach up under there and low and below the hydraulic pump shaft was loose.  The frount universal gave out. 

A call to the dealer tells me that they should have everything in stock.  The cost will be between $100-400 depending on which shaft it is. ::)  Costly but alot better than a rebuilt engine.  I know where I am going to be tomorrow. :D

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Stump Jumper Jr

thecfarm

At least you have it trained.You wasn't in a hard spot with it.I suppose being the hyd shaft if you would of had logs on the loader it would of came down very fast. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmerdoug

I had it sitting with the front bucket tipped so I could actually work on the frony easily.  Good thing I do that when I park it to keep water out and less area to freeze down.
Doug
Fargo, MI

Quartlow

It's not my fault Doug!!!  :D oh though it sounds like something that would happen to me
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Bibbyman

It seems like it's always more likely something will break down in cold weather.  That's way I've decided it's just better to set in by the fire until it warms up.

BTW,  close the door please.  It's been cold enough, long enough down here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

farmerdoug

Well a new shaft cost me $200.  Well all I have to do this afternoon is bolt it on. :)

Bibbyman,  I was always told to share. ;)
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

It is back together and the log yard is plowed just in time for 0°F tonight. :o

Had to unbolt the hydraulic pump to get the shaft back in but we did it in an hour with cold fingers.  Ever notice that the broken parts come out easier than the new ones go in. ::)

Here is a pic of the broken shaft.  I forgot to take a pic of the new one before we installed it. ::)

Doug
Fargo, MI

isawlogs

:o  That sure dont look good . I did see a few of those laying in the hills when we was hauling wood , never a good thing to here hear or see .  :-\

Glad to here hear you where able to get it back together without taking out a morgage .  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

At least it happened at home and not in some far away land where you have no tools.  I had to put front brake pads on the Dodge after we got here to Fla.  A stop at Harbor Freight and three trips to the Advance Auto store on the corner and I was in business  ;) :)  Good to hear you got it back in service without too much trouble and it didn't wreck anything else when it broke  :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Quartlow

Thats why I never travel without a pile of tools. Last trip to GA I pulled the tranny out of the pickup and put in a front seal, in the parts store parking lot  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Coon

Quartlow,  you sound like a mobile garage...  Just like me earlier this week.  The fuel pump in the truck gave out.  I dropped the tank out on the side of the road and changed the pump.  Had to use a couple of  large frozen snow lumps to hold up the tank while I bolted it in place.  Should have seen the looks I got by passers by.  It was only -15C at the time. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!