iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wavy Cuts

Started by millit, February 19, 2008, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millit

:-\ I am useing W/M 4% blades when they are new they cut like a champ when i get them back from resharp they will not cut for crap. am i the only one having this problem? I must have at least 45 blades that will not cut HELP!!!! ??? >:( smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3

beenthere

millit
I'll bet resharp can help you with that problem...a lot more than we can.  But am sure there will be someone who can try. 

45 blades that won't cut....something amiss there.  ::)

More details would be helpful....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Have you tried a new blade to prove that it is the blade and not the mill?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Sparty

Flip the band around so that the teeth face the wood ;D ;D

LOGDOG

Do you know for sure that they were re-sharpened to 4 degrees? If you didn't tell them it "possible" they were run at 10 degrees which would make all the difference in the world. Take a new 4 degree and overlay it onto the re-sharp blade. Is the tooth angle identical? if not that may be your problem.

LOGDOG

millit

When the blades are new they cut great and no i did not tell them that they are 4% never had a problem with resharp before.  ??? Mybe Marty can explain what i am doing wrong Thanks guys

LOGDOG

Did you compare the tooth profiles just in case? Stranger things have happened.

LOGDOG

ladylake

Maybe a new guy working at resharp.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LOGDOG

It's one of those things where you have to ask yourself, "Why wouldn't 45 blades cut right if the logs are exactly the same and nothing on the mill was knocked out of alignment prior to the blades being sent in to Re-Sharp?" Either all the blades are set up differently than they were previously or the mill is out of alignment. With a NEW blade on I'd take my blade guide alignment tool and check to see if there's any tilt up or down in my blade guide rollers. I'd also check the alignment of the blade guide arm to make sure that it's applying the proper pressure throughout the width of the cut. It's just a process of elimination.

LOGDOG

logwalker

It is very unlikely that WM could make that kind of monumental mistake. The difference between 4d and 9d would require several heavy passes. I could see maybe one blade but not 45 blades. I guess they could have missed the set but again not likely. Check one if you have capability. Just looking at one in a good light should tell the story on the set. Go back to fundamental setup of the guides and belt tension. Keep us posted on the results. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

LOGDOG

I seemed to remember us going down a similar road before so I searched your comments millit. This is what I found:

"4   General Forestry / Sawmills and Milling / Re: wavy boards  on: December 15, 2007, 12:58:50 PM 
I do find the 4% blades are the best. How ever i have sent my 4% back to be sharpened (2 boxes) they both came back with green tag mark 9/29.  Can you request all of your blades be set at 4 %? "

Apparently that scenario has happened before. I wonder if it happened again?

LOGDOG

logwalker

Makes me wonder if he even got his blades back. You have a good memory LogDog.  ;)

LOGDOG

Like a steel trap baby!  ;)  ;D

LOGDOG

loggjamm

smiley_beertoast  Am somewhat familiar with millit's dilemma. A new WM blade will cut great. We put a resharp blade on to finish sawing a squared up cant and we get wavy cuts. Yesterday, we tried a different brand of blade and it cut perfect. When it started getting dull it still cut perfect, just a little slower. Cant( :D) help but think there's a problem with resharp. If it was a problem with the mill, why do new blades work?
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

millit

Well Folks logjam and i work together alot i tryed a 9% from woodmizer today (sunday) it did the same thing that the 4% did went back to the other brand and it worked fine I can not beleive it is the mill may have some wood mizer resharps for sale and go to another blade smiley_dizzy smiley_furious

LOGDOG

I didn't think it was the mill. I still have to ask, "Have you held up the re-sharp blade directly overlaying it onto a new 4 degree blade to see if the tooth angle is the same?" The 4 degree will be more straight up and 9 or 10 degree tip will lean more to the right. How many times have you had that batch of blades re-sharpened? If you had a setter you could check the set and a protractor would let you check the tooth angle. What kind of wood are you sawing?

LOGDOG

beenthere

millit
Am I correct in thinking your 4 and 9 are degrees, not percent??

There is a degree symbol in the Special Characters drop down list above the reply message box.  At least I am assuming you mean °, and not %.   :) :)
Hope this helps. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MartyParsons

:o Did you call Floyd at Wood-Mizer North East Resharp? Check and make sure they were ground at the 4 degree. If you have a 4 degree blade line it up with the same blade profile, 4, 9, 10 etc. The Resharp blade should cut better that a new blade.  :-\ We have had great response from customers about the service we provide. Please call Floyd at North East Resharp he will get the issue resolved.  :)
If you need me to help let me know!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Resharp Floyd

There should be a tag from Resharp on your box.  A white one "4/32" would mean they are 4deg.  A green one "9/29" would mean they are 9deg.

millit

Thanks Marty and Floyd and others .No i do not have a new 4d to compare with but i do have the little plastic blade thingy from wood mizer to determin the d and that seems to be real close but not perfect. I don"t now what to do ? Floyd i will call you ,Because i am lost thanks ???

MartyParsons

Floyd will get you fixed up.
I was out on a rescue yesterday for a simlular issue. Logs are frozen, he was sawing Hickory and Black Birch. LT70, we adjusted the drive belt and set the tensioner to the proper adjustment and it cut fine. The problem was he was sawing with out tension on the blade.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

MartyParsons

Millit, did you get your issue resolved?

millit

8) Yes I did and THANKS  :D smiley_clapping To Floyd in Hannibal and to you Marty .It is kind a long story But here goes I purchased new blade guild rollers and rebuilt them around sept.1 2007 along with that a brand new box of 4d blades .I think 2 boxes cut like a champ sent them back to get shapred kept sawing with the new ones went to use the resharp and first blade made a dive.  :-\ try another dived :o . No i am  >:( . After a while tryed another name brand blade worked fine ???. Well i think i know the problem. The blades are not being sharped right. Wrong. I talked Floyd he said send them back to me .I did that. He called me aday or two latter and said every upward tooth is flat told me it is hitting something. so i investigated and found out that the teeth are rideing on the rollers.To make longer story shorter . I had gotten 1 1/2 inch rollers and i am useing 1 1/4 inch blades .So when blades are new they make the roller just fine when they are sharped 1 time it takes just enough metal away to knock the set out the first time it goes into gear. But Marty saved me. and Woodmizer is helping me out with the right rollers. smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_applause Thanks again .OH also i DO NOT have any woodmizer blades for sale
        Thanks Millit

Husky

I remember when woodmizer sharpened my 9 deg to 4 deg???? They must have thought something was odd in doing that????

LOGDOG

Glad you got it figured out Millit. Knew it had to be something simple.

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!