iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill tool box

Started by jdtuttle, February 17, 2008, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

I'm new & just bought a used LT40HD. Sawn about 200BF so far & realize I'm hooked. Looking for advice on what to put in the tool box when sawing away from home. I know the usual stuff. Level, blades, spare alternator, belts. What are some of you guys carrying?
jim
Have a great day

bandmiller2

JD welcome,you will need a complete snapon roll around tool box,and even then you won't have what you need.Just kidding,start with a few simple hand tools when you have need of somthing add it to your box.Plastic wedges axe and a bow saw are handy when you have to back out of a cut or broken band jamed in the log.  Some of what ever lubricants you use.Be sure to have a simple first aid kit bandaids est.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ARKANSAWYER

3/8 to 1 inch opened end wrenches.  Channel lock pliers and a good set of allen wrenches.  flat tip and phillips tip screw drivers. Test light.  Two logrite cant hooks (48 or 60 and a 78 A.S.S.) spare tire and a small chainsaw.  Extra gas and oil, spare blades, B57 belts, calculator, pen, sawing contract and gloves.  Sense of humor and a strong back will come in handy more days then not.  Oh yea a digital camera, cause we like photos.
ARKANSAWYER

StorminN

arky,

What is a B57 belts calculator?

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Dan_Shade

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14478.0.html

I carry a whole pile of stuff.  Gov't surplus ammo cans are great for keeping stuff in them.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jdtuttle

Keep em coming. This is the kind of stuff I need to know.
What is a B57 belts calculator anyway?
I have a construction master calculator for BF.
jim
Have a great day

ARKANSAWYER

OOPS! I forgot a commma,,,,,   so I went back and put it in.  The B57 belts are what your blades ride on.  Some times a blade will break and cut one in half.   The calculator is so you can tally the bill 'cause you is so worn out that you can't count any more.
ARKANSAWYER

DR_Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

isawlogs

I carry most of the above , plus , I have an alternator and brushes for the hydraulic pump motor . A couple of return springs for the hydraulic levers , extra fuses , there are some inside the fuse box , check if they are there  ;) Spare spark plugs .

Have fun sawing .  :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DWM II

All the above plus I like to keep a couple of wedges. When I brake a band in the middle of a cut, I drive them in just behind the band so it will slide out a bit easier.
Stewardship Counts!

Gilman

Digital multimeter has been one of the handiest trouble shooting tools with the WM 800# in my cell phone.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Corley5

Zip ties and black tape  :) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

a bench brush for brushing sawdust off the mill when it gets too thick..I keep that and a plastic 6" drywall knife handy..great
for scraping/brushing excess sawdust off the lumber as it goes in stickers...

spare water line.. ::)

teflon tape..

aluminum yardstick..

lumber crayons..keep the kids busy if nothing else..

for my LT-15..I keep a couple of masons blocks and masonry twine..for truing the mill bed when I re-level it..

button level..or a clinometer if you're anal about it..

hatchet or a foot ax..

Thermos of coffee... ;D

no matter what you have with you..something you don't have will break..seems to be the first rule of chainsaws too..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: isawlogs on February 17, 2008, 07:09:21 PM

I carry most of the above , plus , I have an alternator and brushes for the hydraulic pump motor . A couple of return springs for the hydraulic levers , extra fuses , there are some inside the fuse box , check if they are there  ;) Spare spark plugs .

Have fun sawing .  :) :) :)

When we picked up the Wood Mizer LT40 Electric, the previous owner said that he had blown the fuselink in the little box near the battery box. He had hooked up a little 18gauge  :o jumper wire so he could demonstrate the mill for us. He had two new fuse links drop shipped to us from WM. By the time we got the mill and generator setup, I had forgotten all about the jumper wire. :-[ Well, the head would barely travel back and forth, and I couldn't figure it out right away. I started checking connections, at the battery, opened the little box where the fuse link hides. Hey! Theres a little black wire with all the insulation melted off! :o I was about to go to the shop to get the new fuse links when I noticed two spared bolted to the inside of the box. That fixed the travel problem. So always remember to to look for spares. ;)

I second the multi meter. I buy them at Sears, they are usually $20, and worth every penny.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rbarshaw

One of those little hatchets that have a claw like a hammer has and metal that runs all the way thru the handel.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

MikeH

I had a computer problem once and needed jumper cables to run the electric up/down to put the thing away and tow home. :(

shopteacher

Bottle of Jack Daniels and a blow-up doll for the slow times. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

antiseptic.  good idea to have stuff to dig out a splinter if you happen to get one.

I keep a first aid kit behind the seat in my pickup with stuff to hopefully help in the event of an incident.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

shopteacher

Oh, I thought that was a patch kit for the doll.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

zopi

just bought one of those fat max hammer puller combo thingies...aside from being a
neat impulse buy.. ::)..it looked like just the thing to reach down and snatch slabs and
boards loose from the cant...prolly help to keep the dog in line too... :D

It' got  a hook that is sized for 2x and 1x plus a spike...

i'll report on how well it works...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

Does it look like the LogRite Hookaroon? 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slabs

Looks like Dan-Shade figured it out.  I make those little pocket-sized "Splinter Pickers" on my metal lathe out of 1/4" brazing rod or aluminum stock.  For those that didn't go to my gallery for the full story, I had to include the "Neebish" excuse for an antiseptic as a background.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!