iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 340D skidder

Started by Maineloggerkid, February 16, 2008, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineloggerkid

HAs anyone ever seen heard of this small skidder. Ive seen a couple, but would appriciate some info and maybe pics.
                                                                                Thanks,

Maineloggerkid.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

stonebroke

It was only offered by JD for a couple of years in the early 80's . The blade was a option. Did not sell as well as JD thought it would.  It would be a neat skidder for thinning .

Stonebroke

Maineloggerkid

Ya, thats what I was thinking about getting one for, but I want to learn more info about it before buying one. I dont want to find out about the quirks after I buy one.

Stephen Alford

Hey Mainelogger : The 330D was similiar to the 340D except the 340D was turbo charged. I have some specs on the 330D to give you if that would help. Engine hp 76.flywheel  70 hp,13495lbs,ground clearance 18",Ht 9.3' width 7.7',length17.5',Wheelbase7.8',1985 price can $65400.directdrive winch,line pull bare drum10400kg,full drum 6660kg,line speed bare drum 36m/min,full drum 59m/min,hydraulics-closed center constant pressure,variable displ.pump 90 l @ 14 Mpa, operator controlled differential lock-up, inner planetaries,oscillation on front end + or - 15 deg.  Publication by FERIC Oct 1985. Hope this helps.  :)  I only save the good stuff,really  ;D Stephen.
logon

Maineloggerkid

THanks, but do you know how they performed compared to the 440s and 540s, because I run those, and then I would have something to compare to.

Stephen Alford

Hey Mainelogger; I have never owned a JD skidder ,but have  suffered from JD envy a time or two but I blame that on dehydration. What are the key variables your up against ? Stephen ???
logon

Maineloggerkid

I need a skidder that can haul a good jag on many types of ground, but  one that is also small enough for thinning cuts on camp lots. So basically, Im looking for a max output in a little frame. I would like to stick with johndeere because that is what ive always run, and I have done alot of mechanic work on them as I worked in a logging garage before venturing into the world of logging on my own.

Stephen Alford

Hey Mainelogger; JD is a great machine and with your experience the parts and their availability is knowledge you already have.  My situation is probably different from yours but if it helps this has been my experience. I work alone so you have to stay focused and that is not possible if your gear does not match the task. As with any tool box generally more than one tool is required.  You don't have to have them all at once but you have to be sucessful with the first in order to be around to get the second.  My biggest power requirement is to be able to push a log truck so product can leave the site. Here there is no replacement for displacement. 85 to 100hp min. If a trucker knows he can get a push if he needs one he will come. I use a 65 hp 4x4 in the tight spots and with the 3 pt hitch and remotes you have several tool options for site work. To me there must be reasons why the smaller skidders have not been able to hold their market share while the mid-range 440and 540 have become legends. ::) Stephen.
logon

Maineloggerkid

I appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Probaly they lost the market share due to thier size,too small to make a living with.Just can't haul as much with it.Time is money.I only cut on my land so I would probaly get a long fine with a small skidder.Do less damage to the ground and the woods,all due mostly to the fact less is being brought out at a time.With only 18 inch clearance,roads need to be thought out better too.A bigger skidder can make more money than a small one at most jobs.But a small is easier to get around the woods with.Just depends on what you have in plan for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maineloggerkid

Ya, the ground clearance is the only downfall im seeing so far. Ive had my share of scary moments in a skidder, and I dont feel like having anymore if I can help it.

grassfed

I think that the 340D has a 4-276 engine.

The 440 had a 4-202 and the 440A, B had a 4-219.

The 340D should have a good deal more power.

I have seen a couple and they look to be about the same size as the 440 I think that they weight more and they always seem to cost twice as much. I looked at the JD parts web site and it looks like they only had syncro shift.

You might want to look at the 440C or D as they are not much bigger. They also have the 4-276 engines and since there are more of them around you can probably get a better deal on one.   
Mike

Frickman

The 340 was brought out at the same time that everyone was pushing for bigger and even bigger skidders, so it was only made a couple of years. I've never seen one in person, but they look like they're about the size of a 440. There's another one advertised in southern Mississippi in one of the logging classified papers.

I've been running 440's for years and years, and the 440B is in my opinion the best all around machine ever put in the woods. I cut in alot of sensitive and tight areas and I've had no problems getting around. If you get into the C and D models you're getting into a bigger machine. Also, they don't have a convenient storage area for your saws behind the winch. Try to stay away from the straight 440 and 440A if you can, as some parts are getting hard to find. If it is cheap enough and in good shape you'll be OK, just don't be paying alot for a 440A.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Maineloggerkid

would tend to lean more towards a 440C/D or a 540B/D, as that is what I have run, but I was wondering about a 340 down th road as a thinning machine.  Right now I use a johndeere 4120 with a fransguard winch, but next year after college I am going to buy a skidder.

J_T

ave had the J D  440  8) Got a Tj 225 wont go back much easear to work on for an older skidder  ???
Jim Holloway

blkhillsvt

I actually own a 1985 John Deere 340 D cable skidder and really like it. The frame structure is the same as the 440 C but the 70hp motor does not have a turbo(which you really don't need with this unit). It has a hydraulic hand brake instead of the cable hand brake offered on the 440 C. As stated already it only weighs 13,500lb and is excellent on diesel, this skidder pulls its weight in gold too. If you want to tread lightly and not damage the woods then this is the skidder for you.
JD 340D cable skidder,Stihl MS440,Stihl 046
Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves

Black_Bear

Brownie,

So, you finally found something that will pull them big deer out of the Glover woods, eh? Where did you end up finding the skidder?

Make sure you don't cross that property line Stevie kept moving on Moffatt, hard telling where it ended up. There probably isn't any wood left over there anyway.  ;D

You keeping that Mason kid in line?

Ed 

blkhillsvt

Hey Ed,
Yes I got the skidder last October from Northern Michigan, its in really nice shape. I don't think I will be crossing over there to Moffats old land either....the new owners have had the rest stripped off twice since you guys cut it. I am going to start cutting Poplar soon, I guess the markets are good for it. I haven't seen Mason much except once in a while on Thursdays at the course, but he got back with his woman and is not coming anymore.
JD 340D cable skidder,Stihl MS440,Stihl 046
Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves

Thank You Sponsors!