iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw Advice

Started by oregon101, February 14, 2008, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregon101

I'm currently shopping for a new saw.  I will be using it primarily for cutting  firewood and while camping.   I will be cutting 4-5 cords a year.   I'm considering the following saws:
Husky 350-the local dealer has 2 demo saws left with warranty for $290
Husky 346XP New Addition-$480 from local dealer
Husky 450e-$380 from local dealer
Stihl 260 Pro-$539 from local dealer
I'm not a pro in any way but have worked in the logging industry years ago and appreciate good tools.  Locally I have one Husky dealer but 3 Stihl dealers.  Latter this year I will be getting a larger saw for the real big stuff but money has me starting with smaller saw.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!

pappy19

You might look at a Shindiawa as they have some great light weight powerful saws. Look at their 352s and 377s.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

z71mike

There's no simple answer without personal preference coming into the picture.  But what I will say is you can make a logical decision on your own by looking at a very important factor.

How proficient/interested are you with doing your own maintenance?  With 3 Stihl shops and 1 Husky shop.....
Not very - buy a Stihl
Somewhat - Stihl or Husky
Completely - any brand

Once you dial in what the logical choice is, then you can start looking at features and prices.

ladylake

Out of the list you gave the Husky 346NE, it will cut way faster than the others and is a Pro saw that should last. The Stihl MS260 is also a good saw but slower and way over priced.  The other 2 Huskys a homeowner models that are underpowered and almost all plastic.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

oregon101

I did include the 346XP new addition in my list.  I think that is the 346NE you are talking about.  I see on the Husky website that the 346 comes as an Etech model and non Etech.  Is anyone better than the other?

rebocardo

How big are the trees you are dropping and what kind of wood? That is how I pick my saws.

Big difference between cutting pine, cedar, sweetgum, hickory, and oak.  Though I have done it for kicks, I usually do not reach for a saw smaller then 50cc when doing hickory even when the tree is only 10 dbh.

Except for liking the smaller Stihls and putting up with the different chain size because I do not use them much, I try to buy saws that run the 3/8 .050 gauge chain as you have a wider variety of chain choices.

Plus, it is a much better and faster chain for oak instead of the smaller .325 stuff. Especially if you do firewood like I do and split the round with the grain using the chainsaw.

Cut4fun

I know this wasn't on your choice, but is great when on a budget and for the homeowner firewood cutter types. Poulan Pro 330 54cc comes with 3/8 FC 050 22" b+c (to much bar for hardwoods with bar buried IMO, been there) for $279. Magnesium case with a 2 piece muffler that is easily opened to let it breath and carb with pull off limiters to allow for carb adjustments.
Just my 2cents for homeowner types.

ladylake

I think we're talking about the 346xp new edition which is 50cc instead of 45cc old 346xp. I've run the 45cc model which cuts good but you need to keep the RPM high when cutting. The NE should have a wider power band. For sure get the non Etech muffler if you can, I've heard the Etech one runs way hotter and less power.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John_Haylow

You can't go wrong with the Stihl or the Husky. We use the Stihl MS260 pro daily and they do work well. Go to both dealers and try each one out cutting wood and see which one feels better.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Cut4fun

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 15, 2008, 08:42:41 PM
I know this wasn't on your choice, but is great when on a budget and for the homeowner firewood cutter types. Poulan Pro 330 54cc comes with 3/8 FC 050 22" b+c (to much bar for hardwoods with bar buried IMO, been there) for $279. Magnesium case with a 2 piece muffler that is easily opened to let it breath and carb with pull off limiters to allow for carb adjustments.
Just my 2cents for homeowner types.
TSC's are selling the last of the good Poulans out and will no longer be restocked. Hear say is EPA has gotten this model and the epa models will be the only ones left.
They are selling them off for $200-$220 if you are lucky enough to find one. Good Luck. 

Also if you ruin the 54cc topend, you can replace it with a 60cc topend. I had one and it ran ever bit as good as my stihl 361 that cost close to $600 new. No brainier for a homeowner.

oregon101

Well I think I'm leaning to the 346xp.  Does anyone still sell them mail order?

Al_Smith

There isn't any simple answer to what size  or brand  .There are a few that swear you have to have a thousand dollar MS 660 to cut firewood .I disagree .

4 or 5 cords is about the average for the widwest usage of firewood .The saw however depends on several things,first is money .A pro model ,Stihl Huskie ,whatever is nice but really not needed.New or used ,depends on a persons mechanical abilities I suppose.If you can't wrench them ,stay with a brand that has good local support.

If you can turn a wrench,good dependable used saws are available at a fraction of the price of a new one. A few might turn up their noses but a good old PM 610 Mac is a good old reliable 60 cc saw that will hang with the best of them.Often for less than 100 bucks in nice shape . It  might be a little heavy but gets the job done.

Another is the Stihl 038 .Models are from slightly over 60 cc to slightly over 70 depending on which variation .Most likely one of the better models that Stihl ever produced. A clean one will fetch 2-300 .

Lots of ideas,good luck .

Cut4fun

Quote from: oregon101 on February 17, 2008, 11:09:48 PM

Husky says no, but use the PHONE (remember those things  ;)) and call the # listed for the old online dealers and get you the saw.  Hope that answered your     question in a round about way.

There is 2 346's out, 45cc and 50cc. The new one has grey bar cover and a little heavier and bulker built from what I am seeing and reading.

oregon101

Well I ordered the 346 XP from my local dealer today.  I got it for $475 with an extra chain.  It only was about a $25 difference over mail ordering it.  Should be in Thursday.  Thanks for all the advice!

SawTroll

Quote from: oregon101 on February 15, 2008, 09:52:07 AM
  I did include the 346XP new addition in my list.  I think that is the 346NE you are talking about.  I see on the Husky website that the 346 comes as an Etech model and non Etech.  Is anyone better than the other?
Non E-tech is preferable, as the engine will run cooler and last longer. The cat muffler also steals some power, but maybe not that much (debatable).

The muffler is the only differense, and if you can't get a non-Etech one, you can just swap out the muffler.

The NE346xp is a very nice saw to use - light and nimble, with good power over a pretty broad power-band.   8) 8)

Don't use the decomp valve, but use the air purge when cold starting it.

The 350 is a good saw for the money, but not really comparable at all.

The MS260 is way overpriced in the US....
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 18, 2008, 01:35:36 PM
Quote from: oregon101 on February 17, 2008, 11:09:48 PM

There is 2 346's out, 45cc and 50cc. The new one has grey bar cover and a little heavier and bulker built from what I am seeing and reading.

No bulkier, but .4lbs heavier.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: oregon101 on February 15, 2008, 09:52:07 AM
Non E-tech is preferable, as the engine will run cooler and last longer. The cat muffler also steals some power, but maybe not that much (debatable).

The muffler is the only differense, and if you can't get a non-Etech one, you can just swap out the muffler.

The NE346xp is a very nice saw to use - light and nimble, with good power over a pretty broad power-band.   8) 8)

Don't use the decomp valve, but use the air purge when cold starting it.

The 350 is a good saw for the money, but not really comparable at all.

The MS260 is way overpriced in the US, compared to the Huskys, Dolmars etc....
Information collector.

oregon101

Well my new saw finally came in today but they sent an Etech version instead of a non Etech!  I'm about ready to pull out what little hair I have.  They told me they were on backorder after getting my money and order.  Are these saws really this hard to get in Oregon?  They are calling tomorrow to see how long to get the correct saw.  Any advice?

SawTroll

If they accepted an order for a non E-tech, and delivered an E-tech, I believe they owe you an non E-tech muffler, a gray fuel cap, and a carb adjust for the new muffler - and a new recoil sticker LOL!   :P
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!