iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATS

Started by Robt, February 13, 2008, 09:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robt

Are there any owners of Peterson ATS out there?Are you pleased with the machine?Any complaints?What mods have been done?Any serious limitations?I made a similar post on the skillmill a few days ago but no owners of that mill have replied.The ATS is the machine I really want if I can figure out how to afford it

jbeat

Robt., I've had a 27 h.p. 8" A.T.S. for about two years. Probably sawn 12,000 bd. ft. with no problems. The mill has performed well at cutting from 1x4s to 8x16s. All the customers have been pleased with the trueness of the lumber. I find the mill to cut any wood accurately - even frozen logs. I've not made nor do I see the need for any modifications. Since new, I've spent $15.00 on a spring and had the two blades gone over twice at about $30.00 each. Total maintenance about $135.00 plus a couple of oil changes. It truly is a well designed and fabricated mill plus the Peterson customer support is outstanding. As far as limitations, the mill will do much more than advertised. Remember the Wisc. redwood? Feel free to call with any further questions.
John Beathard  London, Oh.
740-272-6298
John B

Part_Timer

Robt,  I have an 8"25hp ATS.  It's been a good machine over the last 2 1/2 years.  Tears down easy and it is very portabel.  It is very easy to maintain.  I've canged the gearbox oil 2x and have not had the need to change any rollers yet.   I have no idea of how many bf have been through it but it has been a bunch.  I have the micro kerf set up and it works fine as does the lap siding attachment.  The anti-vibe kit has been a big help with the "bounce" I would get in an 8" vertical cut.

If I were going to change anything I'd have bought the 27hp option.  Yes 2hp does make a big differance.  White oak and Osage are no problem and frozen logs just slow you down a bit but still cut fine.  Blades are easy to adjust and sharpening is not a problem.

No customer complaints to date.  Peterson's phone and email support is outstanding.

Disclaimer.  I worked for Peterson's as an RC for a year until the day job got in the way.   
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

andybuildz

not to hijack this thread...maybe just an aside? So why does Peterson say that the ATS is more of a hobbyist mill vs the Winch model? I know the single crank adjustment at the front of the mill on the Winch model makes it faster than the dbl crank on the ATS...and the ATS I think is limited to 20'ers? The frame is also lighter weight but motors are the same.
Is there really that big a differance in the two models? I'm also interested in hearing how you guys like these models.
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Captain

Andy, there is just way more walking involved in a day of sawing on an ATS vs a WPF.  Not to mention the fact that you must work out of the ends of the mill instead of enjoying the ease materials movement that the low track (or tracks) in the WPF provides.  IF your help is properly trained to handle the vertical drops on the saw, an ATS can speed up considerably.  Every time the sawyer walks around to lower the tracks on an ATS, I can cut another board with the WPF.

Both great mills with great capabilities.

Captain

Captain

I am NOT going to get into a Lucas vs Peterson argument here.  I will state that with the Lucas, you have to walk to both ends of the mill to lower your track, and yes that is more walking.

Captain

Robt

How does the ATS 8 inch with the 13hp perform?

solodan

Quote from: Captain on February 14, 2008, 07:39:23 PM

I am NOT going to get into a Lucas vs Peterson argument here.  I will state that with the Lucas, you have to walk to both ends of the mill to lower your track...

:D :D See what you went and started. This is how we accurately deal with taper. Or cut tapered posts with ease. ;D Definately more walking though. >:(  unless you have a competent tail man. ::) I think the ATS is a better choice than a WPF in the case of bringing the mill into the woods. For a more permanent setup I think the WPF would be better. I actully wish Lucas made a WPF type setup cause I would have both types of frames. I think I will build one. Hey Captain, would my Lucas center unit fit in that WPF frame you have? ??? ???

Captain

I've got to be honest Dan, I'm not sure.  I can say that is HAS been done, but it required some modificaton to the transverse bar on the rear to accomodate the Lucas Center Unit.

BTW, I've got 2 frames.... :)

Captain

andybuildz

just a short note in case there's any confusion in the posts I made. I removed one of my posts b/c I thought it might have been innapropriate to list prices regarding whether  the prices I was asking about were valid or not. I think if something's worth it to you then thats the answer. I'll just rephrase my questions better in the future. And now back to our regular programming::)
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Part_Timer

GOI had a 10" 13hp and he said it worked just fine.  You just need to keep the blades sharp.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ErikC

I have the WPF, it was 13hp. When I upgraded to the 8" blade it cut fine. I wasn't dissapointed at all. But the bigger motors will cut a fair amount faster.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Woodtik

I have the 8"ATS 27 :'(. If your going to buy a swingblade sawmill, get the WPF with DC winch, or else get a bandmill in your budget. Just trying to save you grief. If I elaborate, the sponsor wouldn't like it. Don't get a Kohler.
   I ended up buying parts to build new center supports for the track so they could be tied in with the winches. You end up running around in circles working by yourself tightening and loosening the handles for each size change. Don't start a business with an ATS. Only for temporary use in backwoods, with help, getting rare wood. I went broke with mine after 1 year of effort.
Dusty I am , to making dust I will return.

Woodtik

Robt
My last post was narrow minded and cingulate. More practical advice would be for you to visit an ATS owner or even two. Have a candid discussion about your own expectations and goals with this tool. Since many here are happy with the ATS, it shows great potential for you to be no different in your experience with Peterson Mills, even the ATS. I'm just kicking my own self for being short sighted and too inexperienced to have fully forseen the scope of effort needed to satisfy every nuance involving setup to correct sawn lumber. It isn't practical to make a DVD 8 hours long showing every misstep. So as you work out your financials , by all means make every effort to see one in action. Ask to try it... the whole process. Tear it down, put it back and so on. Obvious talk that you'll find here concerning any mill consideration. Many fellows add a bandsaw asap and then have the best of both worlds. If I could, I'd get that frame from Captain and convert over to WPF. 
   Feel free to let us all know what you end up getting. 
Dusty I am , to making dust I will return.

beenthere

Quote from: Woodtik on February 18, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
My last post was narrow minded and cingulate. ............................

Cingulate...interesting word, and wondering what you meant by it....not one (of many) in my vocabulary.  :)

Found definitions, but were reltated to medical terms...or to the brain.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

cin·gu·lum  (snggy-lm)
n. pl. cin·gu·la (-l) Biology
A girdlelike marking or structure, such as a band or ridge, on an animal.
[Latin, girdle, from cingere, to gird; see kenk- in Indo-European roots.]
cingu·late (-lt), cingu·lated (-ltd) adj.

Striped?  ;D

Maybe meant singular?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

getoverit

I had a 10" ATS witha 13hp Honda on it. It cut fine for me. I'm sure I could have probably cut faster with a larger motor, but I could still do over 1000bdft of pine 2x6's in a day easy. I cut up live oak, hickory, cherry, and most any other kind of hardwood you could immagine too.

I did have aproblem witht bouncing, but the Peterson People were simply outstanding in helping me get ways to solve that problem.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jbeat

Ah, speed, it ain't everything. Production, expenses, profit-it's all relevant. Working steadily with a supply of logs and some sort of loader you could expect to produce, from placing the log on the bunks to throwing the last smidgen of a slab off, about 120 bd. ft. per hour with an A.T.S..  At .40 bd. ft. less some fuel, that isn't too bad. Sure, a Winch Prod. Frame would increase production but not very much if you're working alone since alot of the hour is spent loading the log and off-bearing the lumber. You can only cut as fast as you can carry lumber from the mill. Now, you could hire a helper, pay the costs associated with employees, hope the employee is dependable and make a stack in a hurry with a W.P.F. but where would you be in the end ? Heck, if they were available, I would have bought a W.P.F. 30 yrs. ago but now all I want to keep up with is an A.T.S.. If you have help, wife, kids or any one else you can torture then get a W.P.F.. Go run both, you'll see they're both good, one just a little handier. I chose an A.T.S. because it was one that I could afford and I wanted to work alone. I have no regrets after two years. Good luck and keep us posted. Jbeat
John B

Thank You Sponsors!