iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1000 Island Dressing

Started by Norm, February 13, 2008, 05:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We had a slow day at the office so the boys gave us the afternoon off! Well I really think they just want to get rid of us to plot their overthrow of the company. :D

We're trying to eat more salads but I'm not much of a store bought dressing fan so the last couple of years I've been making my own.

You start off with.....

3 fresh egg yolks. I try to get them fresh from our hens but store bought ones work fine too.
1 tablespoon of ground mustard
2 tsps of fine ground salt, popcorn salt is what I use
1/8th cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
2 limes squeezed
1 cup of safflower oil, if you can get louAanas it's the best I've tried

Everything but the oil goes into a food processor, pulse a couple of times to incorporate then run while slowly streaming in the oil.

You will end up with a pseudo mayo at that point.

Into that I add a couple of tablespoons of each of these. Process for a minute or less to blend.

Empty into a mason jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Since I make this quite often I know the recipe by heart but even following one it only takes about 15 minutes to make. Keep in mind that this has raw egg in it and if you are unsure of your egg source to be careful. Me I wash mine in hot water to make sure not to contaminate the insides. Also I would be careful to use it for potato salad or such without making sure it stays refrigerated. I also use it in place of mayo on sandwhiches. Very tasty!

submarinesailor

Norm,

Back a hundred years ago, aka 1965, I worked in a Tastee Freeze.  The owner, Paul Kline, had come up with what he called his "Everything Sauce" for the hot dogs and hamburgers.  Basically it was the same as your sauce, but we used mayo from a big plastic jugs instead of making it.  We had people come for miles around the Manassas area just for a hamburger or hot dog with this sauce on it.

Dave Buck – Have you ever had an Ice Cream at the Kline's Freeze on Route 28 in front of Manassas Park or the one that just closed out on the Nokesville side of Manassas.  Same family.......  I started at a whole dollar an hour.  6 months later, I was making $1.30 per hour.  It jumped to a $1.35 when I started dated one of his 7 daugthers. 8) 8) 8)  But, he fired me when he found out I was chasing other girls. :o :o :o  Hey---- I was a 16 year old teenager - what else did we do at that age. ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D

Bruce

Patty

I put this stuff on everything...sandwiches, salads, in deviled eggs, any place you would use ketchup, mustard, or mayo you can use this instead. It is most tastey!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Engineer

I've done thousand island without making your own mayo first.  Basically just half a jar of generic mayo, a half cup, each, of dill pickles and sweet pickles (can use chunks, slices or relish), about a third that amount of sweet pepper rings, some diced onion, some tomato paste, some garlic and fresh black pepper.  Whiz in food processor, pour into mason jar, good to go.  I don't measure, really, just put in what looks good and appeals to taste.

Patty

That is the way we made it for the restaurant, Engineer. I just did not have the time to make the mayo, so we used the stuff in the jar. The customers still seemed to like it tho.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!